Saints! And This Feeling (1 Viewer)

SaintsFanInLA

BREES SMASH!!
Reaction score
Man, have you EVER felt this good about this team? I have been a Saints fan for my entire life and even including the offseason right after the 2006 NFCCG, I can not remember a time where I felt that this team was unbeatable. It is such a great GREAT feeling.

We actually have the #1 offense and the BEST QB in the NFL. That is awesome! But now we have a DC that is actually teaching our guys and putting them in a position to succeed.

This is just a great feeling. I actually don't feel nervous when I look at the schedule. I just don't because I feel like we should be in every game we play.

Last year we had the #1 offense and a terrible defense and aside from the Carolina game (which I put on Coach P trying to force the ball to Colston and abandoning a run game that was avg 9 yrds per carry, prior to Reggie's injury), we were in EVERY single game.

Now with the way this defense is playing, taking away the ball....it just feels wonderful.

And I don't care what excuses the Experts, Pundits and Debbie Downer Fans give you, anytime you drop 45+ points on a team in the NFL... IT IS A BIG DEAL.

For people who said preseason doesn't matter, ask the Raiders who got mollywomped in week 3 how they felt about their team after that shellacking, or the Texans after week 2. This team hasn't disappointed and looks to continue to deliver.

Here is to a great season guys and gals!! Relish every single game because I have a feeling that this is going to be a very VERY special year for us. I know I will.

I won't say unbeatable, but I think this is the closest thing to it. I feel like the offense is ready to handle anything after three years. Drew and Payton have seen it all. Meanwhile, the defense is being carefully engineered to win games regardless of pointless stats. We need to tighten up special teams play and adjust to individual challenges (like weather and no-huddle offense we face this week), but with Drew Brees, Payton and 3 years of experience I see us as a very, very hard team to beat. There is not one game on the schedule where I think the opponent has a better chance to win than us. That's far from unbeatable, but it's the best position to be in!

:9:

Man, have you EVER felt this good about this team? I have been a Saints fan for my entire life and even including the offseason right after the 2006 NFCCG, I can not remember a time where I felt that this team was unbeatable. It is such a great GREAT feeling.

We actually have the #1 offense and the BEST QB in the NFL. That is awesome! But now we have a DC that is actually teaching our guys and putting them in a position to succeed.

This is just a great feeling. I actually don't feel nervous when I look at the schedule. I just don't because I feel like we should be in every game we play.

Last year we had the #1 offense and a terrible defense and aside from the Carolina game (which I put on Coach P trying to force the ball to Colston and abandoning a run game that was avg 9 yrds per carry, prior to Reggie's injury), we were in EVERY single game.

Now with the way this defense is playing, taking away the ball....it just feels wonderful.

And I don't care what excuses the Experts, Pundits and Debbie Downer Fans give you, anytime you drop 45+ points on a team in the NFL... IT IS A BIG DEAL.

For people who said preseason doesn't matter, ask the Raiders who got mollywomped in week 3 how they felt about their team after that shellacking, or the Texans after week 2. This team hasn't disappointed and looks to continue to deliver.

Here is to a great season guys and gals!! Relish every single game because I have a feeling that this is going to be a very VERY special year for us. I know I will.

I'm more excited that I can actually read your font now...

I am "cautiously optimistic" and I think the 3 games against NY teams, Bills, Jets and Giants will tell us a lot. Especially if we can keep the injuries down.

I just wish we had this offense when we had the Dome Patrol. Now that would have been an opposing team devouring machine!

Same here... I have never been more confident in a Saints team than this current '09 team. I was fairly confident in the Dome Patrol years but the serviceable yet not stellar offense tempered that, in addition to always having San Fran looking down on us. I was pretty confident at the end of the 2006 season but was worried that the team was playing over their heads with the emotional lift of post-Katrina as well as the suspect defense, specifically the secondary. The '07 team tried to correct some of the deficiencies but we weren't quite there and the 0-4 start was too much to overcome. The '08 team was closer but injuries ravaged us.

I have had this same feeling as the OP since just after the 3rd preseason game but it's even moreso after the 2-0 start, including the Eagles win on the road. The reasons that I'm this confident is...

My trust in the front office. The personnel decisions have been more hit than miss. We've had quality drafts the past 4 years and made solid free agent signings. Look at the latest with the new backup TE and the contributions he made this past game. The trust even extends to the Bensons. I think they realize what they have here now and that's evident with the negotiations for the new lease extension.

My trust in the coaching including Sean Payton. This is the 4th year for Payton and the stability should pay dividends this season. He does a good job with game planning. He's a good play caller. I think he's getting better managing the game. I love the addition of Williams as the DC and what he brings. The guys are responding to him.

My trust in the players, mostly Drew Brees. His play is a work of art and we're blessed to witness it each week. More than that is his character on and off the field and the respect he commands. The ESPN feature of the pre-game chant gave me goose bumps. You definitely can see who the leader is on this team and the players respond to him too. The number of other offensive weapons are mind-numbing. The play of the O-line has been great. The previous weaknesses in the defense have been corrected. The depth on the D-line is outstanding. We have a great defensive QB in Vilma who retrospectively wasn't a real concern that we'd lose him this past offseason. The troubled secondary is now a strength. On special teams, what Payton tried to do in '07 with Mare to get a strong leg has been realized with Morestead. We should be solid with the kicking game, either with Carney, Hartley, or both.

My trust in the fans. Ditka was right when he said that New Orleans has the best fans in the NFL. Where else can you find such devotion for a team with such little success? Part of it now, though, is that we realized how close we were to losing our team post-Katrina. Regardless, the Dome is packed with sold out season tickets and louder than any other. I remember back in the '80's when I found it odd that other teams' fans were all clad uniformly in their team's colors. It was like a sea of red in K.C. for example. The dome then was just a mixture of regular clothes. Now, everyone wears black and/or gold. The scene is amazing. We truly have a home field advantage that the players feed off of.

We've got something special here. Sure there's no guarantee of a Super Bowl win even if we had the best team given the one game elimantion format in the playoffs where anything can happen. But I'd be disappointed if we didn't have a deep playoff run and a Super Bowl appearance is definitely attainable this season. The pieces are in place...

Last edited:
NDat#, I am with you. Those years when San Fran was looking down on us were difficult to take, then we have realignment and for the past few years both San Fran and the Rams were horrible.

But now, I do not see a game where we are outmatched and shouldn't be highly competitive.

Sure, there may be a fluke event or something that puts us in a hole but I still think that this team should either be in the lead or withing striking distance in the fourth quarter of any game this season.

Funny. My dad and I were talking the other day and he said the same thing. He's watch the Saints since they came into the league and he feels that this is the best team he's seen to have an opportunity to win and win big, with Brees in his prime with this fantastic Offense, Payton and Drew on the same page, running game coming around, and the D making things happen that will only get better as the season goes along. It will be a very fun season indeed my friends.

This team is incredible. The feeling I have now is remarkable. I want to relish every moment, week & every game.

Yes. When we won our first playoff game ever I was so proud of the Saints and so happy I coulda just burst.

This might be an unusual take, but one of the things I am noticing is that the Saints players seem to be "playing within themselves" more than any other year Payton has been here, by which I mean I am not seeing players attempting to pick up the slack for others who cannot get it done on their own. This is especially true on defense, but it does fit all around. I regard this as particularly important because "playing outside of themselves" (trying to pick up the slack for others) is exactly that type of play that leads to injuries and, even though everyone likes the cliché that "injuries don't count," in truth they matter a lot. I see Saints players doing their own individual jobs and counting on their teammates to do theirs.

I am really excited indeed!

I grew up in Chicago in the days when you didn't have access to the news and games of other teams so you simply watched the home team and hoped for the best. I was fortunate enough to see the Bears go from Walter Payton and a bunch of clowns to a complete, dominant team. In '85 we all knew that it was the year. Even people who had never watched football in their lives were watching because it was so obvious that something special was happening. The Bears had "it."

I have a similar feeling about this team. It's hard to not get excited. Especially because it appears as though the quality of the character of the players is impeccable. They're human and prone to such mistakes but they appear to be above average in that regard.

I won't allow myself to go nuts just yet because it's early. These games count just as much as any others but it's difficult to judge the quality of the opponents early in the season. I believe that Buffalo is a very talented team when they are healthy and if they don't implode I think that they have a chance to take second in that division. This was a legitimate win in my eyes. I see continuous improvement which excites me.

They will play the two toughest teams of the regular season schedule in these next two games and I am excited to see the games. The Jets and the Giants are legitimate contenders and I believe that those two games will show us all what the Saints have. Even if they lose I believe that the experience can be positive so long as they learn from it. It will be nice to see some good, solid football and watch the team get better. This team seems to have "it" but we'll know for sure in a few weeks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom