Saints 2020 and 2021 (edit) Possible Player Crisis (edit) (What Front Offices Don't Often Tell their Fans). This is an End User Modeler (I hope) (1 Viewer)

In the Final League Year, any incentive bonuses, be they likely or unlikely to be earned, will count against a team's salary cap the moment they are triggered. For example, if a player gets a $1 million incentive for catching 75 passes, as soon as he catches his 75th pass of the 2020 season, his team absorbs a fresh $1 million salary-cap charge. In 2019 and all previous years of the current agreement, the team wouldn't have to account for that charge until after the season was over.
What this means is that teams giving out new deals this offseason will have to be conscious of the way their incentive clauses are structured in the 2020 season to avoid having to make tough roster decisions during the season if their players hit their incentives.

Who Dats! I don't know this USA Today reporter who covers the Saints, John Sigler. Is it just coincidence that he keeps writing about topics we discuss in-depth on SSF? Sure seems like lately that Sigler just keeps following SSF key topics.

Does anyone know anything about his guy? Thx

Bottom for me is. Regardless of how anyone wants to talk dollars and salary cap, I am not a proponent of paying more for Brees at this point of his career. At some point he has to understand the situation of “TEAM”, and know that the demand for what he can bring to the table, has reached a peak. He is not going to get better, so there is no upside. He WILL get worse, at some point. Therefore, either take a cut, or we move on. And I for certain, do not want to resign him at his current salary, regardless of his history as one of the all time greats.

And I personally believe, the Saints have probably discussed with him, they are not planning to offer him the same salary to resign. Thus Drew is really taking his time to decide what he wants to do. I would be very shocked if the Saints bone up equal money or more, to resign him. I would also be disappointed. I do not believe the Saints would be any worse/better, without him. They still make the playoffs and lose out.

Just my .02. Only time will tell.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom