Saints 4th best defense in NFL (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Giving up 308.2 ypg

Offense is currently 12th in ypg, but 4th in points/g

I am pretty sure this is the first time under Sean Payton that the defense may be even better than the offense, and the offense is still very good.

They've eliminated the explosives and it made a big difference. I take little credence in that yards stat though. This is what matters to me.

Defense - 2.34 points/drive (15th)
Offense - 2.81 points/drive (6th)

Considering they were a bottom barrel defense in points per drive most of the season that's an awesome turnaround. The offense has hovered around top 5 all year. Big question marks loom though.

Giving up 308.2 ypg

I am pretty sure this is the first time under Sean Payton that the defense may be even better than the offense, and the offense is still very good.
Good find MJC.
The D has been balling out. Hopefully it continues.

Giving up 308.2 ypg

Offense is 4th in ppg
Defense 12th in ppg

Offense still considerably better than the defense.

They've eliminated the explosives and it made a big difference. I take little credence in that yards stat though. This is what matters to me.

Defense - 2.34 points/drive (15th)
Offense - 2.81 points/drive (6th)

Considering they were a bottom barrel defense in points per drive most of the season that's an awesome turnaround. The offense has hovered around top 5 all year. Big question marks loom though.

You are right. The defense has been trending toward the #1 defense in points allowed over the last 3 games. It will be interesting to see if they can keep this trend going against Atlanta.

Below are some defense points allowed charts I just pulled. The first one is just the season average points allowed. The other two are points per game sorted by the last 3 games for comparison to others and points per play sorted by the last 3 games. This is the defense I expected coming into the year, but it took them a wasted first quarter of the season to get there.

EDIT: 15.75 ppg allowed since the bye, 18.0 ppg allowed since Davenport returned.

IMG_20201121_193223_086.jpg

IMG_20201121_193311_027.jpg

IMG_20201121_193117_459.jpg

Last edited:
I absolutely hate that they rank teams based off of yards given up. Yards don't win games, points do. This is why I'll say until the day I die that the 2012 Saints defense was NOT the worst in history. Sure, by yards it is but the worst defense in history doesn't get a shutout. And don't give me that broken clock or blind squirrel analogy because it doesn't work. A shutout would be the equivalent of a broken clock being right 10 times a day or a blind squirrel finding a dozen nuts. It's impossible. Okay, rant over. I had to get that out.

This is why I'll say until the day I die that the 2012 Saints defense was NOT the worst in history.

By ppg allowed, the 2012 Saints D wasn't even the worst Saints defense:

28.4 ppg - 2012 and 2016 Saints D tied (2012 Titans D allowed 29.4 ppg)
29.8 ppg - 2015 Saints D
30.4 ppg - 1980 Saints D

Other notorious defenses:

30.9 ppg - 2019 Dolphins D
32.3 ppg - 2008 Lions D
35.8 ppg - 1966 Giants D (All Time Worst PPG)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom