Saints announce All-50th team (1 Viewer)

This should be done in a depth chart format! Lol I'm lazy and don't wanna do it myself.. Any takers!?

I wasn't alive when Hokie played, was he a great player?
He was a beast with a short career due to knee injuries...I was alive but not old enough to remember watching. He had a very high rushing average.

Tyrone Hughes over the Beerman?

Man, that's a tough one. I say yes because Hughes was so long ago, and he was the premier return guy (in the league) when he was with us. It's funny to think about him leaving us now. He left because he wanted to be paid $1m a year, which we thought was extremely high for just a return man, so we let him go, which I believe was the season after we lost Morten. He was dominant, and the Bears jumped at the chance to sign him.

This would be one scary team. I would put our best Saints up against just about any team. Being able to add players to that dome patrol defense and the Payton era offense is scary. Those offenses and defenses alone are up for greatest of all time without being able to path up some weak spots.

This would be one scary team. I would put our best Saints up against just about any team. Being able to add players to that dome patrol defense and the Payton era offense is scary. Those offenses and defenses alone are up for greatest of all time without being able to path up some weak spots.

2011 Offense with 1991 Defense (before massive secondary injuries)

No Guido?

nwo-MerkensGuido.png

In a vacuum Brooks has better numbers than Hebert and did add an impact with his rushing. However, if you compare seasons where they were a starter for a full season (or at least almost full), this is how they ranked in Pass Rating:

Hebert
87 - 13
88 - 11
89 - 7
92 - 9

Brooks
01 - 19
02 - 19
03 - 7
04 - 19

Brooks certainly has a big edge in yards, but the Hebert teams didn't play for that as well as the game changing/different rules.
That said, I put them about equal. Brooks had better weapons around him on offense but never had the benefit of a great defense.

Which is to the point I want to make. Bobby is a winner. He was extremely accurate and made a career of hitting Eric Martin on the third down slants. Brooks was a disaster the last couple of years. He was the Jordan Jefferson of Saints history. It's not about stats as much as it is success. Bobby had wayyy more success.

Which is to the point I want to make. Bobby is a winner. He was extremely accurate and made a career of hitting Eric Martin on the third down slants. Brooks was a disaster the last couple of years. He was the Jordan Jefferson of Saints history. It's not about stats as much as it is
success. Bobby had wayyy more success.

No, but I might make another post to show how great Eric Martin was because he maintained his production from Fourcade/Walsh.
As for Jordan Jefferson, you can't beat Bama at all in 2011 with Jarrett Lee. At least Jefferson gave you the win in Tuscaloosa.

Congrats to the players that made the list. Knowing that some have been left out though.

Mike McKenzie is a personal fave. I guess him and Greer weren't here long enough to get the nod.

Kyle Turley had some good years.

And totally agree that A A Ron Brooks is the 2nd best Saints QB of all time. It's really time we took media and people to task for ignoring him. I'm not going to come out and say it's racism (I loathe the race card) but there is a correlation between people I knew who bash Brooks and people I knew who make racists comments. A very significant correlation. Ok. Whatever. I came out and said it.

Atkins played 3 seasons,not 1-1/2. It wasn't a farewell tour where an aging athlete was still playing on reputation. The three seasons he played in N.O. He
was still one of the leagues most feared pass rushers. During his 2nd season as a saint,he had 12 sacks in 7 games at the age of 38. He broke
his leg in game 8 and finished the season on IR.

John Facenda, the original voice of NFL films said this about Atkins." The Saints took Atkins in the expansion draft hoping to squeeze one more year
out of his tired legs. Instead of one good year,they got three great ones. On his last play,Atkins sacked the Qb"

Ok, so 2 and a half, with half a decent season. Still, it doesn't make him more qualified than any of the people listed, or even others not listed.

and probably Lorenzo Neal over Hokie - I love Hokie, but Neal was a way better FB

In 4 years in NO, Lorenzo Neal ran for 326 total yards and broke a rookie's jaw. In his 4 year career, Hokie ran for 1,358 yards (with a 5.4 avg). Injuries ended what would have been a superior career to Neal's, off and on the field.

Only one I don't recall is Jake Kupp. Can any of you help me out with that one?

One of my favorites as a child. A bright spot on the offensive line during the early years. He was in the original 1967 expansion draft and then released after five games. Picked up by the Falcons and finished the season in Atlanta. Resigned by the Saints in 1968 and made the Pro Bowl in 1969! He was a mainstay on the line until 1975 when he retired. Pretty sure he was a Captain of the offensive team several years as well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom