Saints and Carr deal released $150M over 4 years $100M fully guaranteed (2 Viewers)

DA wants a conservative offense

How do we know this? It wasn't conservatives to start the season with Winston. And I don't think DA goes after Carr or goes after receivers like Olave and Saheed if that's the case. I think we see more of the 2012 PC offense with Carr because Carr is capable of running that offense and the Saints have the receivers to run that now.

How do we know this? It wasn't conservatives to start the season with Winston. And I don't think DA goes after Carr or goes after receivers like Olave and Saheed if that's the case. I think we see more of the 2012 PC offense with Carr because Carr is capable of running that offense and the Saints have the receivers to run that now.

Our offense was conservative because our QBs couldn't be trusted, or were physically incapable of making big risk plays... or both.

I just searched to find the oldest threads and unfortunately it only goes back to October of 2006. I did find this one and thought it was kind of funny. Poster name removed to protect the innocent:

"At first I wasn't impressed with the pick up of Brees, even though he has had success in San Diego. I was hoping we would go after one of the young QB's so we would be set at that position for years to come. Even when we got Drew, I was still hoping we would get one of the QB's in this draft and they could learn behind Brees. One of my concerns was Drew's height, and as we all have seen, he has a lot of balls batted down at the line. I never knew about his leadership qualities until he arrived and then in pre season I was like, ok he talks the talk but so far he isn't backing it up. Now when the season opened in Cleveland, it was the first extended playing time for Drew and that is when I saw him start taking charge of the team and saw some of his ability. I still think we need to draft a young QB to groom but I have no wish to replace Drew for the forseeable future. A classy guy, a class act, a true leader, and a very smart and talented football player. We definately got lucky getting Drew Brees."

Sounds a lot like what people are saying today. Everyone always wants the new shiny play things. "We need a younger QB that will be set at the position for years!!! not this old 27 year old worn down Drew Brees!!!" pahahahahhahaha. I'd say 15 years is pretty "set at that position" .

Mind you this post was made on October 27th, 2006. We are sitting at 5-1 with a 27 year old Drew Brees and this guy was still talking about needing to "find a young QB to groom" :hihi:
Feel free to pull my posts from that era. I was all in on Brees even before he was mentioned as a free agent in New Orleans. Comparing a 25 year old, multi year pro bowler that is just putting it together with a guy in his 30's that has always struggled to find ways to win are two different things. Plus Vince Young and ML were really obvious bust candidates. I actually liked Jay Cutler the best of that class but not hardly as much as I wanted Brees. That move made so much sense on so many levels. The team also wasn't strapped for cash, didn't have a ton of dead money and wasn't the 2nd oldest team in the league.

The red zone issue actually goes back to Gruden. The Raiders have been one of the worst teams in the NFL in the red zone for some time and from what I'm seeing, it's a combination of conservative playcalling (think Saints 2022) and bad throws/decisions. I've just seen some plays that remind me of that crap that PC was calling last season.

And here is the catch 22:
Carr's individual stats improved with the conservative approach of Gruden but it also left a LOT of points on the field (again, think Saints 2022). DA wants a conservative offense and PC made sure to cook up one of the most stale offenses he can think of. There has to be changes and the red zone has to be a major point of emphasis.
I look for a big change in the O this yr. DC is great at pre-snap reads not as good as DB but not far behind. SP and PC would give Drew 2-3 plays and he would make that decision at the line. I expect PC to do the same thing with DC. Hopefully, that increases our team RZ efficiency

Did you watch last seasons games. How did Dalton and Carr look when they were matched up? Carr 15-25 101 yards 1 interception.
Dalton 22-30 229 yards 2 tds. Zero interceptions.
Final score 24-0
Throw out the last yr in terms of Carr. McDaniels did not let him do what he does best, ore-snap reads and changing the play at the line. Look at DC from 2016-2020 and you'll get a better idea. He came in 3rd in the MVP vote back then

Our offense was conservative because our QBs couldn't be trusted, or were physically incapable of making big risk plays... or both.

People forget that Payton was aggressive because he trusted his offense. And, when there were injuries and he didn't trust the offense, he was less aggressive. We're going to see a different team this year.

Feel free to pull my posts from that era. I was all in on Brees even before he was mentioned as a free agent in New Orleans. Comparing a 25 year old, multi year pro bowler that is just putting it together with a guy in his 30's that has always struggled to find ways to win are two different things. Plus Vince Young and ML were really obvious bust candidates. I actually liked Jay Cutler the best of that class but not hardly as much as I wanted Brees. That move made so much sense on so many levels. The team also wasn't strapped for cash, didn't have a ton of dead money and wasn't the 2nd oldest team in the league.
Drew had 1 probowl season in SD, he wasn't a multi probowler. However Carr is a multi probowl guy (4)

I wasn't trying to call anyone out. I just thought it was funny in retrospect that the poster was worried about "having a long term solution" and Brees ending up spending 15 years here and setting every major passing category record (before Brady played until he was 57).

Also wanting to draft a QB to sit behind a 27 year old Drew Brees is pretty funny to think about. Can you imagine what this board would have looked like in 2007 if we passed on Robert Meachem for Brady Quinn or Kevin Kolb to sit behind Brees for five years? :hihi:

Did you watch last seasons games. How did Dalton and Carr look when they were matched up? Carr 15-25 101 yards 1 interception.
Dalton 22-30 229 yards 2 tds. Zero interceptions.
Final score 24-0
Context matters. As others have said, it was a situation where the coach handcuffed Carr to a large degree. Did you not see the highlights where he actually made good and great plays? Physically, he's got everything a franchise QB needs. His most questionable trait is he doesn't do so well under pressure. If we can give him reasonable protection up front, he'll get a lot done.

The Dalton vs Carr comparisons are just silly. There's clearly no comparison. As an old friend used to say, watch more football.

Context matters. As others have said, it was a situation where the coach handcuffed Carr to a large degree. Did you not see the highlights where he actually made good and great plays? Physically, he's got everything a franchise QB needs. His most questionable trait is he doesn't do so well under pressure. If we can give him reasonable protection up front, he'll get a lot done.

The Dalton vs Carr comparisons are just silly. There's clearly no comparison. As an old friend used to say, watch more football.
That’s an opinion, fact is a qb desperate team benched Carr. Dalton didn’t play in an ideal situation either, bad coaching injured offensive players etc. we can make excuses and have opinions but look at his last season, he is comparable to Dalton. You watch more football. And btw Ryan Leaf had all the physical tools.

That’s an opinion, fact is a qb desperate team benched Carr. Dalton didn’t play in an ideal situation either, bad coaching injured offensive players etc. we can make excuses and have opinions but look at his last season, he is comparable to Dalton. You watch more football. And btw Ryan Leaf had all the physical tools.
Are you going to continue to overlook that he was benched to prevent injury and guaranteeing a huge payout. He wasn’t benched for performance reasons. And I think you know that.

If your coach doesn't trust you as a 9 year vet to make the calls on the field, how do you think that's going to go? I watched several Raiders games last season. And I've had Carr on my ffl teams multiple times in the past. I've seen enough of both to know comparing the two is an exercise in futility. But suit yourself. I'd bet that Carr will easily surpass 4k yards this season with this team barring injury. I mean, the guy is a 4x pro bowler who has never had a defense ranked above 20 in 9 years of being a pro. So yeah. :shrug:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom