Saints 1st Qtr. Report on the Defensive Unit (1 Viewer)

Saints 1st Qtr. Report on the Defensive Unit
Pretty good article. Grades seem decent. I still think Saints need a veteran pass rusher and another Corner going forward. Secondary has to play better.

I can't disagree with most of the article. Still not happy with the M. Jenkins signing but he has had some good plays and his tackling is a bit better than it was with his rookie deal here. Ijust don't see he is worth as much as he is paid based on skill and locker room issues he created.

Entire D seems off. I think the absence of a normal off season may have caused some of the problems. Maybe they just assumed they would hit the ground running. Maybe the Drew situation had a bigger impact than we thought. Whatever it is, we won’t go far if they don’t tighten up.

I'd be harsher. Mainly because of penalties and players not playing up to how well we know they can.

Interior - B- (Run defense mainly, I'd like to see more rush from them. Onyemata bumps it up)
Rushers - C- (Only not a D because of run defense and a small bright spot of Hendrickson. Jordan has to show up more and Davenport needs to help this rotation)
Linebackers - C- (Davis hasn't been near 2019 and Anzalone is up and down. TEs, plays in flats and play fakes have been problems)
Safeties - D (I expect a lot more out of the main 3. TE, flats and play fake problems. Jenkins getting abused by TEs and Williams abused by power runners. Lack of big plays from all 3.)
Cornerbacks - C (Lattimore not near his best and too many penalties. Jenkins has been good minus the killer penalties and our backups played admirably)
Def Coaching - D (I feel like guys are being put in poor positions. Particularly our safeties and LBs. Way too many penalties.)

Overall - D+ (Based on performance as a whole, not a score aggregate.)

Last edited:
Our defensive scheme doesn't fit our players. You can only run D-Allen's scheme with dominant edge rushers who can also play the run. We don't have that and it's going to progressively get worse. O-Line's will get better as the year progresses but our pass rush will not. Either Davenport gets healthy and starts bringing the heat or we will regress to our mid 2014/2015 D's where we couldn't get off the field.

Our defensive scheme doesn't fit our players. You can only run D-Allen's scheme with dominant edge rushers who can also play the run. We don't have that and it's going to progressively get worse. O-Line's will get better as the year progresses but our pass rush will not. Either Davenport gets healthy and starts bringing the heat or we will regress to our mid 2014/2015 D's where we couldn't get off the field.

A better defensive coach would know how to adapt his scheme for the players he has.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom