Saints Saints agree to contract with Malcom Jenkins 4 years/$32M(up to $35M)/$16.25M Guaranteed (1 Viewer)

Does anyone know what current year cap looks like now? Looks like restructuring Armstead & MT freed up about $13M.

I'm so tired of seeing a safety in the slot for the Saints.

It’s pretty common for safeties to match up on TEs. We need Davis manning the middle, and otherwise we don’t have a LB capable of covering TEs (please don’t say the A word). If we play trans with good 3 man WR sets, I could see PRob getting on the field more to cover the slot.

I'm glad to see him back in the fold. We should have never let him leave. I'm anxious to see what happens with Bell. I wish we could afford both of them, but we do have CJGJ that really showed some promise last season.

So what does this mean w/ Bell? Is he pretty much gone?.. I hope not. I'd be fine with this if it meant Bell was resigned.

CSP & Co. evidently wants leadership back there so, imo, Bell has to be part of it.

Underhill is saying that we offered Bell $7.5 million per year and he said he wanted more. We responded by signing Jenkins.
Sounds familiar like with the MI debacle.. He gone ?

Last edited:
I don't think Bell was ever really a good fit for what we want to do at SS. He's a good player, but he is limited in coverage. He's basically an in the box safety that tackles well. He's not very good in coverage and I think teams were exploiting that. It also forced Marcus Willams to shade to his side as the single high safety to protect over the top instead of being able to freely roam the deep areas of the field and make plays. Jenkins and CGJ are both guys that can cover the slot with little help. That will allow Williams to make plays and let them be more aggressive on defense.
True. This is making me feel better about the whole situation...but just this part.

He's never going to see the last two years of that deal. The guaranteed money is what it's all about and the four years is to spread the cap hit. We won't have a 36 year old Malcolm Jenkins roaming the secondary.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom