Saints’ Sean Payton is having none of this talk that he’ll be traded to the Rams (1 Viewer)

Andrus

Owner/Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
snews.gif

New Orleans Saints Coach Sean Payton put to rest those whispers that he might be the subject of the rare trade of an NFL coach, saying that “my plan is definitely to be back” with the Saints.

“Shoot, I’ve got four more years on a contract here. And I plan on honoring that,” Payton said on his weekly WWL Radio show.

Teams haven’t worked out a swap of head coaches since the Oakland Raiders sent Jon Gruden to Tampa Bay in 2002, but the Los Angeles Rams — who fired Jeff Fisher last month — are looking for a dynamic, big-name coach. These trades may be difficult, but they can be done. The teams involved must work out compensation and the coach in question must then negotiate a deal. Oakland let Gruden go in exchange for first- and second-round picks, a first-rounder in 2003 and a second-rounder in 2004. Of course, Gruden also got a truckload of money out of the transaction and the chance to beat the Raiders, the team he helped rebuild, in Super Bowl XXXVII in 2003. (In 2006, the New York Jets released Herman Edwards from the last two years of his contract in exchange for a fourth-round draft pick, allowing him to take the Kansas City Chiefs job. That didn’t rise to the same level as the Gruden move, though.)

Asked by radio host Bobby Hebert whether he could say that he has no interest in coaching anyone other than the Saints next year, Payton was succinct. “Yes, absolutely.”...

By Cindy Boren

Full Story - Washington Post

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom