Saints Approximate Cap Space left (1 Viewer)

Think Harper as a June 1st cut would save around 4.5 million. No idea what it would be for Greer as a June 1st cut? Anyone have the numbers??

$1.3 this year, $2.6 next it looks like.

Jabari Greer Contract, Salaries, and Transactions

Surely they're not going to cut Greer though. He's less risky than Nnamdi, unless there's some unknown quantity to his health that we're not aware of, he's had a lot of them.

I mean the thing that makes the most sense is moving him to FS. But would Nnamdi really sign here to go be a FS?

Can he play safety? :scratch: No, but honestly I was honestly thinking the same thing, but that's only assuming if he gets signed, and Greer, nor Robinson gets cut.

Was approximately 5.5 million before Roby, Drescher and Watson signings.

Best guess to cap hits:

Drescher $715,000 (league minimum for 4 year vet)
Roby $840,000 (league minimum for 9 year vet)
Watson $1,607,000 ($940,000 base + $667,000 pro rated signing bonus)

Veteran minimum salary benefit puts all vets beyond 2 seasons at a cap hit equal to the 2nd year vet minimum (~$550k), so they actually are paid more than what they cost against the cap. That added to the aforementioned top 51 against the cap (with the players at the end making just over $400k) means very minimum affect on the cap.

Hard for me to explain it well, but essentially, any player we sign to the veteran minimum will eat into about just $100k of our cap space.

And I wouldn't rule out Watson getting the vet min this season and increasing in future seasons. So, in summation, those three players very well may have "cost" us ~$300k against the cap.

Here's the thing about cap space. It does nothing for you. You only need cap space, when you need it.

Not trying to be Yogi Berra, just pointing out that if the team is about ready to upgrade a position, THEN they'll do something to create cap space. Before that, it is worthless. We have some space to make a move, and there are plenty of FA's out there that as the days go on, their prices drop. The smart teams wait and find the value sitting around.

Little bonus nugget. You realize that the Seahawks would be well over the cap this year, if not for the fact they were able to roll over around 13M from last year?

It's SB or bust for them this season, because next year they'll have to do a ton of work to keep that roster (a lot of FA's for them too).

You only need cap space, when you need it.

And you need cap space to acquire key free agents and keep your own.

You realize that the Seahawks would be well over the cap this year, if not for the fact they were able to roll over around 13M from last year?

So they needed cap space this year to make some major signings?

It's SB or bust for them this season, because next year they'll have to do a ton of work to keep that roster (a lot of FA's for them too).

And they'll need cap space next year to help keep the team together? Wow! Sounds like cap space is certainly doing something for them, and a lack of it can do something to them in the near future.

And Seattle doesn't really have any major FA's next year, just some moderately important players like Chancellor. And they'll be in fairly good shape cap wise as long as Wilson doesn't hold out, which most players won't do with 2 years remaining on their deals. At that point, what do you know, they'll need a decent chunk of cap space to sign him.

And you need cap space to acquire key free agents and keep your own.

So they needed cap space this year to make some major signings?

And they'll need cap space next year to help keep the team together? Wow! Sounds like cap space is certainly doing something for them, and a lack of it can do something to them in the near future.

And Seattle doesn't really have any major FA's next year, just some moderately important players like Chancellor. And they'll be in fairly good shape cap wise as long as Wilson doesn't hold out, which most players won't do with 2 years remaining on their deals. At that point, what do you know, they'll need a decent chunk of cap space to sign him.

You clearly missed my entire point.

I'll make it simple. Having a lot of cap space, just for the sake of cap space is worthless if you don't have anyone worth spending it on. Or, having a lot of cap space can make you over pay for a mediocre talent.

So, if we have 3M, 5M, or 20M it really doesn't matter at this point. If the team wants to go over a big name guy and spend a ton of money, they can and will regardless of the cap situation. We will make cap room as needed, but it is essentially worthless to create a ton of cap space if it will go unused.

EDIT: In regard to Seattle, they rolled over unused cap dollar from last year, in order to allow themselves to be well over the cap this year. So, they basically have a one year loan. Everyone is talking about how they made these huge moves in FA (they made one trade and one FA signing), when the reality is, other than this "one year loan", they'd be in the same situation as everyone else. They'd have to cut players in order to be competitive. And eventually (I don't think until 2015) they'll have to re-do Wilson's contract. Also Harvin's contract is huge next season, unless they do something.

The whole point is that they are not some wonder child with all this cap space that will last for years, due to smart drafting. I'm really just bringing it up because everyone keeps whining about our cap space ( or lack of it) and how it's such a problem. No problem exists.

Here's the thing about cap space. It does nothing for you. You only need cap space, when you need it.

Not trying to be Yogi Berra, just pointing out that if the team is about ready to upgrade a position, THEN they'll do something to create cap space. Before that, it is worthless. We have some space to make a move, and there are plenty of FA's out there that as the days go on, their prices drop. The smart teams wait and find the value sitting around.

Exactly. There are problems with just creating cap space for the sake of creating it. For instance, it almost always ends up creating dead money, either this year or next. I'm sure the Saints could go to almost every player on the roster and re-negotiate contracts and be in cap heaven...until next year when they're sitting on a huge pile of dead money. Why create the space before you need it? If a player comes along and the Saints want to sign him, I'm sure they'll find a way to make it fit.

I'll make it simple. Having a lot of cap space, just for the sake of cap space is worthless if you don't have anyone worth spending it on.

The Seahawks apparently didn't have anyone worth spending money on last season, carried over $13m, and signed arguably the two best DE's in free agency. That's not a one time thing. Teams can carry over unused cap space next season, and the next, etc...

So, if we have 3M, 5M, or 20M it really doesn't matter at this point.

Sure it does. If we had been magically given an extra ~$20m in cap space, Graham would probably be discussing a new frontloaded deal and we could have probably matched Cleveland's offer to Kruger had we wanted to.

If the team wants to go over a big name guy and spend a ton of money, they can and will regardless of the cap situation. We will make cap room as needed

"Making" cap room now will necessarily sacrifice cap space in the future. Yes, we could sign a guy like Dumervil to a long term deal and fit him under the cap this season, but at the cost of escalating base salaries. That will hurt us in the future. Drew's base salary jumps up significantly in 2015 (which they will be forced to convert to a signing bonus, pushing some hefty dead money into seasons that Drew won't be playing). Graham is going to need a $7m+/yr deal.

but it is essentially worthless to create a ton of cap space if it will go unused.

OK? I don't recall anyone accusing teams of fighting to create cap space that they have no intention of using/carrying over, so I'm not sure why you're harping on that.

Why is that?

If your serious and not just joking around I have a good reason against moving him to FS. His greatest talent by far is being able to stay 1v1 with a WR and lock him down, something he would barely do at FS. Why move him to a position where he would be minimizing his great skill? And yes he was bad 1v1 in Philly but that could be also based on a number of other things other than himself. We know Ryan is going to run a system similar to the one where Nnamdi was extremely successful at Oakland, so he should be more comfortable in Ryans system than whatever they were running in Philly.

EDIT: In regard to Seattle, they rolled over unused cap dollar from last year, in order to allow themselves to be well over the cap this year. So, they basically have a one year loan.

A one year loan that allowed Super Bowl contender to go from "really good" at DE to the best DE trio in the NFL (and that's without the injured Clemons, who is excellent and should be healthy later in the season). All because of surplus cap space that they didn't have to spend on anyone in the 2012 offseason, something that you said is useless.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom