Saint Ace's 1st Round Saints Big Board (1 Viewer)

The Saints really run with a 3-safety base. They play a traditional free safety (currently played by Byrd) that plays deeper zones, a traditional strong safety (currently played by Harper, and previously Bush) that covers intermediate zones and assists in strong side run defense, and a OLB/S hybrid (currently played by Vaccaro) who plays man against opposing TEs or bigger slot receivers and assisting in strong side run defense. Bell is essentially our dime safety, serving as a second FS.

Peppers helped the Saints year one by immediately bring one of the best returners in the game. He will also be a stud on special team defense. The guy is made to be a special teams standout.

He helps the Saints year one as a defender by replacing Harper as the Saints traditional strong safety. He was absolutely made for the role. He will dominate intermediate zone coverage while Vaccaro goes man against the opposing team's TE or big slot receiver.

But where he really comes into value is year two. What happens with Vaccaro and Byrd? Having Peppers would make the blow of losing Vaccaro palatable. If Byrd is cut...Bell becomes a starting FS, and Peppers becomes even more essential as a third safety. There are some that believe that Peppers can be a free safety or CB...I don't think it would be ideal. But with Bell...the Saints wouldn't be in that position for a while.

Nooooo. Bell has been playing SS. Was playing way more snaps than Harper before Vaccaro's suspension. Bell is really good in the box. He's a lot like Vaccaro, really. I'm not sure if he should be a pure FS. He has looked good at SS. Harper is only playing a lot now because of Vaccaro's suspension. If Bell was playing dime safety he wouldn't have been getting almost 100% of the defensive snaps. If we draft a safety in the first round it should be Malik Hooker, but I think he's staying in school. He's a true ball hawking FS.

Nooooo. Bell has been playing SS. Was playing way more snaps than Harper before Vaccaro's suspension. Bell is really good in the box. He's a lot like Vaccaro, really. I'm not sure if he should be a pure FS. He has looked good at SS. Harper is only playing a lot now because of Vaccaro's suspension. If Bell was playing dime safety he wouldn't have been getting almost 100% of the defensive snaps. If we draft a safety in the first round it should be Malik Hooker, but I think he's staying in school. He's a true ball hawking FS.

When I've seen Bell on the field, it's been in two-FS sets along with Byrd. I don't typically see him lined up in the box. Typically Harper has been that guy if we have two SS's on the field (along with Vaccaro). But maybe I'm wrong...I haven't gone out of my way to see exactly what's happening on the third level, and it's not always visible on TV.

When I've seen Bell on the field, it's been in two-FS sets along with Byrd. I don't typically see him lined up in the box. Typically Harper has been that guy if we have two SS's on the field (along with Vaccaro). But maybe I'm wrong...I haven't gone out of my way to see exactly what's happening on the third level, and it's not always visible on TV.

DA runs a cover 2 scheme. So the SS is playing high a lot. Which is why Bell fits perfectly in that role. He can play high, in the box, or man up in the slot if needed. Harper hasn't played all that much, until Vaccaro's suspension. Harper has been the 4th safety and when he comes in he does play in the box usually, because he can be a liability in coverage.

I really can't tell you with 100% confidence that we wouldn't draft Peppers. It is possible they see Bell as the heir apparent to Byrd. But from what I've seen, I think Bell should stay at SS. Bell and Peppers in a cover 2 could be nasty I guess, but neither has proven to be a ball hawking type safety from what I've seen. I would like to have that type to eventually replace Byrd, because we need interceptions from someone.

The Saints really run with a 3-safety base. They play a traditional free safety (currently played by Byrd) that plays deeper zones, a traditional strong safety (currently played by Harper, and previously Bush) that covers intermediate zones and assists in strong side run defense, and a OLB/S hybrid (currently played by Vaccaro) who plays man against opposing TEs or bigger slot receivers and assisting in strong side run defense. Bell is essentially our dime safety, serving as a second FS.

Peppers helped the Saints year one by immediately bring one of the best returners in the game. He will also be a stud on special team defense. The guy is made to be a special teams standout.

He helps the Saints year one as a defender by replacing Harper as the Saints traditional strong safety. He was absolutely made for the role. He will dominate intermediate zone coverage while Vaccaro goes man against the opposing team's TE or big slot receiver.

But where he really comes into value is year two. What happens with Vaccaro and Byrd? Having Peppers would make the blow of losing Vaccaro palatable. If Byrd is cut...Bell becomes a starting FS, and Peppers becomes even more essential as a third safety. There are some that believe that Peppers can be a free safety or CB...I don't think it would be ideal. But with Bell...the Saints wouldn't be in that position for a while.

I'm thinking along the same lines as you. I'd love to have Peppers, but I'd be slightly more excited to get a top notch DE because of the need.

Ace is right.

Harper is starting at SS now becaus Bell was moved to Vaccaros spot in the 3Set. Also why he's been getting burned more as of late. Then in Dime Bell kicks back to SS. With all health Bell/Byrd are your 2 High Safeties and Vaccaro is your hybrid.

Updated now that our draft position is set at 11. Also added Malik Hooker since I think he will enter the draft.

Updated after watching some more film. Going to try not to touch it again until after the combine.

This is exactly why I think the Saints should go after JPP in FA. With the Dline shored up that allows us to draft Hooker at 11.
3 Safety Base:
JPP-Fairley-Rankins-Cam
KV-Robertson/Anthony
Breaux-Draft Pick/PJW/-Wilson/Swann/Moore
Bell/Hooker

We could cover up the CB2 problems by rushing 4 and putting a S over the top. Hooker with his amazing range would be able to make some plays on the ball and do what we all wanted Byrd to do when he first arrived in NOLA. Would open everything up Hooker can play cover 2 and break on a lot of balls or Cover 1 single high and still play well as the last line of defense.

The Saints really run with a 3-safety base.

Yes, but there's a reason for that. Coach quoted (paraphrased) "trying to get the best talent on the field - when you feel you're a bit light at the linebacker position".

After this draft and FA, we might not be running a 3 safety base anymore.

When it's all said and done, I think Takk McKinley will be a top ten guy. I think he's the best pass rusher after Garrett. Like Rankins last year, Takk totally fits the bill of a pressure player. Given the uncertainty with Kikaha, I think adding a true pass rusher like McKinley would be huge for our D.

I really cant wait for the combine.... I wanna see how some of the LBs that are not the most talented but look to have football instincts and see how they stack up in speed and strength.... the one i have in mind is I believe Cinchy from wisconsin... All those bama players would be more appealing to me had they all been on different teams... but when there all on the same team, that should make them look better than they really are?

I would only want to give a top ten after the combine... I mean if Fournette runs a sub 4.6 he will shoot to the top 3 I believe.... and in my book he would be 1st pick especially for a Browns Franchise.... Also Adams, I am still puzzled how he can be ranked so high.... I did not see the play of a top 10 draft pick from Adams...

I really cant wait for the combine.... I wanna see how some of the LBs that are not the most talented but look to have football instincts and see how they stack up in speed and strength.... the one i have in mind is I believe Cinchy from wisconsin... All those bama players would be more appealing to me had they all been on different teams... but when there all on the same team, that should make them look better than they really are?

I would only want to give a top ten after the combine... I mean if Fournette runs a sub 4.6 he will shoot to the top 3 I believe.... and in my book he would be 1st pick especially for a Browns Franchise.... Also Adams, I am still puzzled how he can be ranked so high.... I did not see the play of a top 10 draft pick from Adams...

I think pre combine rankings can be better than post combine. People tend to put more weight into the combine than they should, scouts included IMO.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom