Saints 2007 Draft (1 Viewer)

thadonkey

Veteran
Reaction score
Looking over the Saints roster, what do you think are their positions of need for next April's draft?

1. CB - We need a good young one right now
2. MLB - A 1st or 2nd rounder to develop and start in either 2007 or 2008
3. DT - A good young one to develop and start in either 2007 or 2008
4. OLB - Fujita's great, but we need a young blue-chipper to eventually upgrade over Shanle
5. OL - We need some quality depth at Tackle and Guard.
6. WR - Colston's development has opened it up a bit for Horn, but Horn's still getting up there in age. I think Devery can be a dangerous weapon at WR3, but I don't think he's the eventual answer at WR2 (meaning, he's not the type of player that's ever going to catch 70 balls in a season).

Any thoughts?

Looking over the Saints roster, what do you think are their positions of need for next April's draft?

1. CB - We need a good young one right now
2. MLB - A 1st or 2nd rounder to develop and start in either 2007 or 2008
3. DT - A good young one to develop and start in either 2007 or 2008
4. OLB - Fujita's great, but we need a young blue-chipper to eventually upgrade over Shanle
5. OL - We need some quality depth at Tackle and Guard.
6. WR - Colston's development has opened it up a bit for Horn, but Horn's still getting up there in age. I think Devery can be a dangerous weapon at WR3, but I don't think he's the eventual answer at WR2 (meaning, he's not the type of player that's ever going to catch 70 balls in a season).

Any thoughts?

I agree 100% with your analysis. I'd even venture to say we need two or three young CBs from the next draft, especially with the number of picks we have. I have a feeling they'll be using one or two of those to move up in the draft though, which may not even be a bad thing.

Yeah, for #1 I thought about putting 2 CBs, but in the end I think the need at MLB is a little greater than the need for a 2nd young CB.

#1) I think CB is our most pressing need. We have been seriously exposed. I like Mike and Fred, but both are #2 CB's at best.
#2) TE! We have got to get a legitimate TE. Conwell, Laurie, and Campbell are all good depth, but we need a starter.
#3) We need depth across the board. We can't afford any serious injuries this year, at any position. Do we have a position where we don't have a depth problem?

Hopefully we won't have to depend on all this in the draft. I hope we can land some good, young FAs.

Well, let's see... The Saints will have one 1st, one 2nd, two 3rds (I think), two 4ths, one 5th, one 6th, and one 7th... plus any comp picks they may (should) get awarded.

If that is the way it works out... I think we only get two 3rd if the Iggles re-sign Donte, and why should they when the turd has been hurt since they got him practically.

Then I hope we go something like this...

1st round - either best CB or best MLB available. Patrick Willis or H.B. Blades would be nice.
2nd round - either CB or MLB... whichever we didn't pick in the 1st.'
3rd - DT or another CB
If we get another 3rd - DT or CB, whichever wasn't taken with the 1st 3rd.
4th - Brian Leonard FB/RB/H-Back (if he's there, we MUST)
4th - TE
5th - WR
6th - OL
7th - OL

Top 5 CB prospects (at this time) for next year's draft:

*Antoine Cason, 6-1, 180, Arizona
*Darrelle Revis, 6-0, 180, Pittsburgh
Leon Hall, 5-11, 190, Michigan
Daymeion Hughes, 6-2, 180, California (best suited for a cover 2)
DeAndre Jackson, 6-0, 195, Iowa State
Joe Garcia, 6-0, 180, Nevada
Marcus McCauley, 6-0, 190, Fresno State

*denotes underclassmen

It sure seems like our defense has changed since Harper went down. He was all over the place, 2 more Harpers from the draft and we will be s*&^ hot !!!

We're set at safety for the next five or six years with Roman Harper and Josh Bullocks.

JOKE!!!!!!!

Seriously though I do not want to draft a CB inthe first. I think that has to be a LB but this will all depend on two key free agents Nate Clements and Donnie Edwards. If we could get both those guys this is what I would do.

1- LB either MLB if we do not get Edwards or an OLB
2- TE come on how many more years will we depend on Conwell
3-G or T with the RB we have and Brees I think we have to draft a guy that can step up an mall people inside.
3- CB I would take a risk on a guy from a small school or that is raw and slipped
4-WR a future Lewis replacement / #4 WR for now
4-DT Every year some huge DT falls to the 2nd day
5-QB someone to develop
6-?
7-?

2- TE come on how many more years will we depend on Conwell

While I'd love to see the Saints get a legitimate threat in at TE, this year's draft is looking to be really weak at this spot. I'd rather sign Daniel Graham as a FA and be done with it. It's more important that our TE can block than be a weapon in the passing game, and Graham is a very good blocker. He would be a better receiver than what we've got right now too.

While I'd love to see the Saints get a legitimate threat in at TE, this year's draft is looking to be really weak at this spot. I'd rather sign Daniel Graham as a FA and be done with it. It's more important that our TE can block than be a weapon in the passing game, and Graham is a very good blocker. He would be a better receiver than what we've got right now too.

Did not know he would be out there but yes I sgree with you totally.

Depends on free agents. If we sign Nate Clements it diminishes our need for a CB, if we sign Donnie Edwards and/or Lance Briggs it reduces the need to draft a LB. Same goes if we sign Eric Johnson or Daniel Graham at tight end. My hope is for Alan Branch in the 1st and Fred Bennett in the 2nd after a succesful free agency haul

Alan Branch - Defensive Tackle, Michigan, 6-5, 332 (Jr.)

A mountain of a man in the middle on the Wolverine D-line and he does an excellent job stacking up things at the point of attack and collapsing the inside pocket. A massive presence (6-6, 331) on the interior, Branch is extremely strong, can stuff the run and also get after the quarterback

Fred Bennett - Cornerback, South Carolina, 6-1, 205

One of the best-kept secrets in the SEC. Has the speed and size to develop into a 1st rate match-up cornerback in the NFL."

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom