Saints 29th in run defense on the edges (1 Viewer)

No QB has had big runs against us or many yards. Vick had 1 30 yarder and Frye had 44 yards, but that's really been it. It doesn't skew things.

Secondly, DeShaun Foster and Carnell Williams, the two who first exposed the edges of our run defense, are not "small" backs. Westbrook, the only truly small type back we've faced, we actually handled pretty good.

Fry had 6 carries for 44 yards, Farve had 0 attempts, Vick had 6 rushes for 57 yards, Delhomme had 3 rushes for -3 yards, Bradkowski had 8 for 31 in his two games against us, McNabb didn't have a rush attempt and McNair had 5 for 23 yards.

This would equal 28 rushes for 152 yards or 5.4 yards per carry. This year we have had 203 rushing attempts against us netting 923 yards for a 4.5 ypc average. If you subtract the runs by QB's then you get 175 attempts for 771 yards and a 4.4 yards per carry average. In other words QB's are running for 1 yard per carry more than RB's and WR's If the big runs came from the outside and the small runs came up the middle then it would make a dramatic difference, especially if the other teams don't have many rushing attempts to the outside. This also doesn't include rushing by WR's on reverses, like the one by Reggie Brown. I'm not saying that these stats don't paint a good picture but that the numbers could look much different if they showed attempts.

As far as Foster, Green and Cadillac you are correct they aren't small backs. I should have said they aren't power backs and rely more on speed (typically better outside runners). Droughns and Lewis are the only downhill power backs we have faced.

This also doesn't include rushing by WR's on reverses, like the one by Reggie Brown. I'm not saying that these stats don't paint a good picture but that the numbers could look much different if they showed attempts.

A word about this specifically before I address your main point. Reverses are like any other run in terms of determining (or exploiting) a weakness. While a QB run may not nessecarily demonstrate a structural defect (sometimes Mike Vick just pulls the ball down and runs for 30 yards and it's not really anyone on the defenses fault), a WR reverse is a play designed specifically to exploit a weakness on the edge. If the reverse works it means your defense is slow to the edges or overpursues (possibly overpursues because it's typically slow to the edge).

So when Tampa came out with a reverse in the first quarter and the very next game Philly hits us with a reverse also, these aren't "anomolies" like Vick scrambling can be, but rather demonstrative of the very fact i'm talking about, weak edge defense.

As far as the rest, it's possible the QB runs (specifically the 30 yard garbage time run by Vick) skew it somewhat, I actually don't know if QB runs are included or not (they shouldn't), but even if you subtracted them you're still discussing 4.5 YPC vs 3.0, 3.8. And there is little doubt most of the big runs have come on the edge irregardless.

I think that breaking down stats like this is ridiculous. There is one stat I look to .... 6-2 and leading the NFC South. Let the coaches deal with this kind of stuff .... it gives me a headache!

(tongue in cheek)

They give the ypc, but not the attempts or gross yardage.

It could be the result of the scheme. I would think there would be more attempts in the middle than the extreme edges anyway. If correct, then Gibbs & Co may have decided to concentrate on plugging the middle and rightfully so.

They give the ypc, but not the attempts or gross yardage.

It could be the result of the scheme. I would think there would be more attempts in the middle than the extreme edges anyway. If correct, then Gibbs & Co may have decided to concentrate on plugging the middle and rightfully so.

They give percentages

In the same order as the original post

11%
15%
53%
13%
7%

These percentages seem mostly typical for all of the teams (some exceptions being Arizona that had only 29% in the middle and evenly spread out from there...probably due to success outside, while New England has a whopping 66% in the middle, probably because running outside doesn't work well vs them. Most everyone is inbetween those extremes like us though).

Two stats are most important. Turnover differential is most important and points allowed is second most important.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom