Saints’ Vitt enjoys being just an assistant again (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

Saints’ Vitt enjoys being just an assistant again

BY BRIAN ALLEE-WALSH | Special to The Advocate

After extenuating circumstances turned him into a mere football coach last season, grizzled defensive assistant Joe Vitt finally is back to coaching football again for the New Orleans Saints.

There’s a huge difference in the two.

Saints defensive line coach Bill Johnson explains.

“You cut Joe Vitt up, all you’re going to find is a 1,000 little football coaches coming out,’’ Johnson said between minicamp practices Tuesday. “He loves to teach, He loves to motivate and inspire. He’s not clerical.

“He did a great job with all those things last season. But when you cut him up, he loves to be on the grass, he loves to be in the classroom, he loves to be with his players. Joe Vitt is a classic football coach, a real classic.’’

More - Advocate

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

Saints’ Vitt enjoys being just an assistant again

BY BRIAN ALLEE-WALSH | Special to The Advocate

After extenuating circumstances turned him into a mere football coach last season, grizzled defensive assistant Joe Vitt finally is back to coaching football again for the New Orleans Saints.

There’s a huge difference in the two.

Saints defensive line coach Bill Johnson explains.

“You cut Joe Vitt up, all you’re going to find is a 1,000 little football coaches coming out,’’ Johnson said between minicamp practices Tuesday. “He loves to teach, He loves to motivate and inspire. He’s not clerical.

“He did a great job with all those things last season. But when you cut him up, he loves to be on the grass, he loves to be in the classroom, he loves to be with his players. Joe Vitt is a classic football coach, a real classic.’’

More - Advocate

Big Dan: Great find; awesome read. :9:

One of the many good quotes from the article (...and there are several):

Several linebackers said they notice a palpable difference on the field and in the classroom with Vitt now focused solely on his position group.

“I love Joe; he’s a players’ coach,’’ Saints middle linebacker Curtis Lofton said. “He’s a great motivator. He’s fired up to be back with us, and you can see it in his individual drills. They are some of the toughest I’ve ever gone through. The guys who have been around in the past say I haven’t seen anything yet.’’

:gosaints:

I get goosebumps just frickin reading about Joe Vitt...god damn I'm ready for some football.

He may enjoy just being a LB Coach--but WE enjoyed his press conferences. :9: :D

Man, I would LOVE it if SP would delegate this responsibility. You know he hates the pressers. I bet pressers were the only part of being HC Vitt actually enjoyed. He SEEMED to relish them anyway.

I hate it when talking heads say EVERYONE wants to be a head coach cos I just don't think that's true at all. Of course, there's a lot of wannabes that'll never get the chance and they'll consider it a tragedy (and some that should never have gotten the chance *cough*LaneKiffin*cough*). But I think it was clear that Vitt seemed to enjoy very little of it and NEVER wanted to be in that position.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom