Saints 2014 Cap Issues (1 Viewer)

cki3915

Reaction score
Saints facing 2014 cap issues - NFC South Blog - ESPN

Looking at that list, there are definately some areas to work with:

1. There is no way Will Smith will play in 2014 making $13.9 Million. He'll either be cut or restructured.

2. Greer/Harper: Give our trend in the backfield this offseason, i doubt both of these guys will be around next year. One will be gone, one will be retructured.

3. Bunkley is another one that might be gone next year.

4. I'm sure there are ways to move money around in Drew's deal to make it more cap friendly (see Brady, Tom).

Should be easy for Loomis to manage that cap figure. Releasing Smith and Harper would almost get us under the cap. Both guards will likely restructure. Greer will have to rebound to justify that salary. A lot of fat can be trimmed next year. I don't see an issue with it.

It really is to early to tell right now. I think the big fish to restructure is Brees, which will be ALOT more easier next year.

Ugh... restructuring every year will really bite us down the road. It's not going to be pretty when we have to face the music. Hopefully Loomis can keep things from getting too out of hand.

lol, I think Pat just likes to write these articles. Its the same thing...every year.

Smith could be cut in camp this year, I would be shocked if he is on the roster next year. Same goes for Harper.

It depends on Greer's perfomance this year. And Bunkley or Hawethrone could also be cut.

I'd prefer to leave Drew's contract along because the final 2 years of his deal have huge cap hits. I wouldnt mind if we tack on an extra year to his contract and stretch out the cap hits ala Tom Brady deal.

The pending 2014 Cap Disaster will be the end of the Saints franchise :jpshakehead:

After 2012 thrashing by our dearly beloved commissioner, the real 2013 cap challenge which Loomis once again handled beautifully, Cap problems of 2014 are not screaming in my ear as something I should worry about right now. I just want to hear helmets smashing and see bodies flying across the field against real opponents with SP back on the sideline.

Except for last year, off-seasons are painfully slow and writers starve for interesting subject matter.

The pending 2014 Cap Disaster will be the end of the Saints franchise :jpshakehead:

After 2012 thrashing by our dearly beloved commissioner, the real 2013 cap challenge which Loomis once again handled beautifully, Cap problems of 2014 are not screaming in my ear as something I should worry about right now. I just want to hear helmets smashing and see bodies flying across the field against real opponents with SP back on the sideline.

Except for last year, off-seasons are painfully slow and writers starve for interesting subject matter.

The cap issues next year are actually more manageable than they were this year.

Who cares about 2014, we need to right the ship in 2013. Let the chips fall where they may at that time. I will not waste my time worrying about 2014!

This is the age of football. We are up against the salary cap every year because we have an elite QB and want to win now. When Drew hangs up his cleats, we'll purge MOST of our big contracts and start over. Indy was the first team to undergo the transition (and they "lucked" into Andrew Luck), but the Patriots and Saints are next in line.

The Saints have the option to pick up Smiths contract in 2014, which they won't. Harper can be cut without a cap hit. Vilma, Jenkins and Streif become free agents. This article gives a breakdown for 2014:
New Orleans Saints - 2014 Salary Cap Breakdown

Since they will be free agents, Vilma, Jenkins, and Strief are not counted in the 2014 Number.

Plus, sooner or later, Jimmy Graham will want to be paid.

It is not the disatser that Pat Y is suggesting, but these are issues to keep in the back of your mind.

When Will Smith and Roman Harper are released it will save up $17.7M in cap space. And if Greer struggles in press man this year, we can release him saving about $3.5M in cap space. Everything is fine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom