Saints among 6 teams who’ve connected with Jordan Love (1 Viewer)

More like the next Marcus Mariota.

From the lack of pro-style footwork to the heavy shotgun offense, to spotty decision-making and inaccuracy he definitely looks like a deadringer for Mariota out of Oregon.

Takes more than a big arm and great physique to play qb in the pros.

Win now mode with no 2nd round pick means picking a QB in the first round is a wasted pick. 1st round needs to be a player that contributes this year.

And yet we’re still “connected” to him. BPA is BPA
More like the next Marcus Mariota.

From the lack of pro-style footwork to the heavy shotgun offense, to spotty decision-making and inaccuracy he definitely looks like a deadringer for Mariota out of Oregon.

Takes more than a big arm and great physique to play qb in the pros.

U still have yet to explain how Eason is a better option but ok

And yet we’re still “connected” to him. BPA is BPA

U still have yet to explain how Eason is a better option but ok
Eason:

1) just as strong of an arm
2) already adept at pro-style passing and overall drop back footwork and mechanics
3) better at making progressions
4) better at executing plays outside the pocket with accuracy and touch. Better overall delivery.

Just a hands down better player.

I'd even take Gordon over Love, honestly, and for many of the same reasons.

Jake Luton and Brian Lewerke are also better options for a timing based system that relies on great foot work and a quick release.

I really also like Mason Fine but he will likely go late or UDFA because of his measurables.

However, a closer look detects further inconsistencies even during Love's sophomore season of 2018 when he posted four games with passing grades below 60.0 against New Mexico (46.6), Wyoming (47.3), Colorado State (58.5) and Boise State (54.5). Among the top 10 quarterbacks in the 2020 draft class, Love ranked seventh with a 48.4 passing grade when facing pressure, and his -0.490 EPA per pass play when under pressure ranked ninth among that same group.

Exactly...Love had zero supporting cast & a HC who had no idea how to adjust & play to the strengths if his roster. Utah St also had a crap D that put Love in shoot outs & forced him to play a ton of “hero ball” in nearly every single game in 19. He was basically the entire offense & had to put the weight of his team on His shoulders. Unfortunately, his play suffered & his game appeared to fall off. That being said, he still ended the year w/a winning record & got Utah St to a Bowl game. I think Love would be well worth a blockbuster trade up scenario.

Really good points. From 2018 to 2019, Utah State lost 9 of it's 11 starters on offense. Jordan was playing on a terrible offense with by and large, young, sub standard players. It was chaos for Love last year. WRs didn't run correct routes, O-linemen missed blocks on pass protection. Love was running for his life on many plays. Payton Manning could not have done much better with that Utah St offense last year.

Now the question is, "Did this team offensive weakness cover up some of Jordan's weaknesses or could he have excelled with better offensive teammates?"

If you draft Love, you lose Taysom Hill. The question is do you think Coach Payton's praise of Taysom Hill as "the next quarterback is in the building", "Hill is our number two", "Taysom has earned the chance to play quarterback", and the fact the Saints placed a first round tender on their third string quarterback they picked up on rookie waivers is all legitimate. This to me is the Pierre Thomas test. Payton cut Antonio Pittman a fourth round draft pick to keep Thomas who out performed him. Payton awards playing time based on performance not original draft position. We saw this in Thomas, Colston, Moore, and Strief, To me the due diligence on Jordan Love is what if another team signs Hill to a poison pill contract and we cannot match it, we have lost Bridgewater, so we then become a player for a first round quarterback. I do not see the Saints drafting Love if Hill signs his tender. Quarterbacks have a different pay grade as every other position. There is a reason Peter King and others did feature interviews discussing our third string quarterback. It is because Taysom Hill passes the eyeball on the field test. Hill can be a running quarterback who has had tutelage to develop under a hall of fame QB and coach. I think the cap room we have preserved is all about Taysom Hill and making sure we avoid a poison pill situation of a front loaded cap contract that we cannot match on Hill. Ideally the Saints sign Hill now to a multi-year deal leveraging the injury risk of how we use Hill this year. If Hill quits playing special teams in 2020, that will tell you most of what you need to know about how Payton sees as his future QB.

If you draft Love, you lose Taysom Hill. The question is do you think Coach Payton's praise of Taysom Hill as "the next quarterback is in the building", "Hill is our number two", "Taysom has earned the chance to play quarterback", and the fact the Saints placed a first round tender on their third string quarterback they picked up on rookie waivers is all legitimate. This to me is the Pierre Thomas test. Payton cut Antonio Pittman a fourth round draft pick to keep Thomas who out performed him. Payton awards playing time based on performance not original draft position. We saw this in Thomas, Colston, Moore, and Strief, To me the due diligence on Jordan Love is what if another team signs Hill to a poison pill contract and we cannot match it, we have lost Bridgewater, so we then become a player for a first round quarterback. I do not see the Saints drafting Love if Hill signs his tender. Quarterbacks have a different pay grade as every other position. There is a reason Peter King and others did feature interviews discussing our third string quarterback. It is because Taysom Hill passes the eyeball on the field test. Hill can be a running quarterback who has had tutelage to develop under a hall of fame QB and coach. I think the cap room we have preserved is all about Taysom Hill and making sure we avoid a poison pill situation of a front loaded cap contract that we cannot match on Hill. Ideally the Saints sign Hill now to a multi-year deal leveraging the injury risk of how we use Hill this year. If Hill quits playing special teams in 2020, that will tell you most of what you need to know about how Payton sees as his future QB.
I believe someone posted an interview from SP that says his role will be the same and they plan to bring in a 3rd QB just in case. With the rookie wage scale we can bring someone in relatively cheap for up to 5 years (if he's a 1st round guy). I admit I'm a TH skeptic when it comes to being a traditional QB, he has not passed that test as of yet. I don't see another team giving him a poison pill contract as a joker.

If the “draft experts” are correct, we may have to move into the top 10 to get Love. McShay has him going 6th in his recent mock draft. That feels high but top 10 maybe a possibility.

If the “draft experts” are correct, we may have to move into the top 10 to get Love. McShay has him going 6th in his recent mock draft. That feels high but top 10 maybe a possibility.
I'm a world class cynic of course, but I always suspect that these 'fast rising prospects' that come from the end of round one or later into the top end of mock drafts has much more to do with draft experts having to supply something new to their editors, than it does with actual changes to the grades scouts have been building on these guys for the best part of 2 years.

You all do realize, s Payton interviews almost all the qb talent that is expected to go high, one to put a book together for when we inevitably have to face them. Also, to have knowledge of them for if they get released.

He does it every year.

I seriously hope that we will not draft a QB with the 1st round pick, we could easily wait next year to do that.
Drafting the best LB or pass rusher available should be the priority imo.

Win now mode with no 2nd round pick means picking a QB in the first round is a wasted pick. 1st round needs to be a player that contributes this year.
If our ability to win-now is compromised by whatever rookie we draft in the 1st round, then we were never going anywhere to begin with.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom