Saints Saints 2020 draft class... was not our best (1 Viewer)

Baun was a big draft darling that needs a better coach to develop him.

It won't take us 3 years to know that Tommy Stevens was a mistake. Him coming in at quarterback in week 17...... for the other team...... told me everything I needed to know about that waste of a pick.

It was a 7th round pick. Not all of them are Marques Colston, and they certain sure aren't all Tom Brady.

The others need time, Ruiz is already a great run blocker, assuming he shifts to center in the off-season as expected he'll get more help in pass protection and that should make our interior line even stronger provided McCoy holds up at guard (He has the physical skills for sure). Trautman had some flashes. Baun I admittedly didn't notice much at all but to be fair to him he was more of a pass rushing LB in college from what I understand and we thought he could play some coverage if necessary. We ran a lot of 2 LB sets with Davis and Anzalone/Kwon being the guys in. He might well get thrown into the fire next year depending how the roster shakes out.

I agree it takes 3 years to evaluate a class. Of course there are always some exceptions: Latt and Ram, but we cannot discount that none of these draftees had the fortune that the others did: mini camps, ota's, a pre-season, etc...

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I'm not discouraged by Ruiz, Baun, or Trautman.

It was a 7th round pick. Not all of them are Marques Colston, and they certain sure aren't all Tom Brady.

The others need time, Ruiz is already a great run blocker, assuming he shifts to center in the off-season as expected he'll get more help in pass protection and that should make our interior line even stronger provided McCoy holds up at guard (He has the physical skills for sure). Trautman had some flashes. Baun I admittedly didn't notice much at all but to be fair to him he was more of a pass rushing LB in college from what I understand and we thought he could play some coverage if necessary. We ran a lot of 2 LB sets with Davis and Anzalone/Kwon being the guys in. He might well get thrown into the fire next year depending how the roster shakes out.

I agree with you on the other guys....

Stevens was particularly annoying because, if I'm remembering correctly, didn't they actually trade one of this year's picks to get into the seventh round?

Having said that, I will just mentally put Marquez Callaway (UDFA) in his place. I believe he will have the type of career that will, at minimum, suggest that he would have been worth going to the same effort that they did to grab Tommy Stevens.

I agree with you on the other guys....

Stevens was particularly annoying because, if I'm remembering correctly, didn't they actually trade one of this year's picks to get into the seventh round?

Having said that, I will just mentally put Marquez Callaway (UDFA) in his place. I believe he will have the type of career that will, at minimum, suggest that he would have been worth going to the same effort that they did to grab Tommy Stevens.

I think you're right about that, which does make Stevens sting a bit more. The Callaway thing is a good way to look at it though. If he can stay healthy, which with a full off-season protocol might well be possible, I do think the lack of off-season was a big factor to the league wide in-season injuries, then he has the ability to be special.

No off-season to get acclimated, I will consider them all part of the 21 class.
I think that’s fair.
I also think that whichever way Baun goes will determine if the draft was a home run or a single. I believe that Ruiz will be a solid center and that Trautman will be a very solid TE. I think Baun will bust, but am hopeful I’ll be eating crow on that.

I think that’s fair.
I also think that whichever way Baun goes will determine if the draft was a home run or a single. I believe that Ruiz will be a solid center and that Trautman will be a very solid TE. I think Baun will bust, but am hopeful I’ll be eating crow on that.
Bain’s got some speed so if Saints can’t figure out how to make him productive shame on them.

Duh!

Ruiz, Baun, Trautman, Stevens

I think that Trautman is the only “keeper.”
The rest... “meh.”

We need a good crop of draftees this Spring because we can’t afford to pay all veterans who are due.

:gosaints

You cant be serious?

I think Trautman, Ruiz, and Baun can and will be solid starters down the road...
Baun is the biggest ?
But you also have to consider that Baun was making a position change in the midst of a season with a vastly altered offseason and no preseason.

Duh!

Ruiz, Baun, Trautman, Stevens

I think that Trautman is the only “keeper.”
The rest... “meh.”

We need a good crop of draftees this Spring because we can’t afford to pay all veterans who are due.

:gosaints
Totally disagree because Ruiz will be a solid guard down the road (only had two penalties against him all year) Baun was never really given a chance and I wouldn’t mind getting Mike Nolan back to work with him and I would agree that Trautman was our diamond in the rough who deserved more chances in the offense specially in goal line situations I mean the dude is 6’5 and how could you not just do a jump ball to him

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom