Saints 2007 Draft (1 Viewer)

thadonkey

Veteran
Reaction score
Looking over the Saints roster, what do you think are their positions of need for next April's draft?

1. CB - We need a good young one right now
2. MLB - A 1st or 2nd rounder to develop and start in either 2007 or 2008
3. DT - A good young one to develop and start in either 2007 or 2008
4. OLB - Fujita's great, but we need a young blue-chipper to eventually upgrade over Shanle
5. OL - We need some quality depth at Tackle and Guard.
6. WR - Colston's development has opened it up a bit for Horn, but Horn's still getting up there in age. I think Devery can be a dangerous weapon at WR3, but I don't think he's the eventual answer at WR2 (meaning, he's not the type of player that's ever going to catch 70 balls in a season).

Any thoughts?

Wisdom Tooth

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Looking over the Saints roster, what do you think are their positions of need for next April's draft?

1. CB - We need a good young one right now
2. MLB - A 1st or 2nd rounder to develop and start in either 2007 or 2008
3. DT - A good young one to develop and start in either 2007 or 2008
4. OLB - Fujita's great, but we need a young blue-chipper to eventually upgrade over Shanle
5. OL - We need some quality depth at Tackle and Guard.
6. WR - Colston's development has opened it up a bit for Horn, but Horn's still getting up there in age. I think Devery can be a dangerous weapon at WR3, but I don't think he's the eventual answer at WR2 (meaning, he's not the type of player that's ever going to catch 70 balls in a season).

Any thoughts?
I agree 100% with your analysis. I'd even venture to say we need two or three young CBs from the next draft, especially with the number of picks we have. I have a feeling they'll be using one or two of those to move up in the draft though, which may not even be a bad thing.

OP
thadonkey

thadonkey

Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, for #1 I thought about putting 2 CBs, but in the end I think the need at MLB is a little greater than the need for a 2nd young CB.

BIGPOPPA

Goodell BLOWS!!!!!
Reaction score
#1) I think CB is our most pressing need. We have been seriously exposed. I like Mike and Fred, but both are #2 CB's at best.
#2) TE! We have got to get a legitimate TE. Conwell, Laurie, and Campbell are all good depth, but we need a starter.
#3) We need depth across the board. We can't afford any serious injuries this year, at any position. Do we have a position where we don't have a depth problem?

Hopefully we won't have to depend on all this in the draft. I hope we can land some good, young FAs.

DownWithDisease

Very Banned
Reaction score
Well, let's see... The Saints will have one 1st, one 2nd, two 3rds (I think), two 4ths, one 5th, one 6th, and one 7th... plus any comp picks they may (should) get awarded.

If that is the way it works out... I think we only get two 3rd if the Iggles re-sign Donte, and why should they when the turd has been hurt since they got him practically.

Then I hope we go something like this...

1st round - either best CB or best MLB available. Patrick Willis or H.B. Blades would be nice.
2nd round - either CB or MLB... whichever we didn't pick in the 1st.'
3rd - DT or another CB
If we get another 3rd - DT or CB, whichever wasn't taken with the 1st 3rd.
4th - Brian Leonard FB/RB/H-Back (if he's there, we MUST)
4th - TE
5th - WR
6th - OL
7th - OL

DownWithDisease

Very Banned
Reaction score
Top 5 CB prospects (at this time) for next year's draft:

*Antoine Cason, 6-1, 180, Arizona
*Darrelle Revis, 6-0, 180, Pittsburgh
Leon Hall, 5-11, 190, Michigan
Daymeion Hughes, 6-2, 180, California (best suited for a cover 2)
DeAndre Jackson, 6-0, 195, Iowa State
Joe Garcia, 6-0, 180, Nevada
Marcus McCauley, 6-0, 190, Fresno State

*denotes underclassmen

boxerharley

Very Banned
Reaction score
It sure seems like our defense has changed since Harper went down. He was all over the place, 2 more Harpers from the draft and we will be s*&^ hot !!!

Super Dad

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
We're set at safety for the next five or six years with Roman Harper and Josh Bullocks.
JOKE!!!!!!!

Seriously though I do not want to draft a CB inthe first. I think that has to be a LB but this will all depend on two key free agents Nate Clements and Donnie Edwards. If we could get both those guys this is what I would do.

1- LB either MLB if we do not get Edwards or an OLB
2- TE come on how many more years will we depend on Conwell
3-G or T with the RB we have and Brees I think we have to draft a guy that can step up an mall people inside.
3- CB I would take a risk on a guy from a small school or that is raw and slipped
4-WR a future Lewis replacement / #4 WR for now
4-DT Every year some huge DT falls to the 2nd day
5-QB someone to develop
6-?
7-?

DownWithDisease

Very Banned
Reaction score
2- TE come on how many more years will we depend on Conwell
While I'd love to see the Saints get a legitimate threat in at TE, this year's draft is looking to be really weak at this spot. I'd rather sign Daniel Graham as a FA and be done with it. It's more important that our TE can block than be a weapon in the passing game, and Graham is a very good blocker. He would be a better receiver than what we've got right now too.

Super Dad

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
While I'd love to see the Saints get a legitimate threat in at TE, this year's draft is looking to be really weak at this spot. I'd rather sign Daniel Graham as a FA and be done with it. It's more important that our TE can block than be a weapon in the passing game, and Graham is a very good blocker. He would be a better receiver than what we've got right now too.
Did not know he would be out there but yes I sgree with you totally.

Nevimeister

I was there!
Reaction score
Depends on free agents. If we sign Nate Clements it diminishes our need for a CB, if we sign Donnie Edwards and/or Lance Briggs it reduces the need to draft a LB. Same goes if we sign Eric Johnson or Daniel Graham at tight end. My hope is for Alan Branch in the 1st and Fred Bennett in the 2nd after a succesful free agency haul

Alan Branch - Defensive Tackle, Michigan, 6-5, 332 (Jr.)

A mountain of a man in the middle on the Wolverine D-line and he does an excellent job stacking up things at the point of attack and collapsing the inside pocket. A massive presence (6-6, 331) on the interior, Branch is extremely strong, can stuff the run and also get after the quarterback

Fred Bennett - Cornerback, South Carolina, 6-1, 205

One of the best-kept secrets in the SEC. Has the speed and size to develop into a 1st rate match-up cornerback in the NFL."

Last edited:

mRex

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Did everyone forget the OL?
We need to improve there as well.

Is there any OL out there who's first name starts with a "J"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Drew Brees explains momentum-swinging interception in Saints loss: 'Shouldn't have thrown it' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees on Saints offense: “Not even close to what we’re capable of” Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Brees: Job is to direct Saints, not rack up air yards Saints RSS News Feeds 0
'It was ugly.' Here's what Brees, Payton, Kamara had to say after Saints' loss to Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Who did Saints turn to without Michael Thomas? Tre'Quan Smith, Alvin Kamara and little else Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints' Drew Brees acts his age in off-target loss to Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Let's just hope a certain saying holds true for the Saints Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 4
What we learned, what is trending and final thoughts from the Saints 34-24 loss in Las Vegas Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Raiders score 24 unanswered points to top Saints in first-ever Las Vegas game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Walker: 2 games in, Saints make it clear they have ways to go to reach Super Bowl dreams Saints RSS News Feeds 0
After fast start, Saints stumble in humbling loss to Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Sean Payton Postgame on Saints Loss to Raiders in Week 2 | 2020 NFL SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints Postgame Show | Raiders Week 2 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Saints have not gone 2-0 since 2013 Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 8
Derek Carr tosses three touchdowns as Raiders win Las Vegas debut 34-24 over Saints Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Raiders power past Saints in Allegiant Stadium debut SR News Page Articles 0
Saint Kamara Saints defense prevents 100 yard rusher yet again Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 21
Blessedog The Raiders played Saints Football and Won Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 6
Watch: Saints rookie tight end Adam Trautman catches first NFL pass against Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
17 all: Saints at Raiders 2nd half game thread Saints RSS News Feeds 1
Raiders tie Saints 17-17 with 10 points in final 1:44 of first half Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Whodat GT N/S SR community to the rescue: I´m looking for a long lost friend and Saints fan. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 4
Saints vs. Raiders: Monday Night Football open thread Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints at Raiders inactive lists: Michael Thomas no, Cesar Ruiz yes. Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints at Raiders: Michael Thomas officially inactive, 3 rookies to debut for New Orleans Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Bill Update Saints are wearing their Color Rush uniforms tonight!!! Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 9
Week 1 standouts Margus Hunt and Bennie Fowler III called up from practice squad for Saints vs. Raiders game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints @ Bucs SNF Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 5
Update: Cantrell allows High School Football to start with some fans @ games. Still no word on Saints Games Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 6
Saints vs. Raiders: Game Time, TV, Radio, Online Streaming, Mobile, and Odds Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saint Droopy Saints Captains' Families HYPED Send-Off to Fathers Ahead of Week 2 at Raiders Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 2
Las Vegas welcomes the Saints against all odds Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Report: Packers doctor to examine Michael Thomas' injury days before Saints play Green Bay Saints RSS News Feeds 0
FOX Sports New Orleans to re-air 2020 Saints games starting Week 2 vs. Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Fan confidence high as Saints head to Vegas for tonight’s Monday Night Football showdown Saints RSS News Feeds 0
How the Saints defensive line rotations performed in week one Saints RSS News Feeds 0
How the Saints can attack the Raiders through the air tonight on Monday Night Football Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Get Hype: Saints at Raiders | NFL Week 2 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints vs. Raiders odds, line: NFL picks, Monday Night Football predictions from model on 100-65 roll SR News Page Articles 0
Saints to have Packers doctor examine Thomas Saints RSS News Feeds 0
RedJem Saints vs Raiders Gameday Updates 9-21-20 Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 147
Bill Analysis ***Official Saints @ Raiders Game Day Thread*** Gameday Board 2488
Fleur-de-Links, September 21: Injury reports and betting odds heading into Saints Monday Night Football game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
What will we watch closely in Saints vs. Raiders? Saints offense without Michael Thomas, for one Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Gentilly504 If Gregg Williams was Saints DC with the talent they have now... Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 34
Dan in Lafayette Saints use Boeing 777 to fly to Las Vegas Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 32
Krodwhodat Saints social media is undefeated Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 10
Best bets for MNF: Saints at Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
How to watch, follow Saints vs. Raiders: Get key broadcast information, expert picks, more Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Report: Saints WR Michael Thomas' could miss 2-4 weeks with ankle sprain Saints RSS News Feeds 0