Saints 4th best defense in NFL (1 Viewer)

Don’t look at their 3-6 record, the Falcon O may well present the biggest challenge for our D so far this season. Matt Ryan is having a really good year.He’s thrown for 2746 yds (2nd in the League ) 67 % completion rate, 15 TDs and only 5 INTS. They also have a “complimentary” run game (961 yds) led by Gurley with 584 yds.

I see this coming down to 3 things. Our run D must continue to dominate, forcing their O to be more one dimensional. Our 4 man pass rush needs to continue to get good pressure n get in Ryan’s face n in his head! Our DBs then just need to play smart, n limit deep balls n unnecessary DPIs !

We’ll see!

Don’t look at their 3-6 record, the Falcon O may well present the biggest challenge for our D so far this season. Matt Ryan is having a really good year.He’s thrown for 2746 yds (2nd in the League ) 67 % completion rate, 15 TDs and only 5 INTS. They also have a “complimentary” run game (961 yds) led by Gurley with 584 yds.

I see this coming down to 3 things. Our run D must continue to dominate, forcing their O to be more one dimensional. Our 4 man pass rush needs to continue to get good pressure n get in Ryan’s face n in his head! Our DBs then just need to play smart, n limit deep balls n unnecessary DPIs !

We’ll see!

And shut down the underneath crossing routes on 3rd downs....the bread and butter plays of Mat Ryan. If the Saints can do that, They will surely win...

And shut down the underneath crossing routes on 3rd downs....the bread and butter plays of Mat Ryan. If the Saints can do that, They will surely win...

Yep. They’re 43% on 3rd down conversions, n 56% on 4th downs. So off top, it’s important for the D to get out “ahead” of em, n “win” on 1st downs.

The problem with those stats is that they don't include penalties, and we have quite a lot of those. I don't think #4 is the "real" rank of the defense, but they're not bad.

The problem with those stats is that they don't include penalties, and we have quite a lot of those. I don't think #4 is the "real" rank of the defense, but they're not bad.

while you are right about the average play over the whole year, for two weeks now they have very much looked like a top 5 defense. Coverage will be a challenge today without Latt but if they continue to not blow deep assignments, I could grow comfortable with calling them a top five D.

i have also become convinced that, at this point, in order to have a good coverage D, you are going to have to count on some kind of margin on penalties. It’s such a judgement call that if you are playing good coverage there is always a chance. Sucks that it has become that.

while you are right about the average play over the whole year, for two weeks now they have very much looked like a top 5 defense. Coverage will be a challenge today without Latt but if they continue to not blow deep assignments, I could grow comfortable with calling them a top five D.

i have also become convinced that, at this point, in order to have a good coverage D, you are going to have to count on some kind of margin on penalties. It’s such a judgement call that if you are playing good coverage there is always a chance. Sucks that it has become that.

Oh for sure, last 3 games were pretty amazing for the defense. I just think that saying that it's the #4 defense in the league is a bit premature.

They do look like something is trending towards the right direction, though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom