Saints Saints agree to contract with Malcom Jenkins 4 years/$32M(up to $35M)/$16.25M Guaranteed (1 Viewer)

Jenkins is without question a target for the Saints to try to shore up what might be the worst 2 minute drill pass defense in the league. The Saints defense puts on a pretty good show for 56 minutes. But the final two minutes of each half are a wild ride of horrific secondary play and watching leads evaporate. Bringing in a proven, well respected veteran could be huge to fixing that.

For the money it seems he'll require, I'm not happy at all about this move. I don't see any way we keep him and Bell. I would much rather have the younger Bell, but he could command some really big money and not be feasible.

I'll reserve full judgment to see how the money breaks down on both cases. Keeping Bell was always unlikely because we already have a cheap replacement in Johnson. But we'd still have to add another safety for depth, so if the money isn't bad, this could actually be good.

The good news is, since he was released, he won't count against the compensatory pick formula.

I know Payton has publicly expressed regret about Jenkins being "the one that got away." I hope we didn't sell the farm in an effort to undo that mistake, because it's not likely Jenkins has lots of time left, despite the fact he's played well lately.

Bell was just hitting his stride imo. I think it’s a mistake.
Bell might be pricing himself out of our range though. I agree that he was just really coming on and hope we can sign both of them.

Also, we still have Saquon Hampton and CJGJ as safeties too.

Even with the loss of Bell, the Saints are a very talented bunch in the secondary. They just desperately needed someone who can come in and tie it all together. Talent has never been an issue the past 2-3 seasons. The lack of a high IQ and steady veteran would have been a huge difference to this young secondary. Sucks to lose Bell as a result but CGJ will easily be better than Bell. If Jenkins comes in and helps Marcus Williams play up to his potential, the goal will have been accomplished.

The other thing I like about this deal is that it does not hurt the comp pick formula.

We are currently in line for a 3rd round comp pick in 2021 due to the Bridgewater deal. Signing cut players won't infringe on that.

Beat me to it. And if we lose Bell for a decent contract, that could mean a 4th or 5th.

This is what the Patriots have done for years.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom