Saints announce All-50th team (1 Viewer)

Some surprises on there but it really speaks to how the best talent has largely been in recent years.
I think it speaks more to how the talent evaluators have more knowledge about recent years.

From watching the selection videos it seems too much emphasize was put on public perception and off field activities and not enough attention was given to on field performance.

While I think any of the guys on the list are worth consideration it puzzles me how you pick LeCharles Bentley who was great but still only was able to play for 4 season....then you leave off a guy like George Rogers who had a 1674 yard rushing season for us better than Dueces best yardage number.

Well to be fair to Reggie, I think his overall impact on what he did for the team goes down as bigger than what Brooks did.

Not in my opinion. Bush had a few good games stat wise, but Brooks had far more games leading 4th quarter comebacks and pretty much carried the entire offense in this franchise's first playoff win. The only game remotely close to that I can think of for Bush was the Monday night Minnesota game. A game the Saints lost.

As far as Bush being a decoy, how can you really put a value on that while not knowing the play call?

The biggest omission I see is Tony Galbreath. Among the league leaders in receptions, excellent blocker, powerful runner as a fullback. No disrespect to Hokie but Galbreath was one of the best all-around fullbacks (in the modern sense) in the history of the league.

Other worth mentioning that I can remember:
Jerry Fontenot
Russel Gary
Mel Gray

Anybody else feel like Aaron Brooks kind of deserves the nod before Bobby? I know Bobby is a hometown favorite, but Aaron's stats were better and he has a playoff win on his resume.

In a vacuum Brooks has better numbers than Hebert and did add an impact with his rushing. However, if you compare seasons where they were a starter for a full season (or at least almost full), this is how they ranked in Pass Rating:

Hebert
87 - 13
88 - 11
89 - 7
92 - 9

Brooks
01 - 19
02 - 19
03 - 7
04 - 19

Brooks certainly has a big edge in yards, but the Hebert teams didn't play for that as well as the game changing/different rules.
That said, I put them about equal. Brooks had better weapons around him on offense but never had the benefit of a great defense.

Brooks over Hebert. Muncie and Rogers over McAfee and Gajan. Atkins over Harper. Some areas of debate. Wes Chandler was a stud, but maybe not here long enough.

Johnnie Poe??!!!??

Garrett Hartley had a much bigger impact to this franchise that Johnnie friggin Poe

I think Aaron Brooks should be ahead of Bobby Hebert. Statistically Brooks was clearly more effective than Bobby.

I guess Bobby is getting some extra credit for his post playing career.

The fact that Bobby had any passing yards under Carl Smith should be weighted in the argument. I mean, we are talking about Carl Smith.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom