Saints Saints 2020 draft class... was not our best (2 Viewers)

No off-season to get acclimated, I will consider them all part of the 21 class.
Duh!

Ruiz, Baun, Trautman, Stevens

I think that Trautman is the only “keeper.”
The rest... “meh.”

We need a good crop of draftees this Spring because we can’t afford to pay all veterans who are due.

:gosaints

Honestly, our GM office, drafting and recruiting output has improved by leaps and bounds since Ireland came. I'm willing to give them a pass and chalk this up to Covid, no Training Camp, unorthodox practicing and more. It very well could be their one bad patch....and I would even overlook that for how good they have been the past few years.

Like I said previously, I just mentally put Marquez Callaway in that spot. We can even consider that punter on IR (who I assume will be our punter in 2021) to be this year's 6th round pick.

I missed that (again) but agree, I think he has real potential and am looking forward to him producing in our offense....

Honestly, our GM office, drafting and recruiting output has improved by leaps and bounds since Ireland came. I'm willing to give them a pass and chalk this up to Covid, no Training Camp, unorthodox practicing and more. It very well could be their one bad patch....and I would even overlook that for how good they have been the past few years.

I've said it a few times now, but I honestly think Ireland is more important to the Saints than SP right now....still way too early to tell if this draft was good, bad, or indifferent....

This statement comes from the idea that if a given team were to stay put, then the players they had slotted in their cloud would be best for the team‘s fit. I would be fine with that.

but when you trade up from 27th to 14th and GIVE UP another year’s first round pick AND another 3rd round pick (imagine drafting another Kamara level player with that pick)....yeah, that’s entirely too much for for a player based on Davenport’s performance.

had they stay put and drafted Davenport, then cool....But, when you give up another year’s first and your 3rd round pick, again that’s too much...
Your opinion is based on hindsight. They felt trading up to get someone they thought would best help this team improve was the right decision at the time. Remember, Henderickson hadn't shown much his first year. So he probably didn't factor much into the equation, if at all. It's not Davenports fault on where he was drafted. I believe he gets criticized by fans too much for something that wasn't his choice.

why else aren’t the Saints in a hurry to re-sign him when he’s in his final year? If the Saints let him walk after this year, then I was right. It would be the Saints way of indirectly saying: we striked out On Davenport as the elite player we had hoped...again, this is assuming they let him walk after his contract ends. They damn sure aren’t letting him walk “because he costs too much”

He only just completed year 3 of his contract. They have at least through next season, or the following if they pick up the 5th year option. Saying the team isn't "in a hurry to re-sign him" is highly speculative and premature.

i apologize for critiquing him if you’re related to him.

matter of fact, here’s a simple question: If you could go back and stop that trade for Davenport by given up your following year’s first round pick and your current 3rd pick, would you do it?
[/QUOTE]

I'm not related to him and I've never met him. I simply believe that criticizing him based off of what the team used to move up to get him is absurd since that was something he had no negotiating power in. That is on the team, not the player.

If you feel he wasn't worth a first round pick. Fine. But there are lots of first round picks that didn't have 10+ sacks. Which, btw, would put him in the top 10 in the league among ALL defenders, not just DE's. Thats just a ridiculous standard to hold him to just becuase the team chose to pay 'x' for him in the draft. Now, if we had picked him up as a FA and we were payaing him top DE money because that is what he were asking, I would be more in line with your train of thought.

Your opinion is based on hindsight. They felt trading up to get someone they thought would best help this team improve was the right decision at the time. Remember, Henderickson hadn't shown much his first year. So he probably didn't factor much into the equation, if at all. It's not Davenports fault on where he was drafted. I believe he gets criticized by fans too much for something that wasn't his choice.

He only just completed year 3 of his contract. They have at least through next season, or the following if they pick up the 5th year option. Saying the team isn't "in a hurry to re-sign him" is highly speculative and premature.

If you feel he wasn't worth a first round pick. Fine. But there are lots of first round picks that didn't have 10+ sacks. Which, btw, would put him in the top 10 in the league among ALL defenders, not just DE's. Thats just a ridiculous standard to hold him to just becuase the team chose to pay 'x' for him in the draft. Now, if we had picked him up as a FA and we were payaing him top DE money because that is what he were asking, I would be more in line with your train of thought.

You’re saying my opinion is based on hindsight...but that’s exactly right. You’re exactly right. I did say looking back at it, 3 years later, it wasn’t a good pick for me. my opinion is based on hindsight. No one is going to tell me my opinion is wrong based on that.

I’ll ask again: If you could re do that trade again, knowing what you know now about Davenport, would you do it?....BASED ON HINDSIGHT, lol so please don’t say, “that’s not fair to ask that question because the Saints didn’t know how good Davenport would turn out during that time When they drafted him”

because remember, originally, I was commenting on a comment that criticized that we needed to give players 3 years until you can pass judgement on that player....so, it’s been 3 years, and I’m asking you about Davenport now: would you Redo that draft by giving your following year’s first round pick and current Year’s third round pick to move up and draft him again?

lol, it’s a yes or no

You’re saying my opinion is based on hindsight...but that’s exactly right. You’re exactly right. I did say looking back at it, 3 years later, it wasn’t a good pick for me. my opinion is based on hindsight. No one is going to tell me my opinion is wrong based on that.

I’ll ask again: If you could re do that trade again, knowing what you know now about Davenport, would you do it?....BASED ON HINDSIGHT, lol so please don’t say, “that’s not fair to ask that question because the Saints didn’t know how good Davenport would turn out during that time When they drafted him”

because remember, originally, I was commenting on a comment that criticized that we needed to give players 3 years until you can pass judgement on that player....so, it’s been 3 years, and I’m asking you about Davenport now: would you Redo that draft by giving your following year’s first round pick and current Year’s third round pick to move up and draft him again?

lol, it’s a yes or no
It’s a hypothetical that can’t exist. We can’t go back and redo it. So I won’t. I think it’s silly to do that. You set yourself up to be mad or disappointed based on hindsight, when you didn’t have that benefit from the beginning. I like what Davenport adds to this team, so I am glad he’s here.

It’s a hypothetical that can’t exist. We can’t go back and redo it. So I won’t. I think it’s silly to do that. You set yourself up to be mad or disappointed based on hindsight, when you didn’t have that benefit from the beginning. I like what Davenport adds to this team, so I am glad he’s here.

So, then, you should also shut down this thread, right? Since, the " hypothetical that can’t exist." also applies to the players in the 2020 draft since it hasn't even been 3 years?

Right? I'm just trying to make sense of some logic here. The Davenport example that we talked about today also applies to this thread with the idea of "we can't change who drafted in 2020 draft"

So, then, you should also shut down this thread, right? Since, the " hypothetical that can’t exist." also applies to the players in the 2020 draft since it hasn't even been 3 years?

Right? I'm just trying to make sense of some logic here. The Davenport example that we talked about today also applies to this thread with the idea of "we can't change who drafted in 2020 draft"
ill Refer to my post earlier in this thread directly to the top of the 2020 draft class. It’s way too early to draw any conclusions. And when the time comes, I only look at if they shoukd be resigned or not. Not, if they should’ve been drafted somewhere else or for lesser picks. i just don’t like playing that game. If you like doing that, more power to you. I’m not telling you not to. I was merely sharing my thoughts.

Was excited when we drafted Baun. Seems a wasted pick.
I'm really hoping it's a coaching issues, because the linebackers have regressed across the board. We solve the issue by bring an absurdly physical gifted player that didn't need to be coached up. Then, he got injured.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom