Saints 2nd round pick best value: (1 Viewer)

Too me...best value for a 2nd round pick would be an offensive skill position. RB/TE....pref TE because b4 hill went down he was in a timeshare with Fleener who was playing about 50% of the snaps. Meaning depending on what you do with Hill (his cap figure drops this year) there is a role available for a complimentary TE like Evan Engram who is more of a vertical threat/jumpball/seam threat than Fleener.

So yeah I'd have to say a TE.....we know how taking a WR worked out for us last year so if we only had 1 pick to spend in what is considered a weak offensive class...id nab an offensive skill position player.

Too me...best value for a 2nd round pick would be an offensive skill position. RB/TE....pref TE because b4 hill went down he was in a timeshare with Fleener who was playing about 50% of the snaps. Meaning depending on what you do with Hill (his cap figure drops this year) there is a role available for a complimentary TE like Evan Engram who is more of a vertical threat/jumpball/seam threat than Fleener.

So yeah I'd have to say a TE.....we know how taking a WR worked out for us last year so if we only had 1 pick to spend in what is considered a weak offensive class...id nab an offensive skill position player.

Looking at that logic to compare. Starting caliber guard: who will play almost every offensive snap or a TE that will split snaps with fleener among others

I think the best value in round 2 is the same as round 1, DB or pass rusher. Adoree Jackson, Tre'Davious White, Gareon Conley, Desmond King, Kevin King, Rasul Douglas, Jordan Willis, Takkarist McKinley, Tim Williams, Ryan Anderson, Tyus Bowser, Tanoh Kpassagnon are just some of the names that could still be available.

Edit: Forgot to list some safeties like Marcus Williams, Obi Melifonwu, Justin Evans, Marcus Maye, Eddie Jackson... Maybe even Jabrill Peppers or Budda Baker.

Hope we don't draft a guard that early. Would rather sign one in FA than draft one. Preferably Zeitler.

My crush on Feeney as a 2nd round guard (maybe 3rd?) is about as big as yours on Thomas in 1st lol. Yes please!

I would love to grab Johnson in the 2nd along with Dan Feeney from Indiana who I like a lot as well. IMO Johnson and Feeney are both going to be a pro bowl OGs and would fit in perfectly here. I still believe Peat is our future at RT and the move will be made when Streif is no longer a part of the plans. Some have greatly exaggerated that Peat can't play the right side because he played LT in college. Multiple reasons he was bad on the right side in his short term there and mostly was because at the time he just wasn't ready for any position. Hitting on 1 stud OG like Johnson/Feeney with Peat making the switch to RT and our OLine is set. We will be in good shape if Evans/Turner/Lelito/Kelemente/Young are all competing for the RG position and depth. All while still having young players coming in to compete through draft picks or undrafted players along with a potential FA signing. Would love to land someone like Zeitler but if we can find that OG in the draft and use that $ on a star CB/DE then even better. One hit at OG and we are right in the discussion with the Cowboys.

Looking at that logic to compare. Starting caliber guard: who will play almost every offensive snap or a TE that will split snaps with fleener among others

Easy..TE. In football the further you are from the ball the harder it is to mask your weaknesses. De La Peunte was a Starting C for us. Played at a high level. Hit FA..signed a modest contract late...not even as a starter...flamed out. You get exposed easier so that makes skill positions harder to fill...thus value goes up. It's why Safety is a premium position.

So in theory you either fill G in FA or unless it's a transcendent talent you can probably wait. I don't think this G class is very stacked and you have Jahri in your back pocket but you probably go for one in FA to fill that quickly. We did entertain the G from Seahawks last year JR sweezy but didn't have enough money. Think we'll be more aggressive this year.

Yeah crappy wording. Meant his skill set is pigeoned hole to one specific type of scheme. He needs a pure down blocking scheme. We run zone. Also In pass sets he has to step up instead of step back which can throw off pass pro dynamics. He is a down blocker/3 step drop quick pass guard. He can fit in KC/Titans/Eagles he don't fit in here. We can use him in goalinebut that's kinda it

Is that all he's capable of or is that the system Matt Canada wanted to run?

That's what workouts and the combine are for.

I can totally see the excitement of bringing in yet another offensive weapon, and i too am a huge fan of EE17, but we're getting to a point where there will ultimately be way too many mouths to feed. Cooks, Thomas, Snead, Ingram, Fleener, Coleman, etc. As absolutely awesome as EE17 would be on our O, we desperately need 10 times more talent on D as we possibly can.

If it came down to Basham, TJ Watt, Jarad Davis, Melifonwu, Adoree' Jackson, Marcus Williams, Des King, Raek McMillan, etc. and EE17, I'd hope we go D, because not only would all those dudes fit a dire need, but I think theyre better values at that point in RD 2.

I mean as monster of a slam dunk as Michael Thomas was for our O, we didnt win any more games, go to the playoffs, nor did we improve that much as a team in general. That's because the team as a whole, is dramatically unbalanced in terms of our O and D playing complementary football.

Seriously, how are we the #1 overall offense, with Drew throwing for 5Gs and nearly 40 TDs, Cooks and Thomas getting 1000 yard seasons each, Snead pulling 800 plus, Mark mashing for a G, and we're still a 7-9 non playoff team? Dude, 34 to 35, 32 to 45, 32 to 38, etc, are all huge offensive games that we lost. With Payton and Drew in house, we'll always have offense.

The O keeps us in games for sure, but over the last 3 years, it hasnt exactly won them either. I think the key has never been how many points we score, cause we're gonna score, it's how many points we keep the other guys from scoring. That's been the one glaring negative over the course of the Payton/Brees era. The years that the team played even average team D, we were perennial playoff contenders and even won a championship.

Just to be clear, I'm not against drafting Evan Engram at all. It's just the first 2 days of the draft are so wealthy w/defense from top to bottom. The value of drafting a D player at that point will be equal to, if not more valuable than Engram's stock in my opinion. I love me some EE17, but I love improving the D a whole heck of a lot more.

Pretty much everyone has agreed that DB and pass rushers are the deepest positions in the draft. Do y'all think too many of them will go in first round or what? Seems like an easy choice for best value in round 2 for me. Just trying to figure out what y'all are thinking with G, TE, RB, etc.

Way off topic, but does anyone else have a habit of not proofreading until after posting and then racing to edit before someone quotes it? Or is that just me? Lol

Pretty much everyone has agreed that DB and pass rushers are the deepest positions in the draft. Do y'all think too many of them will go in first round or what? Seems like an easy choice for best value in round 2 for me. Just trying to figure out what y'all are thinking with G, TE, RB, etc.

I think our first 2 picks have to be invested in defense. I'd personally even say our 3rd RDer too. But I think after RD 2, all best are off. We're gonna draft , who we're gonna draft. Hopefully it's OL and maybe a returner, regardless of position.

I can totally see the excitement of bringing in yet another offensive weapon, and i too am a huge fan of EE17, but we're getting to a point where there will ultimately be way too many mouths to feed. Cooks, Thomas, Snead, Ingram, Fleener, Coleman, etc. As absolutely awesome as EE17 would be on our O, we desperately need 10 times more talent on D as we possibly can.

If it came down to Basham, TJ Watt, Jarad Davis, Melifonwu, Adoree' Jackson, Marcus Williams, Des King, Raek McMillan, etc. and EE17, I'd hope we go D, because not only would all those dudes fit a dire need, but I think theyre better values at that point in RD 2.

I mean as monster of a slam dunk as Michael Thomas was for our O, we didnt win any more games, go to the playoffs, nor did we improve that much as a team in general. That's because the team as a whole, is dramatically unbalanced in terms of our O and D playing complementary football.

Seriously, how are we the #1 overall offense, with Drew throwing for 5Gs and nearly 40 TDs, Cooks and Thomas getting 1000 yard seasons each, Snead pulling 800 plus, Mark mashing for a G, and we're still a 7-9 non playoff team? Dude, 34 to 35, 32 to 45, 32 to 38, etc, are all huge offensive games that we lost. With Payton and Drew in house, we'll always have offense.

The O keeps us in games for sure, but over the last 3 years, it hasnt exactly won them either. I think the key has never been how many points we score, cause we're gonna score, it's how many points we keep the other guys from scoring. That's been the one glaring negative over the course of the Payton/Brees era. The years that the team played even average team D, we were perennial playoff contenders and even won a championship.

Just to be clear, I'm not against drafting Evan Engram at all. It's just the first 2 days of the draft are so wealthy w/defense from top to bottom. The value of drafting a D player at that point will be equal to, if not more valuable than Engram's stock in my opinion. I love me some EE17, but I love improving the D a whole heck of a lot more.

I don't think Cooks will get his 2nd contract here. Just me..

I sure hope you're wrong. I feel like Brees, Cooks, and Thomas could go down in history if they stay together long enough. Best QB, WR, WR combo of all time.

Personally, I don't. I think the trend will stick to historical models with teams in 1st round addressing need. Tackles/QBs/RBs always have, and always will, go before they should sometimes because of need. Personal belief. Someone I think here on SR shared a stat that said there hadn't been a OT that wasn't selected in top 15 since the 80s?

Dude, I totally agree. I think Michael Thomas, and even Sneads accession, kind of dampened Cooks value a bit. Thomas is 100% the alpha of his position group in my opinion. I think Cooks size and catch radius, or lack there of, has shown up a lot over the last few years. Not hating on Cooks, but I too see the same writing on the wall.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom