Saints All Disappointment Team (1 Viewer)

saint_drago

I Must Break You
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
With the inexplicable signing of Stephone Anthony by the Jets, it has me thinking about other Saints draft disappointments. Anthony had everything you'd look for in a LBer except for the ability to play football. We've drafted so many players like that. I think our All Disappointment team could compete with any other All Disappointment team in the league. Here's the defense I've come up with. I'm running a 3-4 because we are stacked at LBer. This is just going back to when I started following the draft back in the Ditka error/era.

DE - Jared Tomich
DT - Johnathan Sullivan
DE - Martez Wilson

OLB - Cie Grant
ILB - Stephone Anthony
ILB - Courtney Watson
OLB - Sedrick Hodge

CB - Stanley Jean - Baptiste
CB - Johnny Patrick

FS - Rob Kelly
SS - Chip Vaughn

Last edited:
Add PK/P Russell Erxleben to a special teams version.

This was before my time and I just can't make this pick make sense. Like, at all. I understand that he was an excellent player in college but 11th overall? What the?

It would be one thing if he turned out to be awesome like the Kicker they drafted a few years later, The Great Dane. But he wasn't awesome. He was the polar opposite of awesome. He attempted 8 Field Goals in his career. He made 4 of them. He was money on extra points though going 7 for 7. And the Saints were able to get some Punts out of him at least.

This was before my time and I just can't make this pick make sense. Like, at all. I understand that he was an excellent player in college but 11th overall? What the?

It would be one thing if he turned out to be awesome like the Kicker they drafted a few years later, The Great Dane. But he wasn't awesome. He was the polar opposite of awesome. He attempted 8 Field Goals in his career. He made 4 of them. He was money on extra points though going 7 for 7. And the Saints were able to get some Punts out of him at least.
Before my time, too. But Dad mentions him everytime a draft bust is discussed. Makes no sense to me either. I'm guessing that they hoped they were getting another Ray Guy.

Add PK/P Russell Erxleben to a special teams version.

It's easy to poke fun at Erxleben as a placekicker, as that experiment failed mightily. But he really wasn't all that bad as a punter. He had a good average for that time period. I've rewatched enough old games on YT to say my only criticism is that he often out-kicked the coverage, resulting in a few backbreaking punt return TDs, especially in '83, his final season.

Strategic, directional punting didn't become a precise science until the 21st century, just like quarterbacking. Followed technology's ability to track percentages and such.

My all time Saints draft bust team. I just picked guys drafted from the 1980s to today. And I just used players taken in the first 3 rounds cause after that you not really considered a bust IMO.

QB: Garrett Grayson
RB: Vaughn Dunbar
WR: Lindsay Scott
TE: Cam Cleeland
OT: Charles Brown
OG: Andy Alleman
Tenant was a 5th rounder, so I couldn’t find a center bust.

DE: Jared Tomich & Shawn Knight
DT: Jonathan Sullivan
LB: Stephone Anthony, Martez Wilson, Alfred Fincher, Courtney Watson, Alvin Toles
CB: Alex Molden, Stanley Jean-Baptiste, Johnny Patrick
S: Rob Kelly

I could of listed more players for sure, but went with some of the worst guys.

My all time Saints draft bust team. I just picked guys drafted from the 1980s to today. And I just used players taken in the first 3 rounds cause after that you not really considered a bust IMO.

QB: Garrett Grayson
RB: Vaughn Dunbar
WR: Lindsay Scott
TE: Cam Cleeland
OT: Charles Brown
OG: Andy Alleman
DE: Jared Tomich & Shawn Knight
DT: Jonathan Sullivan
LB: Stephone Anthony, Martez Wilson, Alfred Fincher, Courtney Watson, Alvin Toles
CB: Alex Molden, Stanley Jean-Baptiste, Johnny Patrick
S: Rob Kelly

I could of listed more players for sure, but went with some of the worst guys.

Good list. I tried to fit Alfred Fincher in there but didn't have room. Had to put Martez at DE just to get him on the field. I just went with the first 4 rounds. After the 4th round it's hard to be disappointed with a pick. You're going with the first 3 rounds and that's fair but I included the 4th.

Stephone Anthony was our leading tackler one year. We've had worst busts.

No doubt. We've had much, much worse busts. But Anthony went from looking like a decent young player to a complete liability that the coaches couldn't even trust in special teams. I thought we finally had our LBer after years of misses. Turns out he was just another miss who seemed like a hit at first.

Last edited:
Gotta come to Toles' defense a little bit, in that he was indeed a no. 1 pick in '85, but that was just before the USFL folded. With that event came the supplemental draft for the league's players, and that yielded ILBs Sam Mills and Vaughan Johnson. There was no way in the world Toles was beating out those two guys, especially with the transition from Bum to Mora. Toles ended contributing on special teams but his career was cut short by a bad knee injury, I believe in 1988.

With the inexplicable signing of Stephone Anthony by the Jets, it has me thinking about other Saints draft disappointments. Anthony had everything you'd look for in a LBer except for the ability to play football. We've drafted so many players like that. I think our All Disappointment team could compete with any other All Disappointment team in the league. Here's the defense I've come up with. I'm running a 3-4 because we are stacked at LBer. This is just going back to when I started following the draft back in the Ditka error/era.

DE - Jared Tomich
DT - Johnathan Sullivan
DE - Martez Wilson

OLB - Cie Grant
ILB - Stephone Anthony
ILB - Courtney Watson
OLB - Sedrick Hodge

CB - Stanley Jean- Baptiste
CB - Johnny Patrick

FS - Rob Kelly
SS - Chip Vaughn
I would swap the corners with Jason David and Alex Molden. Those two were getting burned every Sunday!

Off the top of my head...

QB - Brooks - Was electric that first few games but plateaued and just fell off a cliff at the end.
RB - CJ Spiller - Was supposed to be Bush-like. More like Bust-like.
FB - Brad Muster - Dude was good with the Bears - not so much here.
WR - Michael Haynes - Saint killer in Atlanta. Saint killer with New Orleans.
WR - Adrian Arrington - I really thought this dude was going to be a star...
TE - Boo Williams - Flashed big time. Crashed about the same time Brooks did.
C- Olin Kreutz - Dude sucked and attacked Brees...Enough said
OL - Jamaal Brown - Bad knees...
OL - Charles Brown - Great athleticism. No heart.
OL- Chris Naeole- Such a reach
OL - Turley - was really great to start and then went psycho

DE - Alex Brown - Was supposed to be a nice compliment to Smith. Nope
DE - Galette - What a precipitous fall
LB - Lofton - Buncha empty tackle stats
LB - David Hawthorne - Always hurt, never lived up to contract
LB - Bockwoldt, Hodge, Grant, Watson, Allen - basically every LB Haslett drafted
S- That guy from NE I forget his name.
S- Byrd
CB- Lewis - Again, great at first but disappointing fall.
CB - Breaux - See Lewis.
K - Olindo Mare - Was terrible.
P - I can't really think of one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom