Saints All Disappointment Team (1 Viewer)

With the inexplicable signing of Stephone Anthony by the Jets, it has me thinking about other Saints draft disappointments. Anthony had everything you'd look for in a LBer except for the ability to play football. We've drafted so many players like that. I think our All Disappointment team could compete with any other All Disappointment team in the league. Here's the defense I've come up with. I'm running a 3-4 because we are stacked at LBer. This is just going back to when I started following the draft back in the Ditka error/era.

DE - Jared Tomich
DT - Johnathan Sullivan
DE - Martez Wilson

OLB - Cie Grant
ILB - Stephone Anthony
ILB - Courtney Watson
OLB - Sedrick Hodge

CB - Stanley Jean- Baptiste
CB - Johnny Patrick

FS - Rob Kelly
SS - Chip Vaughn
You are the real mvp this list hurt my soul!!! I agree with everyone on this list but Cie Grant was way to injured for me to have dissatisfied feelings. I would swap Martez Wilson to OLB and put Hau'uoli Kikaha at DE

In retrospect I have to go with Bobby Herbert for all time disappointing QB
To have one of the all time best defenses and win zero playoff games- that sucks (yes, it’s not totally his fault, but...)

He’s like the reverse image Drew Brees

At least he had Mark Duper and Anthony Carter to throw to in college and the USFL. The only WR he had in his seven full seasons with the Saints who had adequate pro skills AND the speed/separation to get open was Quinn Early. Slight nod to Brett Perriman, who didn't really get on the field much in the NFL until he went to Detroit, then in 1995 caught a hundred passes from Scott Mitchell :idunno:

Yes, Eric Martin was clutch as a possession receiver but really should have been a TE. In the background of it all was that the Saints weren't Tom Benson's lone business interest in those early days of his ownership. When I read the book about him while the Three R's court case was winding down, I figured out why it seemed no big-time was money was ever spent on top-flight athletes. He was focused on other business interests at the time.

Cam Cleeland was just like the worst luck ever. Dude looked legit,seriously,Ruptured Achilles in preseason. Comes back the next year and ruptures the other Achilles.

Don't forget Cleeland getting his orbital socket crushed by a bag of coins, swung by free agent linebacker Andre Royals, while he was running through the rookie hazing event known as the "gauntlet".

0111c62d35b8e0ad45a24ee6c01e9279.gif

To be fair to Vaughn Dunbar didn’t he rip he knee up his rookie year? (Preseason?)

And that when those were really hard to come back from

Who knows what would have happened if he didn’t get hurt

Don't forget Cleeland getting his orbital socket crushed by a bag of coins, swung by free agent linebacker Andre Royals, while he was running through the rookie hazing event known as the "gauntlet".

0111c62d35b8e0ad45a24ee6c01e9279.gif
Jesus,I forgot about that. Imagine what Goodell would have done to us if he was commissioner then.

God, Jonathan Sullivan . . .man. 6th overall pick and did nothing. Traded to the Pats in '06 for a six pick of beer and got cut by them 4 months later. For some reason that one just really sticks out in my mind as the worst.

Yeah that one stands out for me too for some reason. It's not just that it was a very high pick, I mean, when you get absolutely nothing out of the 6th pick overall that's not great. But for me what makes it worse is when you look at the players drafted right around him. They all had decent careers and definitely could've helped the Saints. Just look at this,

#5 - Terrence Newman (Pro Bowler)
#6 - Sullivan
#7 - Byron Leftwich
#8 - Jordan Gross (Pro Bowler, All Pro)
#9 - Kevin Williams (Pro Bowler, All Pro, All Decade Team 2000s)
#10 - Terrell Suggs (Pro Bowler, All Pro)
#11 - Marcus Trufant (Pro Bowler)

That's like throwing a rock in the Pacific Ocean only to see it land on a toilet seat that happened to be floating by.

Last edited:
To be fair to Vaughn Dunbar didn’t he rip he knee up his rookie year? (Preseason?)

And that when those were really hard to come back from

Who knows what would have happened if he didn’t get hurt

You might be thinking of KiJana Carter, who did that with Cincy and never got off ground. He spent one or two years with us, in the Ditka Error, I think.

Dunbar was just fine in '92, except for his running style. He mainly ran up the back of his linemen with no vision whatsoever. The very next year, the team was drafting RBs again, in Derek Brown and Lorenzo Neal.

You might be thinking of KiJana Carter, who did that with Cincy and never got off ground. He spent one or two years with us, in the Ditka Error, I think.

Dunbar was just fine in '92, except for his running style. He mainly ran up the back of his linemen with no vision whatsoever. The very next year, the team was drafting RBs again, in Derek Brown and Lorenzo Neal.

I think I’m confusing the two

Didnt dunbar get hurt his second year?

A7E21BD9-4808-4492-9261-A0C2CC1F4023.jpeg

He mainly ran up the back of his linemen with no vision whatsoever. The very next year, the team was drafting RBs again, in Derek Brown and Lorenzo Neal.

Dunbar's lack of vision is what I remember most. I seriously wondered if the guy wasn't somewhat blind, literally.

1) QB- Archie Manning Mississippi 8) LB Mark Fields WSU
2) DE - Joe Campell Maryland 9) CB Alex Molden Oregon
3) WR- Larry Burton Purdue 10) G Chris Naeole Colorado
4) K - Russell Erxleben Texas 11) DT Johnsthon Sullivan Georgia
5) WR - Lindsay Scott Georgia 12) LB Stephone Anothy Clemson
6) DE - Shawn Knight BYU
7) RB - Vaughn Dunbar Indiana

You're picking for a fight with that Archie Manning stuff, aren't you? :scorn:

Archie was great... the offensive line was non-existent during most of his career in New Orleans.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom