Saints Saint Free Agent signings you were excited about but ended up going bust. (1 Viewer)

I remember being excited for the Eric Allen signing in 1995, but then all teams had to do was run and pass at the positions left open by the departed Dome Patrol stars. Allen barely registered a blip with the Saints.

I remember being excited for the Eric Allen signing in 1995, but then all teams had to do was run and pass at the positions left open by the departed Dome Patrol stars. Allen barely registered a blip with the Saints.

He was pretty awful here.
Was also my first taste of players getting into the Pro Bowls based on reputation alone

Was going to mention Earl Campbell and Kenny Stabler. I was young then and wasn't aware fully of what a pounding these guys had taken before they got here.

Not a free agent signing, but I was stoked as a kid when the Saints traded for Earl Campbell. I loved him when he was an Oiler and was too young to realize he was done by the time Bum Phillips traded a first rd pick for him. I didn’t understand why my dad was not happy about the trade until I saw him actually play for the Saints.

Us old-timers have seen a lot of bad decision making and bad football over the years.
If we're adding trades, then I'll add Heath Shuler. Ugh.

Dwight Smith. I remember watching that GIF of him punishing someone, got super excited. Only to be ultimately letdown

Since Free Agency is about to occur shortly. I thought discussing this would be fun. Nothing like reminiscing on Free Agent signings gone bad.

In the 90s i was excited about the signing of Hastings, he was really good in Pittsburgh but had a rough go of it in N.O.

Another signing i was excited about to was Albert Connell but his lackluster play in N.O and character issues made him perhaps one of the worst Free Agent signings i can think. I thought at the time him with Willie Jackson and Joe Horn would make for lethal recieving corp.
The Byrd signing set the saints back 2-3 years. Our defense was a shell of itself in 2014 versus 2013.

Since Free Agency is about to occur shortly. I thought discussing this would be fun. Nothing like reminiscing on Free Agent signings gone bad.

In the 90s i was excited about the signing of Hastings, he was really good in Pittsburgh but had a rough go of it in N.O.

Another signing i was excited about to was Albert Connell but his lackluster play in N.O and character issues made him perhaps one of the worst Free Agent signings i can think. I thought at the time him with Willie Jackson and Joe Horn would make for lethal recieving corp.
great thread for saint fans like myself who has suffered major disappointment with free agents.

Was going to mention Earl Campbell and Kenny Stabler. I was young then and wasn't aware fully of what a pounding these guys had taken before they got here.
Stabler played good but he couldnt close out games in the fourth quarter. That loss in Dallas was a heart breaker.

I never liked the Spiller signing, I didn't think he was a good fit, I think Payton signed him because he was fast like Reggie but he wasn't the overall athlete that Reggie was.
But Spiller didnt really hurt us we had other stars who could fill in. Correctible mistake

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom