Saints’ Juwan Johnson studying Julian Edelman, trying to improve his all-around game (1 Viewer)

For that play, I’m pretty sure Carr picks a side pre snap where he thinks he has the best matchup and checks down if it’s not there. Carr reads zone/match off of Ruggs’ motion, and believes Ruggs can win at the sticks against the soft cushion. The corner matches Ruggs’ route perfectly, and Edwards is covered up on what would be a late throw to the seam, leading Carr to his check down. He’s basically counting on a busted coverage if he scans the opposite side of the field, more often he’ll get sacked looking for it, so he’s not going to find Waller.

They ran the same four verticals concept with motion against the Dolphins in 2020. Carr reads man coverage off Ruggs’ motion and opts for Waller and Renfrow, who switch verticals to create a pick against man. If both are covered, I’m pretty confident the ball is getting checked down and Carr won’t look at the other side.

View attachment trim.FC9F8AAD-A3F1-493A-AE84-CD075F97095C.MOV

Here’s Carr against the Chiefs, reading one half of the four verticals concept and then taking the check down when it isn’t promising. Gruden didn’t want him to try and be a hero, if the throw is no good on one side it will be late on the other (unless there is a busted coverage).

View attachment trim.EFA16825-A56E-416E-9D0B-818FB9DC7106.MOV
I rock with you, @Rouxble, and we have talked enough to where I know you are really speaking from a football POV, so with that out the way, based on what you said, with Gruden, he was only asked to read half the field and then check down? Pre-snap, he knows where he wants to go; motion provides a tell and then from there, half field to check?

I rock with you, @Rouxble, and we have talked enough to where I know you are really speaking from a football POV, so with that out the way, based on what you said, with Gruden, he was only asked to read half the field and then check down? Pre-snap, he knows where he wants to go; motion provides a tell and then from there, half field to check?
Not on all concepts, but yes on four verticals (motion not always included). Like most teams, they run plays where one side is better for attacking the coverage/structure (ex. 1-high vs 2-high, man vs zone) and Carr needed to choose a side he planned to attack based on his pre-snap read.

We can only hope
yeshrug.png

View attachment hope.mp4

*filed under "Gotta Keep The Same Energy"*

That being said, I've been on the Juwan Johnson train since we picked him up because I felt that he could be huge in the pass game (being a converted WR). Last year was the start but I believe he will go off this season.
Moral of the story is that every QB doesn't make the right read 100% of the time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom