Saints and Pats Likely Trade Partners? [War Room Report] (1 Viewer)

Conrad

Reaction score
http://warroomreport.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=275&Itemid=1

New England Patriots and New Orleans Saints
In the previous rumor mill edition the New England Patriots were a topic of possible trade speculation in regards to the possibility of them moving up in the draft in order to target Vernon Gholston, and while that remains a possibility, the Patriots may also consider moving down in the draft if the draft does play out in a certain fashion. If the Patriots either can not pull off a deal in order to jump ahead of the Jets or decide not to make a move on the trade, it would make sense for them to consider trade down options.
Derrick Harvey remains a possibility at pick #7, however most pundits feel that he is a better fit at the traditional 4-3 defensive end position, so his transition to a possible 3-4 defense is not a lock, nor would be anywhere near the smooth transition Vernon Gholston would make to the position, so the Patriots will likely pass on Harvey in favor of what many feel is possibly their largest area of need, and that is at the cornerback position. The combination of the facts that there are several top cornerback prospects in Leodis McKelvin, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Aqib Talib, and Mike Jenkins, and that following the 7<SUP>th</SUP> overall pick the Pats do not have another pick for 55 selections, adds up to a result that may merit a trade down. So what team may be looking to move up into the 7<SUP>th</SUP> spot? The New Orleans Saints. The Saints biggest need may be at the defensive tackle position, and considering the Saints made acquisitions the likes of Jonathan Vilma, Dan Morgan, and Randal Gay to help at the linebacker and defensive secondary allows them to possibly deal a 2<SUP>nd</SUP> round selection in order to move up and take a stud defensive tackle prospect in Sedrick Ellis out of USC. This proposed deal makes a ton of sense for both franchises and if the Saints are indeed willing to offer the 10<SUP>th</SUP> and 40<SUP>th</SUP> overall picks to move up to 7<SUP>th</SUP> pick I believe a deal will get done on draft day.

Not great but it is something

i dont wanna move up for anyone other than dorsey. ellis may be a good one, but dorsey will be great and there is too much talent available at need positions in the second for us to drop a 2nd in a trade without getting a player, ie shockey.

Good find. Thanks!

Seriously doubt we give up a 1 and 2 to get up to 7. The "new* trade value chart indicates we'd only have to give up the 1 and a 3 to get up there.

Makes sense indeed and that would be the best thing to happen to us on draft day.

EDIT -- Just noticed the article mentioned our 10th AND 40th pick. That's too steep.

Yes, it would take only a 1,3. But i doubt the Pats would accept just a 1,3. I think if we want to move and grab Ellis, then it will have to be a 1,2. The bengals have the same need. They might try to jump up with the Pats also. We need to make our trade proposal sexy. The Pats have 2 major needs. CB and LB. If you watch, the D line is the strength of their 3-4. That's opposite of how it's suppose to work. They needa CB obviously to replace Samuel and Gay. They could stay and grab a CB or move down, gain more picks, and then grab either McKelvin or DRC. Which seems like the better option to you? Of course trade down. But if they really want Gholston, then they will trade up and secure their rush LB need.

yeah, that seems like a rip off. We could get two starters with 1st and 2nd rounders. Ellis would be great but the price is too high.

I do not think it is worth giving up our 2nd rounder to move up 3 places! That almost sounds ridiculous to me. I would much rather get two new defensive players than one who is good but not phenomanal.

I think we should swap 1st and 2nd rounders with the Pats, then we would move up 3 spots in the first round and they would move up like 20 spots in the second, and the values are pretty much equal according to the chart.

I think we should swap 1st and 2nd rounders with the Pats, then we would move up 3 spots in the first round and they would move up like 20 spots in the second, and the values are pretty much equal according to the chart.

:worthy::worthy: Never thought of that, but damn that's a good idea.

Draft pick values

Hi Guys,

This is my first post so bare with me. I am for a trade up, simply because I feel that Ellis will be worth it. But by the values of draft pick we should only have to swap both 1sts and 2nds for the points to be somewhat even. If not Rivers is fine at 10 because IMHO we are looking at Warren Sapp in Ellis and Will Witherspoon in Rivers. Save the CB pick for the 2nd.

Here is a link to draft pick values. http://www.theredzone.org/2006/draft/draftvaluechart.asp
Sorry if already posted.

Hi Guys,

This is my first post so bare with me. I am for a trade up, simply because I feel that Ellis will be worth it. But by the values of draft pick we should only have to swap both 1sts and 2nds for the points to be somewhat even. If not Rivers is fine at 10 because IMHO we are looking at Warren Sapp in Ellis and Will Witherspoon in Rivers. Save the CB pick for the 2nd.

Here is a link to draft pick values. http://www.theredzone.org/2006/draft/draftvaluechart.asp
Sorry if already posted.

The Patriots are the smartest organization in football. They aren't just gonna match up points. They'll want at least a 3rd round pick, maybe a 2nd rounder.

The Patriots are the smartest organization in football. They aren't just gonna match up points. They'll want at least a 3rd round pick, maybe a 2nd rounder.

Mickey Loomis plays hardball in the draft room. They won't burn us in value (though the 3rd rounder would be equal value according to the chart).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom