Saints Approximate Cap Space left (1 Viewer)

Saint Kamara

Formerly SaintSproles and SaintReggie
Reaction score
Was approximately 5.5 million before Roby, Drescher and Watson signings.

Best guess to cap hits:

Drescher $550,000 (minimum vet cap allowance)
Roby $550,000 (minimum vet cap allowance)
Watson $1,607,000 ($940,000 base + $667,000 pro rated signing bonus)

Taking off the bottom 3 cap hits of $1,365,000 in total, gives us:

$1.345 million subtracted from $5.5. million = $4.15 million left

Last edited:
I'm a little slow to the party. Have the Roby and Watson contract details come out?

Don't forget Humber.

Roby should count much less if he signed for that, due to the veteran minimum salary benefit rule.

Take off bottom 3 adds 1.8 to 5.5= 7.3 million in cap space.

Was approximately 5.5 million before Roby, Drescher and Watson signings.

Best guess to cap hits:

Drescher $715,000 (league minimum for 4 year vet)
Roby $840,000 (league minimum for 9 year vet)
Watson $1,607,000 ($940,000 base + $667,000 pro rated signing bonus)

Taking off the bottom 3 cap hits of $1,365,000 in total, gives us:

$1.8 million subtracted from $5.5. million = $3.7 million left

If we signed Nnamdi, we will probably need to release one of our veteran defensive backs. It would be a crowded backfield. None of them will generate huge savings (though Harper as a post June 1st cut could be like $3 million, with the remaining cap hit going into next year), but I would rather we move on frm a veteran than risk crowding out young guys like Rafael Bush, Isa, or White.

Also Ivory's $2 million tender will be moved before the draft I think.

Another thing to keep in mind is we have over 51 contracts now. Only the top 51 count. So, for instance signing Watson means that AJ Davis' deal no longer counts towards the cap. Effectively, this means that $405,000 of Watsons cap number was already accounted for. The next player we sign will drive Bryce Harris' deal below the 51 threshold, meaning the first $480,000 of the next person we signs deal is already accounted for.

If we signed Nnamdi, we will probably need to release one of our veteran defensive backs. It would be a crowded backfield. None of them will generate huge savings (though Harper as a post June 1st cut could be like $3 million, with the remaining cap hit going into next year), but I would rather we move on frm a veteran than risk crowding out young guys like Rafael Bush, Isa, or White.

Another thing to keep in mind is we have over 51 contracts now. Only the top 51 count. So, for instance signing Watson means that AJ Davis' deal no longer counts towards the cap. Effectively, this means that $405,000 of Watsons cap number was already accounted for. The next player we sign will drive Bryce Harris' deal below the 51 threshold, meaning the first $480,000 of the next person we signs deal is already accounted for.

Who do you presume to be cut in the backfield? I'm leaning towards Greer(not that I want that), but I only assume this because Prob is younger, and most likely to accept a lesser role on defense.

You obviously didn't take any time to read my post.

The bottom 3 signings have been accounted for and subtracted out.

Take off bottom 3 adds 1.8 to 5.5= 7.3 million in cap space.

The bottom 3 cap hits are currently $1.365 million in total, which I added back into the remaining cap space.

So instead of the $3.165 million in my guesstimated cap hits for the players we signed, we actually will only have a $1.8 million cap hit.

Who do you presume to be cut in the backfield? I'm leaning towards Greer(not that I want that), but I only assume this because Prob is younger, and most likely to accept a lesser role on defense.

No idea. You have to assume Nnamdi would be coming in to be a CB, not move to safety, right? He has options, and certainly wouldn't sign on the cheap to make a move like that. He seems to be indicating he wants to go to a team that'll help him repair his reputation, I'd assume that statement would include "as a top cornerback". So yeah it would seem to suggest we'd move a CB. Prob is cheap and young, so that would imply Greer, but I still think Greer can be pretty good =\

Personally I'd rather not sign Nnamdi but :shrug:

You obviously didn't take any time to read my post.

The bottom 3 signings have been accounted for and subtracted out.

Hey my bad big dog. You're right. My deepest apologies for impugning on your vast understanding.

New Orleans Saints - 2013 Cap Hits

cant release greer or robinson. cap hit vs. dead money isn't worth it. Keep in mind if you release a player you would want to sign/draft another player even if it's just for depth.

best thing to do in this cap situation we are in is find a trade partner for a player such as ivory or harper (even if we don't get anything in return). we will save money against the cap this year, and can roll it over to next year for Jimmy's contract if needed. I think there are some inside talks about trading away a player on our current roster, but thats just me speculating and being optimistic (aka an average saints fan).

I doubt we cut any defensive back if we sign Nnamdi, we gotta have an insurance policy in case he doesnt work

We have two 2nd round tenders pending. DLP and Ivory. Both if signed it would be 2.2 mil each I believe? You have to figure that the team is working a longer deal with DLP hopefully cap friendly. You also have to figure rookie contract pool into the cap number at some point. The accounting will get fun if we sign any more FA's. (I'm looking at you Nnamdi). That said I think there is more trimming to be done.

No idea. You have to assume Nnamdi would be coming in to be a CB, not move to safety, right? He has options, and certainly wouldn't sign on the cheap to make a move like that. He seems to be indicating he wants to go to a team that'll help him repair his reputation, I'd assume that statement would include "as a top cornerback". So yeah it would seem to suggest we'd move a CB. Prob is cheap and young, so that would imply Greer, but I still think Greer can be pretty good =\

Personally I'd rather not sign Nnamdi but :shrug:

Yes I was asking as if we were to sign him. The most probable cut would be Greer, but like you said he is still a really good CB, so this is baffling me.

Yeah I would rather not sign Nnamdi as well, but this most likely is Rob Ryans doing. I would rather not sign him since Greer is still solid, and above average, however Nmandi is a possible upgrade(with a risk of course).

I mean the thing that makes the most sense is moving him to FS. But would Nnamdi really sign here to go be a FS?

Think Harper as a June 1st cut would save around 4.5 million. No idea what it would be for Greer as a June 1st cut? Anyone have the numbers??

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom