Saints’ Malcolm Jenkins says he’s up to the challenge (1 Viewer)

Man, I wish I could give you a dozen green thumbs. Jenkins can't cover as a FS, he **** sure can't cover as a corner.

I think the jury is still out on wether Jenkins can cover. He may not be a Darron Sharper ball hawk, but his rookie year he shut down Wes Welker in the slot in that huge MNF win agains the Patriots.

Jenkins back to Cb, Switch to 3-4, is it me or are Saints fans smarter than we are given credit for?

Sent from phone via Tapatalk

Reggie didn't have a chance? Could have sworn he had a lot of chances but kept running to the sidelines.

I guess the longest punt return td in the playoffs along with the longest rec td and rushing td in the playoff history of the saints mean nothing.

Our safety situation is interesting. Many thought that Vaccaro was signed to help us defense the slot and TE mismatches that are becoming more prevalent in the NFL. It is nice to have a player that is strong in the box for run support as well as proficient in man/press coverage. One would assume that he is being looked at as our future SS and he will primarily push Harper for playing time. I am intrigued with the thought of having a bigger, faster Harper that can actually cover.

Lets be honest, we have struggled covering the better TEs in the league just like Graham is a very tough matchup for many of our opponents. Having a player that can matchup with a gronk or gonzo or Davis is paramount to our defense. When we play San Fran Pat Willis is one of the few players that can cover Jimmy 1-1. He basically shut him down the last time we played them. I am not saying that Vacarro is Willis obviously, but I think the Saints are hoping that he can fill the same role for us.

However based on his recent interviews Jenkins appears to think Vaccaro is a threat to his position. Added is the talk of him being moved to the nickel CB spot and one does have to wonder who 's playtime Vacarro maybe challenging. Of course we want to be versatile and that requires having versatile players, so there is a strong chance that Vacarro will see time on the field as a nickel CB, a SS, and a FS depending on match ups.

There is also talk about us using 3 safeties on the field. I think that is a very like scenario when we play teams with a strong pair of TEs, like New England, or when we play teams with bigger slot WRs. In those situations I can see us using both Jenkins and Vaccaro playing man up on those type of players and Q playing deep safety.

I see Roman being more of a situational scheme speciality player. I see him coming in on run downs (he can match up on a back or TE on a play action, but I would not want him having to do it often) and adding a blitzing threat, whether it is a run or pass play.

If we play a cover 2 she'll defense I like having Q and Jenkins on the field together. I think Jenkins is a good FS, but not a play making FS. He misses too many easy picks, but if we played next to another rangy safety he may get more chances to read and react better to one side of the field. I think the Saints would like to groom Vaccaro to be an every down safety, but he is going to need some reps in the deep half. Personally I think it is easier for most players to transition for a press/ in the box player to a deep safety position because in the deep half you are always facing the ball, from further away, and you are able to see the play develop longer. Playing close to the line results in faster reactions to the play and often the player has to play with their back away from the ball. Vacarro's experience as a manned up in the box safety is something that many college safeties never get to experience enough to develop before they get to the NFL.

So IAQ is proven not a starter by 1 bad game yet people still have faith in Jenkins after 2 bad seasons? And I'm guessing the TB game he started for can't be used as evidence on to why he is a starter?
Let's just say I'll be surprised if IAQ starts this season.

Malcolm Jenkins most definitely underperformed the last two years. But I'm a HUGE Jenkins fan and supporter. I see what he brings to the table, and believe that he is still the guy we saw ball early in his career. Everyone on our D, fell off the last few years, so its not just him, EVERYONE. To me, he clearly has the range and skill set to be one of the best S in the league, but the guy cant do it all by himself. I think its really weird how only "fans" seem to hate Jenkins, while coaches, commentators, and people in the NFL love the guy. With Kenny in the building, the new staff and scheme in place, and the return of Payton, I think Jenkins will remind the haters/doubters exactly why personnel around the league consistently give him props.

Malcolm Jenkins most definitely underperformed the last two years. But I'm a HUGE Jenkins fan and supporter. I see what he brings to the table, and believe that he is still the guy we saw ball early in his career. Everyone on our D, fell off the last few years, so its not just him, EVERYONE. To me, he clearly has the range and skill set to be one of the best S in the league, but the guy cant do it all by himself. I think its really weird how only "fans" seem to hate Jenkins, while coaches, commentators, and people in the NFL love the guy. With Kenny in the building, the new staff and scheme in place, and the return of Payton, I think Jenkins will remind the haters/doubters exactly why personnel around the league consistently give him props.

I agree with almost everything you are saying, but the truth is he is not a top safety in the league because he does not make enough plays on the ball eve when they hit him right in the hands. You have to make those plays. You have to offset the plays you give up. Jenkins and Harper do not make enough plays in coverage or in the deep half. It is not just the scheme or the other players. Jenkins needs to step up his game as an individual.

So IAQ is proven not a starter by 1 bad game yet people still have faith in Jenkins after 2 bad seasons? And I'm guessing the TB game he started for can't be used as evidence on to why he is a starter?
To be fair to Malcolm, he was put in horrible positions both years. Under GW, there was more stress on him than anyone else because we blitzed so much and played 1-1 man coverage, and he was supposed to cover the entire secondary by himself? That's ridiculous, and he did the best that he could given the situation. And under Spags, the entire secondary suffered, especially because we got zero pass rush. Again, not his fault.

I think if he is playing press-man in the slot, he can succeed. I think if he is playing deep FS, and our pass rush improves, then he can succeed. Let's give him a chance in Ryan's 3-4 which should automatically improve the pass rush, but he also puts guys in press-man a lot, which is Jenkins' forte.

Regret to say, if Jenkins truly were up to the challenge, he would not be facing one....

Not all human minds are the same. Sometimes it takes a competition to steer people in the right direction.

Drew Brees for example. Before San Diego drafted Rivers, he was a QB on the way out. The threat of losing his job to Rivers shifted his attitude to obtain his full potential. It caused him to change is diet, workout routine, and study habits. So in a nutshell, Jenkins might respond to this is a positive way.

You know it's the summer dead zone when everyday there's a new article about some player saying he's motivated, up to the challenge, or is going to work harder then anyone.

I hate all the platitudes. Is it August yet?

Perhaps if Malcom .....just played better, starting with the abilities to cover, tackle and be near the ball....and Oh yeah, an "Occasional" interception might be nice at times.

Fifty Seven career NFL games........and FOUR picks.

INTs are a glory stat that fans want. They don't define a player. Jason David led our team in INTs. would you like Jenkins to take after Jason David?

And there's a lot of talk from fans about vaccaro taking harpers spot but the coaches and GM have all been hinting at him being a FS/nickel type player

INTs are a glory stat that fans want. They don't define a player. Jason David led our team in INTs. would you like Jenkins to take after Jason David?

And there's a lot of talk from fans about vaccaro taking harpers spot but the coaches and GM have all been hinting at him being a FS/nickel type player

Turnovers are not a glory stat. That is a ridiculous statement.

Maybe KV will be the perfect compliment to Jenkins. I agree with those that ask about Harper. He has no clue how to cover.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom