Saints Alumni Media Call: LeCharles Bentley talks his O-Line Academy, Teammates, and MRSA | New Orleans Saints - SaintsReport.com

Saints Alumni Media Call: LeCharles Bentley talks his O-Line Academy, Teammates, and MRSA (1 Viewer)

Currently reading:
Saints Alumni Media Call: LeCharles Bentley talks his O-Line Academy, Teammates, and MRSA (1 Viewer)

DCSaints_Fan

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Really sucks that he left - I can't remember if he was just a cap casualty in 2006 or was there another issue like Payton didn't like him.

Can you imagine how crazy that O-line would have been with Evans, Bentley and Nicks. I guess one would have had to play center of shift over to tackle. We might have won another Superbowl in 2011.

Brad01

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Really sucks that he left - I can't remember if he was just a cap casualty in 2006 or was there another issue like Payton didn't like him.

Can you imagine how crazy that O-line would have been with Evans, Bentley and Nicks. I guess one would have had to play center of shift over to tackle. We might have won another Superbowl in 2011.

I think he just always wanted to play for Cleveland, which is where he was from. Unfortunately for him he ended up suffering what would be a career ending injury on the first snap of training camp in his first season there.

But since he went there, their center Jeff Faine was available in a trade during the draft. So it worked out for the Saints anyway.

DCSaints_Fan

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I think he just always wanted to play for Cleveland, which is where he was from. Unfortunately for him he ended up suffering what would be a career ending injury on the first snap of training camp in his first season there.

But since he went there, their center Jeff Faine was available in a trade during the draft. So it worked out for the Saints anyway.

Could be the case, according to Wikipedia he apparently he had a "verbal agreement" with Philly, although he could have been using them to leverage an offer from Cleveland.

Also it appears leaving the Saints didn't seem to have much to do with Payton, more disliking the entire organization. And since he was an FA, it was easy to bolt.

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score

He was considered the best C in the country at Ohio St. He really wanted to play C, so yes, him with Nicks and Evans would have been insane....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest SaintsReport Originals

Utopia Draft: The Saints' Ideal (Realistic) Scenario
By Dan Levy - posted 4/28/2022

Sea Change: Taysom Hill's "New" Role and What it Means for the Saints
By Dan Levy - posted 4/06/2022

Q&A: AMA (Ask Me Anything) with Dan Levy
5/8/22 | 4/20/22

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines