Saints All Disappointment Team (1 Viewer)

I don't know how Ricky Williams isn't the RB. Sure he wasn't bad, but given what we gave up to draft him and what he was supposed to be...

Mark Fields registered 40 tackles as a rookie and then went... 107, 108, 109, 81, 84 to close out his Saints career.

Just imagine how many he would've had if he would've learned to stop overrunning plays.

This thread has brought up so many names that I haven't thought of in years. Like Dale Carter. I can remember the hype around Dale Carter. All I kept hearing was Dale Carter this, Dale Carter that.

Looking back it's hard to see what all of the hoopla was about. Carter was one season removed from a year long suspension for substance abuse and he was 33 years old by the time he made it to the Saints.

Dale Carter is the perfect example of how desperate we were as a fan base back then. We would cling to any hope that happened to drift our way. After Haslett won that first playoff game it seemed like we might've turned the corner as a franchise. We had a QB, we had Deuce, and Joe Horn. We had some dudes on defense but we needed a Corner. So we brought in guys like Kevin Mathis and Dale Carter and were disappointed when they turned out to be not great.

Aside from the current situation for him, Sharper is one of our better acquisitions. He should have been defensive MVP our Super Bowl year. He had 8 or 9 picks and returned half of them for TD's. He was a ballhawk that year.

Yeah, I can't put aside the "current situation" for him. He was a something that won't get through SR's profanity filter.

With the inexplicable signing of Stephone Anthony by the Jets, it has me thinking about other Saints draft disappointments. Anthony had everything you'd look for in a LBer except for the ability to play football. We've drafted so many players like that. I think our All Disappointment team could compete with any other All Disappointment team in the league. Here's the defense I've come up with. I'm running a 3-4 because we are stacked at LBer. This is just going back to when I started following the draft back in the Ditka error/era.

DE - Jared Tomich
DT - Johnathan Sullivan
DE - Martez Wilson

OLB - Cie Grant
ILB - Stephone Anthony
ILB - Courtney Watson
OLB - Sedrick Hodge

CB - Stanley Jean- Baptiste
CB - Johnny Patrick

FS - Rob Kelly
SS - Chip Vaughn

Drago - great list and fun topic. Thx for the post. BUT - you seemed to ignore the elephant in the living room. Not landing Tommy Parsons from LSU is the biggest disappointment in Saints history. We would have had our all-star TE for a decade. lol

Drago - great list and fun topic. Thx for the post. BUT - you seemed to ignore the elephant in the living room. Not landing Tommy Parsons from LSU is the biggest disappointment in Saints history. We would have had our all-star TE for a decade. lol

Thanks Swim. I'm not familiar with Tommy Parsons. I see his name a lot around here but I guess it's an inside joke I'm not privy to.

Ah yes... QB Heath Shuler from Tennessee. He played QB for the Redskins for several seasons before going to the Saints.

The Shuler-led Saints, in the first four games of the season (I don't remember exactly which season it was), had more turnovers than any other team in the history of the NFL for the first 4 games of a season. I believe that record still stands.

Shuler, after his NFL career, got himself elected to the House of Representatives from North Carolina.

I was amazed that he got drafted period to be honest. He was a great college QB but never learned to read a defense. He succeeded at the college level on athleticism alone. Nice guy though.

Got another frowny face. I guess it's time for me to lighten up on Manning. So, all you guys that gave me the BIG thumbs down for calling it like it was & not presenting any hard facts to prove otherwise, I resign from this thread & leave you all with Archie's crowning accomplishment.

Bryd, Jason David, Nick Toon, and Saints Brass for not signing Aaron Foster.

Last edited:
I remember being excited about bringing in Derrick Rodgers from Miami. He was ok and I don't know what I was expecting, I was just desperate for LBers. For years we'd pick up guys like Rodgers and Orlando Ruff and it never worked out.

Another disappointment was a player who never played a down for the Saints, Donnie Edwards. For some reason it seems like Donnie Edwards was always being linked to the Saints in trade talks and free agency.

Thanks Swim. I'm not familiar with Tommy Parsons. I see his name a lot around here but I guess it's an inside joke I'm not privy to.

Lol. Tommy worked out with Pete Rivas for the Combine and college day trials. 6'6", 265, 4.7 forty and 100% muscle. He just didnt have the football IQ. but it was a thrill to workout alongside him daily. I made him my pet Saint project to no avail.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom