Saints among 6 teams who’ve connected with Jordan Love (1 Viewer)

I don't really like Jordan Love that much. Not every really fast QB is Lamar Jackson and not every mobile QB with a big arm is Patrick Mahomes. Mahomes threw for 5,000 yards and 4,700 yards in a tough conference. Love barely broke 3,500 yards in a bad conference. His decision making is questionable and he's not overly accurate. Mahomes was much more polished coming out of Texas Tech. He was accurate, effective, had all the throws, etc. The yellow flags on him were that he never took a snap from under center at TTU, and he had some odd mechanics both footwork and throwing motion wise. Love's questions marks are much bigger and more critical than Mahomes'.

I'll admit to only having seen a few games of his, I'm not a scout. But I'm skeptical.

Our situation is a little different than the Chiefs pre-Mahomes; they were a very good team but it was apparent their ceiling was less than legit Super Bowl contender. I believe we're better than that and thus can't really afford to use the 1st round pick in a way that doesn't improve the team for this season. Only way I see it happening is if falls to the mid-to-late 1st round and we trade for an additional 1st round pick, which seems extremely unlikely.

I don't really like Jordan Love that much. Not every really fast QB is Lamar Jackson and not every mobile QB with a big arm is Patrick Mahomes. Mahomes threw for 5,000 yards and 4,700 yards in a tough conference. Love barely broke 3,500 yards in a bad conference. His decision making is questionable and he's not overly accurate. Mahomes was much more polished coming out of Texas Tech. He was accurate, effective, had all the throws, etc. The yellow flags on him were that he never took a snap from under center at TTU, and he had some odd mechanics both footwork and throwing motion wise. Love's questions marks are much bigger and more critical than Mahomes'.

I'll admit to only having seen a few games of his, I'm not a scout. But I'm skeptical.

To be fair Mahomes was in a pass happy offense surrounded by very talented WR's (sort of similar to now). Jordan Love was putting up respectable numbers with average talent around him. He took Boise St and Michigan St to the limit the one season he had a decent supporting cast. He is pretty accurate throwing for 60% completion rate during his two full seasons starting QB. He's high risk and high reward. The coin could turn either way.

Last edited:
Sean likes him. I’ve been saying this for a couple months. Then again, the Saints see all of the top four quarterbacks favorably. But here is the reality: they think highly of other players at other positions too. Could I see them taking Love? Yes, absolutely. Could I see them going in a different direction? Sure. Personally, I continue to think it’ll be a QB, WR, or maybe a LB barring a higher-graded unexpectedly falling.

Our situation is a little different than the Chiefs pre-Mahomes; they were a very good team but it was apparent their ceiling was less than legit Super Bowl contender. I believe we're better than that and thus can't really afford to use the 1st round pick in a way that doesn't improve the team for this season. Only way I see it happening is if falls to the mid-to-late 1st round and we trade for an additional 1st round pick, which seems extremely unlikely.
This right here, 100% agree with you. Every move the Saints have made this off-season has been to extend this 'Win Now' Window for another two years at the least.

Drafting Jordan Love in the First Round especially in a year we Do not have a Second rounder would go against that mentality, as he clearly needs more refinement and coaching and would probably not even see the Field in Year 1 (Unless something went terribly wrong).

You would pretty much be saying this roster is good "As is' and we don't need that First round Draft pick to contribute to win a Championship this year... when I would argue the team still needs an Impact, athletic MIKE/SAM to back-up oft injured Anzalone, and to possibly replace Klein's snaps; or a back-up Lengthy Boundary Corner to back-up Shon, Jack-Rabbit.

I would even say drafting one of these supremely talented 1st round receivers to groom to take over for Sanders role eventually while contributing in a limited role, or an Interior Linemen with Warford's contract expiring would be the better plays for this Draft.. when the team already went all in with Drew/Taysom for 2020.

In my eyes those moves help the team more towards the Goal of a Championship in 2020 than taking a 3rd QB who will sit and hold a clipboard for possibly 2 years before we even see what he becomes...

I should add that the Saints have not set their final draft board. They could tell you exactly what they would do if the draft was held today but things are fluid.

That said, Saints could have signed a backup QB and still could do so. But they are wisely waiting to see what comes of the draft. And for the record, it is easy to name Taysom the backup if you draft a rookie. Would Taysom be the automatic #2 if you brought in Cam or Jameis? They would not bring in those guys but the point here is that Taysom is the #2 today if you intend to draft a rookie (even if it is Herbert or Tua or Love) or bring in a journeyman QB after the draft.

This right here, 100% agree with you. Every move the Saints have made this off-season has been to extend this 'Win Now' Window for another two years at the least.

Drafting Jordan Love in the First Round especially in a year we Do not have a Second rounder would go against that mentality, as he clearly needs more refinement and coaching and would probably not even see the Field in Year 1 (Unless something went terribly wrong).

You would pretty much be saying this roster is good "As is' and we don't need that First round Draft pick to contribute to win a Championship this year... when I would argue the team still needs an Impact, athletic MIKE/SAM to back-up oft injured Anzalone, and to possibly replace Klein's snaps; or a back-up Lengthy Boundary Corner to back-up Shon, Jack-Rabbit.

I would even say drafting one of these supremely talented 1st round receivers to groom to take over for Sanders role eventually while contributing in a limited role, or an Interior Linemen with Warford's contract expiring would be the better plays for this Draft.. when the team already went all in with Drew/Taysom for 2020.

In my eyes those moves help the team more towards the Goal of a Championship in 2020 than taking a 3rd QB who will sit and hold a clipboard for possibly 2 years before we even see what he becomes...

Very good points.

I agree on the question marks. But I also think the answers are a lot more understandable when you look at the situation he was in. Pretty similar numbers to Josh Allen, who has done pretty well in Buffalo (though I think Allen is a better runner but not as accurate a passer).

Ive watched a lot of Love. He makes some plays/throws that make you think he could be a top-3 QB in the NFL. Then he will make a poor decision that erases it all. Similar to Herbert in that respect. But if you pair him with the right coach (like I’m hoping SP), he could be special.

17INTs thrown by him last year, thats all you need to know.

That's completely false, and possibly the most uneducated thing I've read in a while. Did you just look up his stats and assume he's bad? Did you take a look at the season before the one you're referring to?

Love was playing on a offense that would pretty closely resemble the Saints WR room without Thomas. And his coach was definitely no SP. He isn't the best QB in the draft by any stretch of the word, but stats absolutely don't tell the full story here.

I think he’ll be drafted well before our R1 pick. I think New England moves up 5-10 spots to grab him.

That's completely false, and possibly the most uneducated thing I've read in a while. Did you just look up his stats and assume he's bad? Did you take a look at the season before the one you're referring to?

Love was playing on a offense that would pretty closely resemble the Saints WR room without Thomas. And his coach was definitely no SP. He isn't the best QB in the draft by any stretch of the word, but stats absolutely don't tell the full story here.

Yep, already knew that before I posted it. Very well versed in the season he had prior to that, but MENTALLY you just don't get over throwing for that many INTs and come back unscathed. It doesn't matter that he had bad players around him, its still to many ints. This is the same reason Jamis Winston is on the street, big arm, and can put up number (5100yd passing), but his confidence is shot.

You talk like we got 1st dibs at the buffet line. The draft has 31 other teams positioning for talent. It doesn't work that way. You don't make win now moves in the draft. It's basically an oxymoron. You don't draft young guys to win now. If wanted to win now... We trade that pick for an established player. Drafting is all about building for the future. We are 24th on the table. This team is very methodical when comes to drafting... It's either go after a coveted player that fits or BPA.

The linebacker crop is probably gonna get wiped out. There is a strong likelihood that BPA is gonna be a WR/OL unless we are coveting a player higher on the board.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom