Saints All Disappointment Team (2 Viewers)

We certainly overpaid for him, but I don't know that you could call him a bust. In his 3 years here he averaged about 1000 yds/season (800+, 1000+, 1200+). He gained over 1800 yds in his next year with Miami.

He had problems and issues, but he performed.

Well, he was supposed to be the 2nd coming of Earl Campbell/Walter Payton so he was doomed to be a disappointment no matter what. That said, I'm just glad we got decent value for him when we traded with Miami.

You're picking for a fight with that Archie Manning stuff, aren't you? :scorn:

Archie was great... the offensive line was non-existent during most of his career in New Orleans.

Amen. Archie played for the worst run organization in football. If he and Roger Staubach had traded places, no one would know who Staubach was....and Archie would be part of the fabric in Dallas. When comparing his career to Archie's, Roger once said, "Luck and geography. I played for the Cowboys and Archie played for the Saints. In other words, I got lucky. Archie didn’t.”

Here's an article/interview with Staubach from 2016 that goes in to great detail about their careers.

Any list that doesn't include Jonathon Sullivan is just off. He just has to be the all time most disappointing Saint of all time. From there, I'm thinking of only fresh names like Spiller, Byrd, Fleener, etc.

Any list that doesn't include Jonathon Sullivan is just off. He just has to be the all time most disappointing Saint of all time. From there, I'm thinking of only fresh names like Spiller, Byrd, Fleener, etc.
He's the first name that comes to mind for me when this subject is brought up. The acquisition cost for Sullivan (two mid first round picks, to move up to #6) is a hangover that has people worrying about Davenport today. It's one thing for a 1st rounder to bust, it's another to give up a lot to get him, and then he busts. I'm not saying Davenport will be a bust, but fans will compare the two until Davenport gives them reason not to.

Jason David

It was statistically worse to have him guard a receiver than leave them open

Not many players from 2006 to present are worthy of the all-disappointment team...he is an exception

Amen. Archie played for the worst run organization in football. If he and Roger Staubach had traded places, no one would know who Staubach was....and Archie would be part of the fabric in Dallas. When comparing his career to Archie's, Roger once said, "Luck and geography. I played for the Cowboys and Archie played for the Saints. In other words, I got lucky. Archie didn’t.”

Here's an article/interview with Staubach from 2016 that goes in to great detail about their careers.

:9: Archie's detractors as well as the people that point to his stats should read that.

Off the top of my head...

QB - Brooks - Was electric that first few games but plateaued and just fell off a cliff at the end.
RB - CJ Spiller - Was supposed to be Bush-like. More like Bust-like.
FB - Brad Muster - Dude was good with the Bears - not so much here.
WR - Michael Haynes - Saint killer in Atlanta. Saint killer with New Orleans.
WR - Adrian Arrington - I really thought this dude was going to be a star...
TE - Boo Williams - Flashed big time. Crashed about the same time Brooks did.
C- Olin Kreutz - Dude sucked and attacked Brees...Enough said
OL - Jamaal Brown - Bad knees...
OL - Charles Brown - Great athleticism. No heart.
OL- Chris Naeole- Such a reach
OL - Turley - was really great to start and then went psycho

DE - Alex Brown - Was supposed to be a nice compliment to Smith. Nope
DE - Galette - What a precipitous fall
LB - Lofton - Buncha empty tackle stats
LB - David Hawthorne - Always hurt, never lived up to contract
LB - Bockwoldt, Hodge, Grant, Watson, Allen - basically every LB Haslett drafted
S- That guy from NE I forget his name.
S- Byrd
CB- Lewis - Again, great at first but disappointing fall.
CB - Breaux - See Lewis.
K - Olindo Mare - Was terrible.
P - I can't really think of one.
Turley doesn't belong on this list, he could actually play.

The only bad thing about Russell Erxleben was that he was a first round pick. He was far from a bust

Ah yes... QB Heath Shuler from Tennessee. He played QB for the Redskins for several seasons before going to the Saints.

The Shuler-led Saints, in the first four games of the season (I don't remember exactly which season it was), had more turnovers than any other team in the history of the NFL for the first 4 games of a season. I believe that record still stands.

Shuler, after his NFL career, got himself elected to the House of Representatives from North Carolina.

If you're talking about the difference between expectations and results, I'd have to put Reggie Bush and Brandon Cooks up there. They were worthy of the first round but they were not worthy of the hype.

Completely disagree on Bush. Bush was exactly what the team needed. Both the team, and the city were in a pretty bad place. The drafting of Bush instantly brought a something to the team and the city. Remember, Bush also scared the heck out of defenses tot he point it helped Brees and everyone have an opportunity to grow and learn. Bush went back for a punt it was exciting. Entire defenses followed Bush in routes. His production on the field may not have been worth it in isolation, but when taken whole package, Bush was worth every bit of it.

Completely disagree on Bush. Bush was exactly what the team needed. Both the team, and the city were in a pretty bad place. The drafting of Bush instantly brought a something to the team and the city. Remember, Bush also scared the heck out of defenses tot he point it helped Brees and everyone have an opportunity to grow and learn. Bush went back for a punt it was exciting. Entire defenses followed Bush in routes. His production on the field may not have been worth it in isolation, but when taken whole package, Bush was worth every bit of it.
Perspective. Sproles did it better and was a 4th round talent.

Trade Disappointment Steve Walsh at the QB slot.
Draft Disappointment Shawn Knight was the ultimate in draft busts. Sullivan a close second.
Quick yippeeee, then immediate disappointment- Dez Bryant
Free agent got paid then disappointed - Jairus Byrd

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom