Saints’ Michael Thomas praises Drew Brees, eager to win more ball games (1 Viewer)

mrwhodat

Saintiac
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Article: Saints’ Michael Thomas praises Drew Brees, eager to win more ball games

Interview: https://soundcloud.com/siriusxmfantasy/saints-rookie-wr-michael-thomas-on-avoiding-the-rookie-wall

Thomas was asked about the chemistry formed between him and quarterback Drew Brees, to which he responded, “I feel like he’s just the ultimate example of a great quarterback in the NFL. If you want to play receiver and you want to play for a long time, you want a guy like him behind center.”

Thomas added, “And when the game’s on the line in crunch time, you want to have him behind center. He just makes tremendous decisions and always helps this team.”

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Nice read. I didn't realize he led the team or was so high in the rankings for targets, catches, TD's, etc. I guess it's because of the way he conducts himself on the field in games. Very Colston-like in that he doesn't do any real celebrating or taunting type stuff after making a big catch or TD. Just makes the play and goes about his business getting back to the huddle or off the field.

I think we've got a stud for years to come in Michael Thomas.

duckjr78

Look out, its FrankenBaby
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
While they will operate in very different ways, Cooks and Thomas are going to be an amazing 1A & 1B for the rest of Brees' career.

The best part about having them as a tandem? Both have an elite skill that will allow them to be a deep threat: Cooks with his speed and Thomas with his hand size/high point ability. Most WR duos don't both have that. Either one can open up the intermediate route for the other or the seam for the TE by taking the top off the defense and Fleener has the ability to do the same for both of them.

When it gets humming again, this offense is going to be a headache for all but the couple of elite defenses out there.

insidejob

Approved Blogger
Reaction score
While they will operate in very different ways, Cooks and Thomas are going to be an amazing 1A & 1B for the rest of Brees' career.

The best part about having them as a tandem? Both have an elite skill that will allow them to be a deep threat: Cooks with his speed and Thomas with his hand size/high point ability. Most WR duos don't both have that. Either one can open up the intermediate route for the other or the seam for the TE by taking the top off the defense and Fleener has the ability to do the same for both of them.

When it gets humming again, this offense is going to be a headache for all but the couple of elite defenses out there.
I liked the wrinkles with Tommylee Lewis last week as well. I'd like to see him get more of those jet sweep type calls and maybe use him like we did Sproles for screens where he can literally hide behind the goons of the OL out in front of him because he's so short and then use his speed and shiftiness to take it to the house.

duckjr78

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I liked the wrinkles with Tommylee Lewis last week as well. I'd like to see him get more of those jet sweep type calls and maybe use him like we did Sproles for screens where he can literally hide behind the goons of the OL out in front of him because he's so short and then use his speed and shiftiness to take it to the house.
Payton having him line up in the backfield last week shows me that they have a few plays specifically designed for Tommy Lee, including the jet sweeps. The jet sweep one way with Ingram going the other way is going to be good for a few 1st downs this year due to the 1/2 second "freeze" that it forces the LB's to do to make sure the sweep does or doesn't have the ball. Having him line up as a RB also tells me that while he may not be able to pass protect, he very well can probably run a simple draw play and there will be a play or two, here or there, for him at specific times in the game.

Payton likes him and sees the unique skill set he brings, and will use him to create mismatches, even if it is just to force the defense to declare a package or coverage, allowing someone else to have an advantageous match up.

Oh, and before I forget, Snead is really, really good at what he does as well.

WR is going to be a very, very hard position group for newcomers to crack into next year.

Whodatcolston

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
It's crazy, I don't think many people realize but Michael Thomas is actually a few months OLDER than cooks, even though Cooks is in his 3rd year. I can't wait to see how our core 3 receivers develop over the years.

Chris

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Thomas reminds me more of Colston than Coleman does. The guy makes all the tough catches (and the easy ones).

CajunSaint

Hall of Famer
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
We hit a home run with this draft pick. That 4th quarter TD Thomas caught was big time clutch.
You are right about it being clutch.

I hate those plays as they are typically low percentage plays and especially hate it on 4th down. But he went up and got it. Very underrated play of the game as he made look so routine.

duckjr78

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You are right about it being clutch.

I hate those plays as they are typically low percentage plays and especially hate it on 4th down. But he went up and got it. Very underrated play of the game as he made look so routine.
I was actually stunned that they went with such an "all or nothing" one read type of play on the most critical play of the game. Usually those types of plays have multiple options, allowing your QB 3/4 different reads to find a guy open. Not this time.

Trusting your 1st ballot HOF QB, all time most accurate QB ever to read the coverage and put an accurate ball in the right spot? Sure, I get it.

Trusting your rookie 2nd round pick to read the coverage exactly the same way and position himself to either make the catch or draw a penalty (one that is NEVER called for the Saints on offense)? And then trusting him to make the catch.

When you are already 0-3?

Wow. That's some chutzpah.

saintfan-n-alex

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
I was actually stunned that they went with such an "all or nothing" one read type of play on the most critical play of the game. Usually those types of plays have multiple options, allowing your QB 3/4 different reads to find a guy open. Not this time.

Trusting your 1st ballot HOF QB, all time most accurate QB ever to read the coverage and put an accurate ball in the right spot? Sure, I get it.

Trusting your rookie 2nd round pick to read the coverage exactly the same way and position himself to either make the catch or draw a penalty (one that is NEVER called for the Saints on offense)? And then trusting him to make the catch.

When you are already 0-3?

Wow. That's some chutzpah.
When I watched the replay I was surprised they didn't call Thomas for an arm bar or push off as he turned and adjusted for the catch

insidejob

Approved Blogger
Reaction score
The jet sweep one way with Ingram going the other way is going to be good for a few 1st downs this year due to the 1/2 second "freeze" that it forces the LB's to do to make sure the sweep does or doesn't have the ball. Having him line up as a RB also tells me that while he may not be able to pass protect, he very well can probably run a simple draw play and there will be a play or two, here or there, for him at specific times in the game.
Totally reminiscent of the "Ghost Sweep" we used to run with Deuce and Reggie. Most of the time, it seemed like they'd fake the sweep to Reggie and give it to Deuce who would promptly run it up the gut for 6-15 yards.

Lemme find the thread from a few years ago about it.

edit to add link:

It was actually referred to as Ghost Motion in the past. Here's the thread requesting we run it with PT/Sproles like we used to with Deuce/Reggie.

http://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/ghost-motion-pt-sproles-la-deuce-reggie-315728/#.V_aUMPArKUk

damn...looks like the NFL finally got around to blocking the video content in that thread but the discussion is still relevant (the video was still up and running this pre-season. I was asking about Ingram/Spiller being the backs in that play and referenced that same thread.) Oh well. Maybe I'll see if I can find that video put up by another user who the NFL hasn't discovered and shut down yet.

edit to add again:
OK - it appears that the video is only blocked in the embedded version. Click on the youtube link in the bottom of the video frame and it links to a working highlight video and the times are marked in the thread for the ghost motion plays.

Eman5805

Soulful Voice Actor
Reaction score
I said it a while ago. Michael Thomas will be our #1 receiver. Teams are eventually going to switch their #1 corner onto him. He and Cooks should be the premier WR duo in the NFL for years to come. Snead makes it a trio. And Coleman has become a more reliable player as we've gone on.

insidejob

Approved Blogger
Reaction score
I said it a while ago. Michael Thomas will be our #1 receiver. Teams are eventually going to switch their #1 corner onto him. He and Cooks should be the premier WR duo in the NFL for years to come. Snead makes it a trio. And Coleman has become a more reliable player as we've gone on.
Seriously, we seem to be pretty set for years to come with our WR's. Of course, new deals for Cooks and Snead and even Coleman, if they decide to keep him, will need to be worked out in the coming years, but I don't see any reason they'd want out of this offense.

ANKOMA33

All-Pro
Reaction score
If BC can ever get his consistency together ... boy. Threats all over the field at wide out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Michael Thomas out, Davante Adams doubtful for Saints-Packers clash Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints receiver Michael Thomas ruled out for the second straight week Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints officially rule out Michael Thomas Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints injury report: Marcus Davenport returns to practice, Michael Thomas held out again Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus So maybe a healthy Michael Thomas is kind of important for the Saints offense SR News Page Articles 0
Who did Saints turn to without Michael Thomas? Tre'Quan Smith, Alvin Kamara and little else Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints at Raiders inactive lists: Michael Thomas no, Cesar Ruiz yes. Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints at Raiders: Michael Thomas officially inactive, 3 rookies to debut for New Orleans Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Report: Packers doctor to examine Michael Thomas' injury days before Saints play Green Bay Saints RSS News Feeds 0
What will we watch closely in Saints vs. Raiders? Saints offense without Michael Thomas, for one Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Report: Saints WR Michael Thomas' could miss 2-4 weeks with ankle sprain Saints RSS News Feeds 0
What Michael Thomas' ankle injury means for him and the Saints Saints RSS News Feeds 0
New Orleans Saints 9/19/20 Injury Report (Michael Thomas officially ruled out) Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 6
Saints fans 'Ask Amie:' Answers about Michael Thomas, the secondary, practice squad call-ups Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints will be without both Michael Thomas and Marcus Davenport against the Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints injury report: TE Cook says Michael Thomas will miss Monday’s game SR News Page Articles 0
Saints injury report: Michael Thomas, Marcus Davenport continue to miss practice Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus New Orleans Saints prepared to forge ahead if Michael Thomas cannot play SR News Page Articles 0
Michael Thomas injury: Here's what Saints did on 13 snaps without star WR in Buccaneers game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints At Raiders Thursday injury report: Michael Thomas misses practice Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints Michael Thomas, Marcus Davenport miss practice; Sanders absence not injury related Saints RSS News Feeds 0
jasonsw Match Up Saints vs Lions what are the keys to victory? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 5
3 Biggest takeaways from the New Orleans Saints vs the Green Bay Packers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
WATCH: CSC’s What Just Happened? breaks down Saints’ loss to the Green Bay Packers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
If the Saints lose to the Chargers and Lions, they need to consider benching Drew Brees Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Fleur-de-Links, September 29: Reactions from Saints players following Week 3 game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Second look: Where was the Saints pass rush? What about the downfield passing game? Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Gentilly504 If I’m game planning against the Saints Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 22
Andrus Continued disappointment for fans, businesses after another no-fans Saints home game SR News Page Articles 0
Saints are not utilizing crowd noise to their advantage Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 13
Andrus Updated Saints practice squad after signing cornerback Ken Crawley SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus By the Numbers: Packers vs. Saints in Week 3 SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Forecast: The Saints offense is not what has me worried SR News Page Articles 0
Saint Lattimore Saints Saints early injury look for Week 4 vs Lions Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 22
Payton responds to criticism of defense, Brees after Saints loss to Packers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
DerrickB Two-Part Question about Carson Wentz with tie-in to the Saints Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 3
Saints trail in NFC South for first time more than 2 years; Week 3 roundup and what's next Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Overreactions from the Saints Week 3 game against the Packers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints' snap counts: A look at wide receivers, offensive line, general defensive usage in loss to Packers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
OutlawSaint Last night I almost quit watching the NFL and I guess Saints since they are part of it. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 51
Saints' Andrus Peat initially diagnosed with high-ankle injury: report Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints signing veteran cornerback Ken Crawley to the practice squad: report Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Beignets and Café au Lait: Penalties, Turnover Doom Saints Against Packers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Covington Saint Saints can be an upward trending team as season progresses Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 19
Saints continue to make limited use of Taysom Hill Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Buhbooh Saints defense has forced 1 punt in 17 possessions Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 47
Andrus Week 3 Saints snap counts and observations SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus 3 Takeaways From Saints Loss to the Packers SR News Page Articles 0
Barnwell: Time to worry about Drew Brees and the Saints? What I've seen in a 1-2 start Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Which QB gives the Saints the best chance to win the game? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 16