Question Safety issue question (1 Viewer)

parlorcitysaint

WhoDat in exile.
Reaction score
I've got a co-worker (machine shop) who loves to randomly yell "WOOOOO" loudly throughout the day. I probably hear it 6 or 8 times a day.

Number one, I'm one of those Uber focused/startles easy kind of people. I HATE being startled. I do everything I can to avoid startling others.

Number two, I've already had 3 heart attacks, and don't need another.

Is there an OSHA regulation regarding unnecessary vocal outbursts in the workplace? Aside from being wholely unprofessional, it's really starting to get on my nerves.

I don't know about OSHA, there's some plant ops guys here that probably know better, but my sense is that it's more along the lines of disability accommodation. Even if it isn't a specific legal disability (and three heart attacks might well be, I don't know), it seems you have a basis to request assistance with having the person told not to do that. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me at all.

I think the first step is always just asking the supervisory chain for assistance. It's not until they refuse that you look to whether it's an accommodation or safety/OSHA issue.

The direct approach should not be discounted.
tenor.gif

I've got a co-worker (machine shop) who loves to randomly yell "WOOOOO" loudly throughout the day. I probably hear it 6 or 8 times a day.

Number one, I'm one of those Uber focused/startles easy kind of people. I HATE being startled. I do everything I can to avoid startling others.

Number two, I've already had 3 heart attacks, and don't need another.

Is there an OSHA regulation regarding unnecessary vocal outbursts in the workplace? Aside from being wholely unprofessional, it's really starting to get on my nerves.
Let me preface this by first saying that I agree you shouldn't need to put up with that AND that it is a potential safety issue

However, if you are worried about him setting off a third heart attack by shouting WOOOOO then I don't know that a machine shop is where you should be working

I don't know about OSHA, there's some plant ops guys here that probably know better, but my sense is that it's more along the lines of disability accommodation. Even if it isn't a specific legal disability (and three heart attacks might well be, I don't know), it seems you have a basis to request assistance with having the person told not to do that. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me at all.

I think the first step is always just asking the supervisory chain for assistance. It's not until they refuse that you look to whether it's an accommodation or safety/OSHA issue.
In other matters, I've gotten zero support from management, but that's a first shift/second shift rift.

The guy in question in this matter is the foreman's "go to guy"...

Why not just yell at him to shut .................. up?

Yelling AT someone or using ANY profanity is a severe infraction, and will not be tolerated. The first offense can lead to reprimand or termination.

Also, Chuck, please see your messages regarding a separate matter, thank you

In other matters, I've gotten zero support from management, but that's a first shift/second shift rift.

sheet better slow down and think about this....your life could become miserable really quick

I would do some research before going any further (I actually went and googled farther vs further lol)

Is it an osha violation? Can you get proof or trust anybody to back you? Do you live in a single party state for purposes of recording a conversation?

Yelling AT someone or using ANY profanity is a severe infraction, and will not be tolerated. The first offense can lead to reprimand or termination.

Also, Chuck, please see your messages regarding a separate matter, thank you
There should be a company protocol in place, that explicitly talks about “horse play” as a safety issue and is prohibited. Company safety policies, along with video examples are the best means to convey this type of prohibited behavior by both direct employees and contractors alike. If there is nothing like I have mentioned, you are in a position that is very difficult to handle.

I know in the business I work in, pertro-chemical/refining/manufacturing, that type of act is strictly prohibited. If it is repetitive in nature and after the employee has been warned it is against the company safety policy, it still continues, the employee can be terminated. And of course, in a state such as Louisiana, any employee can be walked to the door on any given day, at any given time, to be terminated without cause.

Not sure of what I have provided helps you in your particular case, but at least it is something you can begin looking into. You may need to go directly to HR with it though, since the employee you are talking about has some sort of “go to guy” relationship with the foreman.

Tough position you are in.

Definitely couch this as a safety issue. Something about potentially getting startled and losing a finger/hand in some machinery. Maybe screw something up real bad the next time dude yells while you are working and tell them it was because this guy startles you frequently and you hope the next time it isn't your arm or hand that is injured instead of some random piece of metal.

To answer a few questions:

I'm in New York state. Definitely NOT a "one party" state. All parties involved must be aware that they're being recorded. In addition, my employer has policies in place prohibiting any recording devices on site (cell phones in lockers, etc)

My company is known worldwide, and is owned by an even larger international corporation. As such, there are oodles of rules in place regarding safety, including horseplay.

And yeah. At this company, if a fist is thrown, that person is gone. Period. Fight or flight response is not recognized.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom