Saints $3.3 mil under cap (1 Viewer)

This has been discussed ad nauseum. There is no financial benefit to it.

He said "June 1st cut" not just cut him.

There is financial benefit to doing that. To the tune of several million.

Outright cutting him now provides only a million in savings and isn't worth it.

One other alternative the Saints have to free a few million in cap space is to sign De la Puente and Ivory. Most likely their new contracts could be made more friendly.

All these people are guessing.

We've seen four different numbers in the last 12 hours. There's just noway anyone actually knows except the FO.

Spotrac remains the best possible source

New Orleans Saints - 2013 Cap Hits

They haven't updated Watson's figure yet, but given they've updated some of our restructures within a couple of hours, it's not because they're slow. I've yet to see them make a mistake, so the best thing is to just wait for them to update the full figures and go from there. I would be skeptical of any traditional media writers cap number.

Based on what they have, we'll have more than $3.3 mil in cap space even after they update Watson's number I believe.

When do we have to be under the cap again?

Could we sign who we want, be over the next month or so, and move Ivory on draft day to get to where we need to be? Or sign DLP in the meantime as well.

Or are all deals required to be under the cap immediately now?

He said "June 1st cut" not just cut him.

There is financial benefit to doing that. To the tune of several million.

Outright cutting him now provides only a million in savings and isn't worth it.

We still have to take a million hit this year, even though there would be larger savings later. The other problem is if he is cut in June, who would the Saints replace him with?

When do we have to be under the cap again?

Could we sign who we want, be over the next month or so, and move Ivory on draft day to get to where we need to be? Or sign DLP in the meantime as well.

Or are all deals required to be under the cap immediately now?

We can't go over the cap at this point.

Technically we can never be "over" the cap. When we talk about getting "under" the cap prior to free agency what is meant is that the team's 2013 salaries have to be beneath the cap before the 2013 year begins. Even before free agency when we were talking about being "over", we were still technically in 2012 and our 2012 salaries were below the cap.

That said, we don't have to make space for the draft picks until we actually sign them. So we can draft players with no cap room. And any UDFA signed will not be in the top 51 contracts, and therefore not count towards the cap. So we can sign as many UDFA's we want (up until the total roster limit).

So while we can't "go over", we can use up all available cap space right now as we choose, and use moving Ivory or some other player to create the additional cap space necessary after the draft for signing draft picks.

We still have to take a million hit this year, even though there would be larger savings later. The other problem is if he is cut in June, who would the Saints replace him with?

Obviously we're not bringing in a FA S at this point. So if we cut Harper it's because we feel confident about Rafael Bush, Corey White, and Isa-Abdul Quddus and want the cap space for some other player, or because we've drafted someone and need the cap space to sign the draft picks.

But both of those are highly unlikely scenarios, in my opinion. If we were going to cut Harper, it would have happened in my opinion.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom