Saints 29th ranked Turnover Margin (1 Viewer)

rpmgatech

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
We are <a href="http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/OFF-TURNOVERS/2006/regular?sort_col_1=9">29th ranked</a> when it comes to turnover margin. We are associated with the likes of Oakland, Cleveland, Houston, Detroit, San Francisco, and Pittsburgh.

I know it has been said by Coach Payton that this must be improved. But I just wanted to show you how bad we are when it comes to turnover differential.

And yet we are 6 and 3. If we had less turnovers we might be 9 and 0!

>>I know it has been said by Coach Payton that this must be improved. But I just wanted to show you how bad we are when it comes to turnover differential.

He said (Jimmy Smith article in yesterday's paper) that at -3, you're on borrowed time. We're on stolen time now. We've got to figure out a way to create more turnovers on defense and to hold onto the ball on offense.

TPS

And yet we are 6 and 3. If we had less turnovers we might be 9 and 0!

Exactly. Considering this was supposed to be a rebuilding year, I think this just shows *where* we need to rebuild. And next year we will be even better. Amazing.

We are <a href="http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/OFF-TURNOVERS/2006/regular?sort_col_1=9">29th ranked</a> when it comes to turnover margin. We are associated with the likes of Oakland, Cleveland, Houston, Detroit, San Francisco, and Pittsburgh.

I know it has been said by Coach Payton that this must be improved. But I just wanted to show you how bad we are when it comes to turnover differential.

We don't have the talent yet on defense to be able to take chances and create a lot of turnovers. As Charles Grant said in his interview yesterday, "turnovers aren't planned, they just happen." What he meant to say (I believe) is that creating turnovers by this D hasn't been stressed as much as playing sound, disciplined ball has.

That is more evident when you have a defense, which for the most part, has average talent.

It's more important for the coaches to teach them how to stay in their gaps and hold their coverages than risk a missed tackle trying to strip a ball, or give up a big TD trying to time an INT pick.

That's why they were ranked in the top ten in D before yesterday - discipline, sound fundamental football.

You see teams like the Ravens and Bears create a lot of turnovers for a reason: Their talent level on D and coaching.

If we would simply ELIMINATE our turnovers on offense, we would still easily be 8-1 or 9-0.

I.E. Indy Colts. Their D's no better than ours, but they rarely turn it over on offense and special teams.

The turn overs for the D will come as the talent level improves next year. In the meantime, eliminate the turnovers on O, and we'll go deep into the playoffs.

Last edited:
We don't have the talent yet on defense to be able to take chances and create a lot of turnovers. As Charles Grant said in his interview yesterday, "turnovers aren't planned, they just happen." What he meant to say is that (I believe) is that creating turnovers by this D hasn't been stressed as much as playing sound, disciplined ball has.

That is more evident when you have a defense, which for the most part, has average talent.

It's more important for the coaches to teach them how to stay in their gaps and hold their coverages than risk a missed tackle tring to strip a ball, or give up a big TD trying to time an INT pick.

That's why they were ranked in the top ten in D before yesterday - discipline.

You see teams like the Ravens and Bears create a lot of turnovers for a reason: Their talent level on D and coaching.

If we would simply ELIMINATE our turnovers on offense, we would still easily be 8-1 or 9-0.

The turn overs for the D will come as the talent level improves next year. In the meantime, eliminate the turnovers on O, and we'll go deep into the playoffs.
Excellent post and one I agree with. I would rather our defense play solid football and not risk being out of position trying to create a turnover. Sure an int is sexy, but a DB going for the ball and missing will usually mean 6 the other way. We need to reduce our turn over margin by stopping our own turnovers. Stop the fumbling. Stop the interceptions. Stop the idiotic penalties on 3rd down which forces a punt. Let the defensive turnovers come to us, but clamp down HARD on the football on offense!!

Probably the single most important stat of all. To have our record with that turnover differential is amazing. It has got to stop though. The fumbles have to be unacceptable. I believe the coaches have the players in the right places and now it is up to the players to perform like they are supposed to and are paid to. The only time they looked out of place was on the Parker runs. I still don't get why there way no containment. Somebody should have been turning the guy inside to the help. Back to the subject, the turnovers must cease. All the yards and everything are great but if you move all up and down the field and then fumble the yards are for nothing.

We're a little worse than average in givaways, but terrible at takeaways.

We're relatively good at avoiding interceptions (8), and relatively bad at fumbling (8).

We're a little worse than average at forcing and recovering fumbles (6).

The conspicuous key to our turnover margin is our inability to get interceptions (4). This is tied for second-worst in the league. We have no ball-hawks.

I guess the new management can only overhaul so much in their first year.

We're a little worse than average in givaways, but terrible at takeaways.

We're relatively good at avoiding interceptions (8), and relatively bad at fumbling (8).

We're a little worse than average at forcing and recovering fumbles (6).

The conspicuous key to our turnover margin is our inability to get interceptions (4). This is tied for second-worst in the league. We have no ball-hawks.

I guess the new management can only overhaul so much in their first year.

I agree with you 100%. Unfortunately, we simply don't have the personnel right now to get a lot of picks.

You can bet that acquiring a solid corner in FA (there are a few who may be available) is going to be a priority for this organization.

I believe this alone, will also raise the level of Mckenzie's play. He's not a bad DB, and with some help back there, he'll be better.

With Harper coming back, and Fred moving to the nickel, we would be much improved in the secondary with the addition of a solid corner.

Of cousre, replacing Craft as a backup is also paramount.

**As a side note, you'd have to agree that with just the addition of Hollis and the 3 line backers we got this year, we're still a far cry better than the D we fielded under Haz.

Can you image our record this year with Sullivan, Courtney Watson, Hodge, etc. still starting on D? I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

If we can also acquire a solid MLB in FA and another solid LB to challenge Chanle, we'll be much improved in 07'. Scott F is a stud - no need to find his replacement.

I feel if we had a more of a Dominating
Defense we would be OK!!!

smiley-faces-29.gif

Turnovers on offense will kill you, this is certain. Getting turnovers on defense helps alot, but causing 3 and outs on defense is almost as good as a turnover.

I agree that if we learn to protect the ball on offense, this team is practically unbeatable.

As a side note, Pitt went into that game desperate for turnovers, and it showed. They were focusing on putting helmuts on the football, this is evident when you consider that Reggie took two of their players out of the game with concussions from collisions around his arms.

Ultimately, the two weaknesses contributing to this turnover margin are giving up fumbles and not getting interceptions. The giving up fumbles part can be fixed with the coaches stressing this to the players all week. They could make Reggie always hold a football even when he is not practicing and have players randomly try to knock it out. We did this in high school one time when our RB was fumbling a lot. As for the interceptions, that will not be fixed. We are just not talented in our secondary. But I'll live with that if we can reduce fumbling.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom