Saints Saint Free Agent signings you were excited about but ended up going bust. (1 Viewer)

Yup, first two that came to mind. God, they were both trash.
I remember talking with a Cowboy fan before the start of the 2015 season and he was asking me who do we have a CB, and I told him about BB and the asked me again "WHO do y'all have a CB?" lol. He was basically telling me that BB wasn't anyone, and I thought he just hating. Come to find out he wasn't, smh

Back in 2003, I stated that the Saints should sign Orlando Ruff away from the San Diego Chargers. I thought Ruff would be a stud LB for the Saints and give the defense just what it needed.

As fate would have it, the Saints signed Ruff. I was STOKED!

He flopped. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Talent wise he wasn't bad. However our DC was terrible, which made everyone else look bad.

IMO, Browner was by far the biggest bust and worst signing. He actively made the team worse when he was on the field.

There were some great names mentioned though: Louis Lipps, Tootie Robbins (RIP), Michael Haynes, Eric Allen. Here are a couple of guys who surprisingly haven't been mentioned: Brad Muster and Andre Royal.

I remember my first reaction to the Byrd signing. I was thrilled. But very soon, I heard a radio interview with Wade Phillips. He’s never been a trash talker, but he was straightforward in stating, “it looks like the Saints paid top dollar for an average Safety.” It was one of many statements and it wasn’t the centerpiece of the interview so there was no elaboration. My heart sunk because I believe that Phillips knew more about Defensive talent than nearly anybody in the NFL at that time.

I was living in New England at the time so I knew what we were getting with Tebucky.

Heath Shuler, CJ Spiller, Jaryius Byrd, Brandon Browner & Jason David (didn't like them anyway but didn't think they'd suck that bad), Colby Fleener, Adrian Peterson, Jared Cook. I'm sure there are many others I'm missing

Byrd just leaps off the page. He made this team look like a dream team. We all know about how paper dream teams usually go but you can’t help but get excited when it’s your team.
I lived through the Bum days so I know better than to get excited about the signings past their peak regardless of the name.

Jim Everett.

Not sure how Everett could be considered a bust here. He was 31 and started every game in the 3 years he played here. And from what I remember, they got rid of all his weapons before his third and last season. Here are his numbers while in the black and gold:

Att​
Comp​
Yards​
Cmp%​
TD​
INT​
958​
157110,62261%6034

You can put Champ Bailey on the list as signed way passed his prime. I still like Champ though. I wasn’t expecting much from him put hoped he would of gave more.

Not a free agent signing, but I was stoked as a kid when the Saints traded for Earl Campbell. I loved him when he was an Oiler and was too young to realize he was done by the time Bum Phillips traded a first rd pick for him. I didn’t understand why my dad was not happy about the trade until I saw him actually play for the Saints.

Us old-timers have seen a lot of bad decision making and bad football over the years.

Not a free agent signing, but I was stoked as a kid when the Saints traded for Earl Campbell. I loved him when he was an Oiler and was too young to realize he was done by the time Bum Phillips traded a first rd pick for him. I didn’t understand why my dad was not happy about the trade until I saw him actually play for the Saints.

Us old-timers have seen a lot of bad decision making and bad football over the years.

Same Earl the Pearl is still my fave running back of all time. He got here and it was then I realized that he was not the same back I remember watching as a kid. I still remember when he broke a long run...I was like "there it is!"...then someone ran him down from behind and punched the ball out before he scored.

I remember my first reaction to the Byrd signing. I was thrilled. But very soon, I heard a radio interview with Wade Phillips. He’s never been a trash talker, but he was straightforward in stating, “it looks like the Saints paid top dollar for an average Safety.” It was one of many statements and it wasn’t the centerpiece of the interview so there was no elaboration. My heart sunk because I believe that Phillips knew more about Defensive talent than nearly anybody in the NFL at that time.

I was living in New England at the time so I knew what we were getting with Tebucky.
I'm glad those days are over with. I didn't know anything about Byrd, but I thought he was going to bring a "Sammy Knight" type of presence to our defense. Boy were we wrong lol

Since Free Agency is about to occur shortly. I thought discussing this would be fun. Nothing like reminiscing on Free Agent signings gone bad.

In the 90s i was excited about the signing of Hastings, he was really good in Pittsburgh but had a rough go of it in N.O.

Another signing i was excited about to was Albert Connell but his lackluster play in N.O and character issues made him perhaps one of the worst Free Agent signings i can think. I thought at the time him with Willie Jackson and Joe Horn would make for lethal recieving corp.

Without questions, Jaruis Byrd! What a bust!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom