Saints Saints 2020 draft class... was not our best (1 Viewer)

I think with all the talent available in areas of need, this has to go down as one of our worst drafts. At the time of the draft many media and draft analysts said that we did not need to draft many players because we had so much talent in the team. But, the draft is for present needs, depth and the future. May be Ruiz is a stud and Trautman turns the corner next year, but there was talent we needed at our number one slot, i.e Patrick Queen, and we could have gotten a true guard in the second or later rounds, if we kept those picks. Remember that Jahri Evans and other important interior linemen were not selected until after the third or fourth round. We need to draft better and quit giving up draft picks.

Jon Stinchcomb did nothing his first few years and went on to start in the Superbowl and for years. Similar tale with Zac Strief who was a fill in. Ruiz is a center. The real tale is if we move McCoy to guard and swap in Ruiz at center with a real offseason. The other judgement is who should we have picked who was available in the first round at 24? By many indications Baun was under consideration. I would think the argument is we should have picked Patrick Queen who went 28th . This begs the question do we keep Larry Warford and how do we work the cap to extend both Damario Davis and Alvin Kamara last preseason? We got Baun at 74. Guard Jonah Jackson from Rutgers went to Detroit at 75, Guard Damien Lewis from LSU went at 69... As far as other interior lineman in the first round there were not any...there were six tackles only one Isiah Wilson of Georgia went after Ruiz at 29 to the Titans. I think the pick would have been Justin Jefferson or Kennith Murray who went the two picks directly before Ruiz. Given time and the salary cap savings of a quality young interior lineman verses a linebacker I would much prefer Ruiz over the options who were available still.

I think you're right about that, which does make Stevens sting a bit more. The Callaway thing is a good way to look at it though. If he can stay healthy, which with a full off-season protocol might well be possible, I do think the lack of off-season was a big factor to the league wide in-season injuries, then he has the ability to be special.

The situation with Stevens is something I am surprised the NFL didn't address. Both the Saints and Panthers will guilty of tampering and I still believe the pick should have been voided with both teams docked a 6th round 2021 pick.

May be Ruiz is a stud and Trautman turns the corner next year, but there was talent we needed at our number one slot, i.e Patrick Queen

I don’t know. Queen was a liability in the Ravens D this past season. He may develop into a good player, but he got picked on all year. I don’t always agree with PFF ratings, but I think they are right on the money with regard to Queen.

I agree it takes 3 years to evaluate a class. Of course there are always some exceptions: Latt and Ram, but we cannot discount that none of these draftees had the fortune that the others did: mini camps, ota's, a pre-season, etc...

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I'm not discouraged by Ruiz, Baun, or Trautman.

Does anyone else think Troutman runs funny after the catch. Don't get me wrong, he makes yards after the catch but if I had to describe his motion the word "Lumbering" comes to mind. Reminds me of when coach said Taysom runs like Fred Flinstone. Or was it Barney Rubble?

I think with all the talent available in areas of need, this has to go down as one of our worst drafts. At the time of the draft many media and draft analysts said that we did not need to draft many players because we had so much talent in the team. But, the draft is for present needs, depth and the future. May be Ruiz is a stud and Trautman turns the corner next year, but there was talent we needed at our number one slot, i.e Patrick Queen, and we could have gotten a true guard in the second or later rounds, if we kept those picks. Remember that Jahri Evans and other important interior linemen were not selected until after the third or fourth round. We need to draft better and quit giving up draft picks.
One of our worst?
That’s just silly
We have really no idea what this draft class will be. They had no offseason. Be patient

Our top two picks were playing brand new positions with no offseason program and no preseason games.

Trautman was our most complete TE by the end of the year.

Stevens...yeah that was a bad idea.

How spoiled have we become lol? We've gone from hoping to get a starter or two out of the draft to expecting impact starters from day one.

Not every draft is going to be a grand slam full of Pro Bowlers. We're going to see a single or double here and there. Maybe a hit by pitch or walk but not the strikeouts we used to see.

I would like to see more of Zach Baun on the field before I make an assessment. Ruiz and Trautman looks promising.

It won't take us 3 years to know that Tommy Stevens was a mistake. Him coming in at quarterback in week 17...... for the other team...... told me everything I needed to know about that waste of a pick.

How in the world can a 7th round pick be a mistake? They can only really be pleasant surprises from time to time and a once in a lifetime type major hit....

And how can anyone really say the 2020 draft was not good, it is way too early to tell....

Remember that time we traded two first round picks for Jonathon Sullivan? Pepperidge farm remembers and still laughs at us!!

I am hopeful that Ruiz works out for us. He was our big get in the draft. We needed stout interior lineman to keep Drew in a clean pocket. I don't think that need has changed regardless of who we have lined up behind center, but I would venture we may need quicker lineman to get out in front of Taysom on those pulling power runs more so than stout space eaters.

How spoiled have we become lol? We've gone from hoping to get a starter or two out of the draft to expecting impact starters from day one.

Not every draft is going to be a grand slam full of Pro Bowlers. We're going to see a single or double here and there. Maybe a hit by pitch or walk but not the strikeouts we used to see.

Ok, we should not expect them to have a draft full of pro bolwers every time but we can and should talk about the fact that some draft was not that good or could be better.

[/QUOTE]
The other judgement is who should we have picked who was available in the first round at 24? By many indications Baun was under consideration. I would think the argument is we should have picked Patrick Queen who went 28th . This begs the question do we keep Larry Warford and how do we work the cap to extend both Damario Davis and Alvin Kamara last preseason? We got Baun at 74. Guard Jonah Jackson from Rutgers went to Detroit at 75, Guard Damien Lewis from LSU went at 69... As far as other interior lineman in the first round there were not any...there were six tackles only one Isiah Wilson of Georgia went after Ruiz at 29 to the Titans. I think the pick would have been Justin Jefferson or Kennith Murray who went the two picks directly before Ruiz. Given time and the salary cap savings of a quality young interior lineman verses a linebacker I would much prefer Ruiz over the options who were available still.

I was yelling at the TV for the Saints to trade up a few spots and steal Jefferson. We had more of a need at WR (IMO), rather than another Olineman. I just wonder what it would’ve take to move up a few spots and take Jefferson. A future 2nd? Multiple lower round picks? I don’t know. Any thoughts on that?

How in the world can a 7th round pick be a mistake? They can only really be pleasant surprises from time to time and a once in a lifetime type major hit....

Go back and reread the part about the Saints trading a 2021 pick to be able to select him in the 7th round of 2020.

The Saints had no 7th round pick, so they made that move to get into the 7th round.

If the Saints just had a normal 7th round pick that didn't pan out, that would be completely different.

Duh!

Ruiz, Baun, Trautman, Stevens

I think that Trautman is the only “keeper.”
The rest... “meh.”

We need a good crop of draftees this Spring because we can’t afford to pay all veterans who are due.

:gosaints
When you end up with only one special team player, one limited situational skilled position player and one starter (essentially by default) out of a draft class, I think it is safe to say, it was not one of their better draft classes. I thought Ruiz was bit of a reach, being they drafted McCoy the year before. McCoy played in the SEC for 4 years and graded as the highest C position player. He did not allow a sack in the 3-4 years he started, bad snap, or penalty. Ruiz was NOT going to come in and unseat McCoy, though many thought he would. I was one that said he would not, when Ruiz was drafted. I said he would play guard and he was not even worthy of being a starter at the G position. So the other three we end up with, Trautman, Baun and another quasi multi purpose player in Stevens. The LB spot with Baun, was not bolstered. Still very concerning. The TE position was a fail. Still an issue. And the OL (guard position) still a big time need, just added a player as depth, not a starter.

We will need to draft for those positions once again this year. And with limited picks, it makes it even more challenging.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom