Saints’ Malcolm Jenkins says he’s up to the challenge (1 Viewer)

IAQ is one of the better backup safeties in the league I think

....but he's more of a liability in coverage than many people think Jenkins and Harper are

On top of that he's not the best open field tackler...in fact he's pretty bad

People are enamored with his picks but forget that he was getting picked on as soon as he stepped into the starting role

He's a smart, heady, instinctive player, but he's not as good as Jenkins, Harper, or vaccaro

He gives us some versatility in the secondary, but he offers nothing on special teams and is really nothing but a high quality backup
I'm sorry but that's simply not true.

When you give up 4,700 yards passing that says your safety tandem stinks playing two deep coverage. It's impossible to accrue such yardage on short/intermediate routes just beating the CB's. To give up that kind of yardage you have to be getting beat deep, a lot.

And when that same safety tandem only intercepts 3 passes between them the entire year, it says they aren't making plays to offset giving up the big play.

Do they make up for with their ability to play the run in other situations? I'd say no, but I'm not even going to bother arguing about it because metrics don't exist that can accurately measure that except from sources you dismiss anyway.

BTW, Please link to this article you keep mentioning but never linking to.

Might want to check numbers on that. The cushion the cbs played wrs was usually between 5-8 yards which did not help.

MJ27 is not the one that should be worried. Why is Harper so quiet. Its like he think his job cant be taken. Need to give some that money back...No way MJ27 take a backseat.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PvYvU4a0LpQ" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

QB runs down harper and he make pretend he pulled a hammy...Really HARP!!!
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/H84nK2lSw7E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Maybe you're not understanding what I'm saying. I completely understand how important they are, but fans think stats like that are the only things that make players good

That's why they are glory stats. They are the stats that fans want but not the stats that define a successful player

You can be good, like Harper and Jenkins, and not have 10 INTs every season
Sorry, have to disagree. Harper and Jenkins are just not good safeties. Also don't feel it was just the system, it was them. They were not good in G. Wlliams defense nor Spagnolos(made them worse). Watching Jenkins, he is not a natural safety, but is a step slow to play corner at the same time. Harper cannot cover but likes to play around the line of scrimmage and blitz. I have no issue with safeties blitzing or playing around the LOS some, but first and foremost you are a member of the secondary and the last line of defense. That being said your main job is cover in the secondary, and make the tackle in the open field. Maybe Ryan can make it work with one or the other back there, but not both as starting safeties. If both Jenkins and Harper were to start, it would be pretty much the same problems we have had the last few years. It would also mean mean a waste of a pick. You don't pick at 15 for a back up. You pick for a potential game changer, at minimum solid starter right off the bat. If the consensus best safety of this years draft cannot start over one of the consensus two worst safeties in the NFL, then we are in trouble. I like, and wish well for both Harper and jenkins, but its time to move in another direction as far as being the starting safety(at least for one of them).

I also have to say that turnovers are the key stat in football(heard S. Payton say it many times). They define the great defensive players from the average players. They define a QB from being good, great, or solid, to terrible. Getting pressure is great, but QB's like Rodgers, Brees, Manning, and Brady can beat pressure pretty consistently. Take the ball away from them and that is something they can't beat. An example is how we were beating the 49ers last season in the dome. We were in complete control, Brees throws the pass and it hits the 49ers linebacker in the hands. He catches it and takes it to the house for a game changing TD. They go on to defeat us in the second half. If he would have dropped that INT, we in all likelyhood run away with that game. The defensive player made the simple play he needed to make. defensive players making sacks, forcing fumbles, and catching INT's are what makes players good or great along with handling other responsibilities. When you don't do those things (harper & Jenkins), you end up in that average below average range.

Might want to check numbers on that. The cushion the cbs played wrs was usually between 5-8 yards which did not help.

He did and they were posted on the last page...

Only two teams in the NFL (Tampa Bay, New England) gave up more completions of 20+ yards last season than the New Orleans Saints (66)

I like Jenkins. He seems like a good guy and he has a lot of heart and hustle. However, I just believe the experiment at free safety has been a failure. His two biggest plays, that come to mind anyway, are the V Jax play last year and the Roy Williams strip and fumble from 2010. Those were great plays that show he has the passion you like to see in player. I hope I'm wrong and that Ryan can turn his career around.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom