Sad News--- "MCA" of The Beastie Boys reported dead at 47 (1 Viewer)

I didn't love the more "rock" sounds they did. IMO they were more innovative/creative, maybe even to the point I would call them "progressive" when they built their sounds out of samples, loops and layers. That's why I keep going back to Paul's Boutique and Hello Nasty instead of Ill Communication or Check Your head. And I mean, I am a rock/metal guy, it's not like I don't dig guitars. They just did the other side of it better. JMO of course.
You do know that "Sabotage" was a homage and an anthem the group wanted to record to their fans, musicians, and critics that they started out being a punk band or were influenced by the CBGB classic Bowery punk bands of the late 1970's Ramones, Television, New York Dolls, The Talking Heads, and later on Fear.

You do know that "Sabotage" was a homage and an anthem the group wanted to record to their fans, musicians, and critics that they started out being a punk band or were influenced by the CBGB classic Bowery punk bands of the late 1970's Ramones, Television, New York Dolls, The Talking Heads, and later on Fear.

lol, the song is about their producer, Mario C

and they had done rock/punk songs on Check Your Head, 2 years before Ill Communication

lol, the song is about their producer, Mario C

and they had done rock/punk songs on Check Your Head, 2 years before Ill Communication
They might've done rock/punk songs before on previous albums, but still,.there was a segment of their fan base and the even larger music community who werent aware of their hardcore punk past or they still viewed them as mainly a rap/Hip-Hop predominant group of artists. "Sabotage" was a song that showed mainstream, more general music-buying public they were capable of incorporating other genres or sub-genres of music and maybe do a little research on the band's past and previous rock/punk-related songs on other albums before like you mentioned.

I hate to make general, over-simplistic arguments/observations but in the days before the Internet and social media outlets, the typical pop music fan individually wasnt as aware or as knowledgable about emerging musical trends, scenes, or more older, obscure bands that influenced their era's most successful bands, or artists or cult bands that left behind a huge legacy but werent particularly successful in their primes. Even in the early-mid 1990's when Internet was still in its infancy and social media outlets like YouTube werent even theoretical constructs, I think this generalization still applied unlike today in 2021 where so much information, history and news is so readily available on one's iPad, or IPod every day at any moment.

I mean, how many rock fans or people in general knew about or were aware of the burgeoning, growling grunge scene emerging out of the PNW before the late 80's/early 1990's outside of regional cities like Portland, Seattle or Vancouver, BC? Back then, the PNW was perceived as geographically and economically isolated and there werent a huge, diverse amount of huge rock bands or artists who came to Seattle or Portland back in 70's and 80's, so in many respects they were left to their own devices and create their own very unique, distinct sound and subculture. How many ordinary rock fans generally didnt know about the Sonics? Even the MC5 or the Stooges from late 60's Detroit volatile rock scene? I didnt find out about them until maybe the late 90's when I was a junior in high school.

Last edited:
It’s interesting that while many of us grew up with the Beastie Boys (listening to their music, wearing their style, etc.), honestly it wasn’t until the Beastie Boys Book came out that you really learned who these three guys were (and the people who surrounded them coming up, and til the end). Those guys lived life at 12 while most of us thought they only took it to 11.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom