Saints All Disappointment Team (2 Viewers)

It took way too long to get Dale Carter on a list. Didnt they have his brother on the team to try and keep his drinking under control???

Saint_Drago..... you should be banned on multiple levels....

1. your blowing my who dat preseason training camp superbowl buzz
2. how did you not immediately think of Cam Cleeland
3. my favorite draft pick Josh Lay instead of Colston...
4. your safety selections didnt include Josh Bullocks, Tebucky Jones or Jairus Byrd.

jk good thread bro.. the fact that my son (who is 13) knows almost none of these names brings such joy to my heart...

Fred McAfee
source.gif

Disappointment correlates with investment. Investment is increased based on high draft choice, trade capital, or high free agent contract. Mid round picks that are busts are not disappointments also careers derailed by injury diminish disappointment. That being said here is my list.

QB - Steve Walsh - Saints traded a 1 and 3 in 1991 and a 2 in 1992 for Dallas' backup to Troy Aikman that was never going to play. Dallas got Alvin Harper 12th overall and Erik Williams in the 3rd who was a starting OT. In 1992 they drafted Darren Woodson a starting Safety. They went on to win three superbowls with this type of depth. The Walsh trade was a result of Bobby Hebert's holdout due to Finks' arrogance that wrecked the early 1990s success and defense after Finks's went with one game wonder Shaw-graduate John Fourcade. Walsh was mediocre and gone by 1994.

RB - CJ Spiller - Signed for four years $18 million with $9 million guaranteed in 2015 made one play to beat the Cowboys in OT and that's about it. Spiller never started and was inactive and gone by 2016.

FB Ray Zellers - a Fullback as a second round pick is a huge investment by NFL standards. Zellers had a mediocre four year career. Not horrible but based on the investment a disappointment.

WR - Michael Haynes signed for four years and $10 million in 1994 which was a huge WR deal. Haynes beat the Saints in the playoffs with Atlanta and the New Orleans native was cut by Ditka in 1997. When Ditka cuts you and Andre Hastings and Randal Hill beat you out well...

WR - Linday Scott drafted 13th overall in 1982 and had 1 career touchdown reception and 69 receptions in a four year career.

TE - Cam Cleeland drafted in the 2nd round and beat up by Andre Royal with a sock full of quarters. Cleeland was always injured and drafted earlier in the same round as New Orleans native and pro bowler CB Patrick Surtain four picks later.

OT - Charles Brown drafted in the 2nd round in 2010 riding the pine then playing 14 mediocre games in his fourth year and then cut.

OT - Tootie Robbins top free agent in 1993 and never saw the field because we drafted hall of famer Willie Roaf.

G - Chris Naeole - Ditka had the 2nd overall pick in the draft and turned it into drafting Naeole and Jared Tomich, Darryl Hobbs at WR and I think Keith Poole. Naeole had a decent career after being injured his rookie year starting four seasons then moving on to Jacksonville. But this disappointment is really about having the 2nd overall pick in the 1997 draft and trading down to 10th overall. In between CB Shawn Springs and hall of fame OT Walter Jones was drafted 6th overall. Hall of famer Tony Gonzalez was drafted 13th. I remember some people had Naeole rated as a third round pick.

G - Wally Williams signed as the highest paid guard of all time with a five year $18.5 million deal with a $7 million bonus in 1999. Hurt in his first season, mediocre, and gone.

DE - Shawn Knight - drafted 11th overall in 1987, played in 10 games doing nothing (he literally never recorded a tackle) and was traded one year later.

DT - Jonathon Sullivan the Saints had the 17th and 18th overall picks and traded up to number 6 in 2003. Signed to a $19 million rookie contract. Saints at 6 passed on Jordan Gross, Kevin Williams, Terrell Suggs, Marcus Trufant, and Troy Palamalu. Sullivan like pot and cheeseburgers and was jettisoned to the Patriots for nothing.

DT - Grady Jackson- we did not sign Laroi Glover in favor of Haslett emulating the Ravens Sam Adams and Tony Seragusa's "heavy lunch bunch" using his magic professional linebacker powers of pretending Courtney Watson could be Ray Lewis. Glover was an all time great in the mold of John Randle. Grady Jackson got injured on a horrid defense.

DE - Junior Galette - signed to a four year $41.5 million extension in 2014 after breaking out as an undrafted free agent. Galette beat women with a belt and became a head case the team released him for nothing to get his toxicity out of the locker room.

LB - Stephone Anthony - a first rounder from the Jimmy Graham trade that did nothing.

LB - Courtney Watson - a 2nd rounder who played two years in Haslett's horrendous defense. See Grady Jackson.

LB - Andre Royal - signed as a top free agent and was replaced by Keith Mitchell. See Cam Cleeland's eyeball.

CB - Jason David signed for a big deal from the Colts only to realize he is still short and repeatedly burned all season first up by the Colts. He was a walking PI call.

CB - Stanley Jean Baptiste a second round pick who never played in the Saints attempting to emulate Seahawks corner Richard Sherman. See Grady Jackson.

FS - Jairus Byrd - signed to the top contract of free agency at $56 million and led to us letting Malcolm Jenkins walk in 2014. Byrd was overrated, hurt, and and released in 2017. Byrd totaled 3 interceptions in three years.

SS - Rob Kelly a pathetic hurt Ditka second round draft pick over drafted who did nothing.

K /P - Russell Erxleben drafted 11th overall as a dual special teams threat over Kellen Winslow two picks later.

You're picking for a fight with that Archie Manning stuff, aren't you? :scorn:

Archie was great... the offensive line was non-existent during most of his career in New Orleans.
Okay Dwight, I know you're the boss. And I respect you & all of the posters who are disagreeing with me right now. I understand what Archie went thru in his life. And I understand that he had to deal with some very traumatic situations as a young man. And I understand that he is a great businessman & hasn't ever been a bad citizen, for which I tip my hat & say thank you. But out of every single soul of you who has cast a stone at me for stabbing your beloved totem pole in the eye with a rusty object. None has manged to step forward with a single piece of history which proves me wrong. And to top that off, the raiders were a bunch of women chasing, whiskey drinking, cigarette puffing, on the sidelines no less, old goats ready to be put out of their misery by a young defense which had given their offense 21 points in that game.

And in the 1st half the offense had no problem taking advantage of the gifts given to them. But Archie who was not only QB, but also called ALL of the plays making HIM ipso facto default offensive coordinator, with one of the best casts of skill position talent ever assembled in the history of football managed how much offense & how many first downs in that 2nd half? It was ALL his fault. Why? Because in playing to not be blamed for losing, you will never be a winner. The editors wiped all the do nothing parts of that game away.

That's why Manning Mr. Savior was only shown on like three plays of that game. He had as many chances as you could get & a coach who knew darn well, he wasn't going to question Manning. And what did he do? NOTHING! I don't mind people disagreeing with me. But before you say I'm just fulfilling an agenda, go back & look at reality. The Saints were in position to write a new history. But the only history that was written was pure unadulterated failure in the 1st degree. And the undisputed author of that history was Archie manning.

Last edited:
Okay Dwight, I know you're the boss. And I respect you & all of the posters who are disagreeing with me right now. I understand what Archie went thru in his life. And I understand that he had to deal with some very traumatic situations as a young man. And I understand that he is a great businessman & hasn't ever been a bad citizen, for which I tip my hat & say thank you. But out of every single soul of you who has cast a stone at me for stabbing your beloved totem pole in the eye with a rusty object. None has manged to step forward with a single piece of history which proves me wrong. And to top that off, the raiders were a bunch of women chasing, whiskey drinking, cigarette puffing, on the sidelines no less, old goats ready to be put out of their misery by a young defense which had given their offense 21 points in that game.

And in the 1st half the offense had no problem taking advantage of the gifts given to them. But Archie who was not only QB, but also called ALL of the plays making HIM ipso facto default offensive coordinator, with one of the best casts of skill position talent ever assembled in the history of football managed how much offense & how many first downs in that 2nd half? It was ALL his fault. Why? Because in playing to not be blamed for losing, you will never be a winner. The editors wiped all the do nothing parts of that game away.

That's why Manning Mr. Savior was only shown on like three plays of that game. He had as many chances as you could get & a coach who knew darn well, he wasn't going to question Manning. And what did he do? NOTHING! I don't mind people disagreeing with me. But before you say I'm just fulfilling an agenda, go back & look at reality. The Saints were in position to write a new history. But the only history that was written was pure unadulterated failure in the 1st degree. And the undisputed author of that history was Archie manning.

Archie Manning is the only player in NFL history to be voted Conference Player of the Year... while playing on a team with a LOSING record. Archie never had a defense to back him up, and many years he had a sub-par offensive line. Yet, he never complained, and made us proud.

Archie left it all on the field each and every game.

:gosaints:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom