Saintman's Going up the Country thread (1 Viewer)

Saintman2884

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
the title says it all. As a person who prefers living in rural areas or small towns probably in the middle of nowhere, I want to ask the men and women of Sr.com to tell their experiences of going to country towns and small little nick knack hamlets that most people don't even know exist.

My favorite country town would have to be Helen, Georgia or the many small towns in my home state of Alabama. I love going through these towns while I am driving to and from Atlanta or Tennessee. my personal favorite is Creola, Alabama which is only about 30-40 miles from where I currently live.

Do you like going up the country as they say? Going to small towns or rural areas that seem to be more peaceful and tranquil then the hustle and bustle of big cities or huge metropolitans.

Whats your favorite country town or rural area if I could ask more plainly

So which is your favorite Helen or Creola?

I really enjoy Virginia. You've got some ***backwards people, but there is a ton of history and beauty in the Shanandoah valley

If I had to choose Hoya man, it would be Helen by a mile. that town is country with a capital C. It has good food, good culture and good people. You should really go see it. It is kind of hard to find being in the mountains of northeastern Georgia, but its worth every sight seeing venture along the way

>>but its worth every sight seeing venture along the way

Would that be all the barns and birdhouses painted alternatively with "See Ruby Falls" or "See Rock City?" :shrug:

TPS

I really enjoy Virginia. You've got some ***backwards people, but there is a ton of history and beauty in the Shanandoah valley

Me too, Spotsylvania is pretty cool. My brother lives there, and his house is in walking distance to a civil war battlefield and two cemetaries. One Union, one Confederate. The feeling of reverence when I visited was profound. I remember seeing a sign on the battlefield that said "this was the site of a 32" oak tree that was felled by small arms fire".

Cape Cod, TN. Lots of history, wildlife, and beautiful scenery.

Yeah I guess so in a way, Steve. I just like the mood of the places I see. I mean man Stone Mountain, Ga. is a wonderful place to see and experience from a historical perspective, the battle of Atlanta in 1864. that gives me chills big time. But their are other places to see. Chickamagua is another good Civil War battle site, so is Vicksburg which our own Reb Saint has been too on a few occasions being he went to Ole Miss for school and the like.

Their is a lot more to see in these places then just barns or just nothing, I suppose Steve. its history in many ways, American history and it touches us all in different ways

I could live the country life with ease..in my younger years...I use to spend summer vacations with my grandma and grandpa who lived in White Castle, La....sugar cane country...cows...chickens...working in the fields...early to bed...early to rise...yea...I could be a country boy....everyone knows everyone...down home friendly...:9:

I could live the country life with ease..in my younger years...I use to spend summer vacations with my grandma and grandpa who lived in White Castle, La....sugar cane country...cows...chickens...working in the fields...early to bed...early to rise...yea...I could be a country boy....everyone knows everyone...down home friendly...:9:

The last time I saw that many periods, the L.A. Sparks were all hitting their cycle at the same time.

But anyway, I stop in Baker sometimes when I go to Vegas. They have a big thermometer and a lot of dirt. Nobody looks very happy to live there.

White Castle--awesome. You must miss it. Everytime my wife and I drive thru there, (we like the SCENIC route) I'm just wowed by its small town beauty.

Its hard for me to pick a favorite small town, as I love all small towns in La, and East Tx. I had a great time working in Many, La, (NWLA) and living on Toledo Bend nearby.
But I have this desire to have a houseboat and float up & down the bayous in S. La. If i could figure how to make money trapping crawfish, I'd quit my job today.

I get homesick for Tarkington Prairie, Tx. It was my grandparents farm, and school home for me. Dont bother looking it up. Its not even a town. Its on edge of the Big Thicket, and home to numerous cows, and families escaping the rat race. Its one of those places where you can see the whole sky, if that makes sense.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom