Saints are running out of room for scars with free-agent cornerbacks (1 Viewer)

Lastly, when you have a clear, glaring need at the position along with a high pick, don't pass on a guy with speed, attitude, spunk, production (Marcus Peters) for a backup offensive linemen that you clearly had no vision for and wasn't even a need at the time. We're whiffing at corner because we're not allocating our resources towards the position properly.

I really agree with this part of your post

Micah Hyde would be a nice signing. I don't think we would want him as our #2 corner though.
I agree. S.Gilmore or T.Johnson (expensive) would be more ideal. Heck, for a long time I wanted to see T.Newman (When he left Cowboys; would've been a head-cratcher signing at the time) in B&G but he's a year older now.
He'll be out in the market but I'll find it to be reminiscent of C.Bailey if signed.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

The Saints have never drafted a great cornerback. Guys like McKenzie, Greer, and Lewis have come in from the outside. You also have the "throw at the rookie corner" syndrome that is irresistible to opposing quarterbacks. Let's get a starting CB in free agency and a potential starting CB in the draft.

I wouldn't be opposed to the Saints pulling a Double Up Johnson and signing a solid CB in FA and then taking the top CB on the board at #11. If they want to fix that position then this is the year to do it. We have the cap space to sign a top CB and it's possible the top CB in the draft is still on the board at #11.

At #11 we could be looking at that sweet spot where the best value just so happens to also be a top need. This draft is so deep at CB it wouldn't surprise me at all if they took two.

I wouldn't be opposed to the Saints pulling a Double Up Johnson and signing a solid CB in FA and then taking the top CB on the board at #11. If they want to fix that position then this is the year to do it. We have the cap space to sign a top CB and it's possible the top CB in the draft is still on the board at #11.

At #11 we could be looking at that sweet spot where the best value just so happens to also be a top need. This draft is so deep at CB it wouldn't surprise me at all if they took two.

The best thing in doing those with either a pass rusher or a corner is that you can sign, let's just say Johnson, to a 5 year 70 million dollar deal.

Come draft day, if Lattimore is there, then take him, and you have him on a rookie contract for 5 years. So you end up with 2 possibly elite corners, while only paying elite money to one of them. When Johnson's deal is up, then sign Lattimore to an elite contract, and draft another stud.

I like the sign big - draft big idea. Just scared of the sign big part. Sure you get a proven CB, but a large portion of your cap is gone for a while and that guy isn't hungry anymore. Or even worse... knee goes out in the 3rd preseason game. Now you're starting a rookie and hoping for the best... And all you have is a good passing game and now you can't afford to re-sign your hotdog young receivers to give your new-to-you at least QB.

Feeling a little pessimistic today... sorry.

I'm really not sure how to put this eloquently, but it seems like the corners we draft are always guys with slow 40 times or developmental guys, the types that we go into draft days and most of us self-proclaimed "draft gurus" have never even heard of them. We rarely seem to draft the types "people are talking about," with attitudes, flashy return skills, blazing 40s, "dawgs" from top schools, the SEC, etc.

In this draft, I'm talking guys like Sidney Jones, Adoree Jackson, Marshon Lattimoe, Tradavious White, etc. Those are the types we rarely seem to draft.

Not saying these guys are busts, but we seem to draft the no-name, non-special types like Rasul Douglas from West Virginia, Brendan Langley from Lamar. Stop taking mid-round fliers and go after special types that have played in big games and run 4.3s/low 4.4s and have first or second round grades. Guys with attitude and cockiness, guys from big programs with outstanding tape against top competition.

Stop drafting corners that run in the high 4.5s or worse and guys that were "just a guy" at their program that other teams barely feared or game-planned for. Focus on the types above, and our bust rate will drop considerably.

Even taking corners in the mid rounds are fine, guys like PJ Williams and Damian Swann were steps in the right direction, rather than project types like Johnny Patrick or Corey White (yeah I realize hindsight is 20/20). Yeah you may miss out on a Josh Norman every so often (4.66 speed from Coastal Carolina), but guys like him come around only once every few years and are like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Lastly, when you have a clear, glaring need at the position along with a high pick, don't pass on a guy with speed, attitude, spunk, production (Marcus Peters) for a backup offensive linemen that you clearly had no vision for and wasn't even a need at the time. We're whiffing at corner because we're not allocating our resources towards the position properly.

facts: I also wish they would go ahead and get a stud corner for once. I don't think this organization has ever drafted a stud corner, at least since I been a fan, saw my first game in 72 but became a steady fan in 85.

A blue chipper will look like a scrub if there is no pass rush. I think our lack of a pass rush has hurt our DB's over the past 5-6 years.

and the opposite can be true. A stud corner and a very good corner will give the front line that extra second or two for them to get there for the sack. Our corners lined up 10+ yards off the LOS, granted that was due mostly to the injuries and having to play street agents and UDFAs at the position. I am not saying that we don't need another DE opposite Cam Jordan but I think a stud corner will allow a lesser talented DE to get to his spot.

The best thing in doing those with either a pass rusher or a corner is that you can sign, let's just say Johnson, to a 5 year 70 million dollar deal.

Come draft day, if Lattimore is there, then take him, and you have him on a rookie contract for 5 years. So you end up with 2 possibly elite corners, while only paying elite money to one of them. When Johnson's deal is up, then sign Lattimore to an elite contract, and draft another stud.

And that is the key to successful defenses. Always keep upgrading your talent. We used to not be able, for some reason, to recognize talent but it seems that the Saints finally got the right people for that reason.

I don't think this organization has ever drafted a stud corner, at least since I been a fan, saw my first game in 72 but became a steady fan in 85.

Well it's not that they haven't tried...it just never worked...such as Alex Molden.

As the resident Packer watcher, I'd want NO part of Micah Hyde. He's an awful cover guy--both zone and man. He's a useful player in a pinch on defense, but most of his value is as a ST'er.

I think Logan Ryan in FA & a CB or two via the draft would be solid additions. Delvin, Pj Williams, Sterlng Moore(if resigned), Swan, & Crawley arent bad at all, when healthy & at full strength. Plus, bringing in a true speed rusher & a few more pressure specific players would help the secondary even more. If ever there was time to go D heavy, its 100% this draft. Pass rushers(the speed types) CB/S/DB & LB are stocked to the gills. Not only are these positions of need, but the value will be there from beginning to end.

Micah Hyde would be a nice signing. I don't think we would want him as our #2 corner though.

Micah Hyde to me would be a backup S that could play ST's and give you nickel snaps. He was used more as a S in Greenbay to my knowledge...almost like a low level Malcolm Jenkins.

The only issue i have with that projection is SP mentioned that the draft was deep at S so I see us addressing it there vs FA. (all of this depends on what you call Hyde though)

Thx OP, just when i was starting to forget about Stanley Baptiste...

Good god i still can't believe we spent a 2nd round pick on an unproven talent like that

Micah Hyde to me would be a backup S that could play ST's and give you nickel snaps. He was used more as a S in Greenbay to my knowledge...almost like a low level Malcolm Jenkins.

The only issue i have with that projection is SP mentioned that the draft was deep at S so I see us addressing it there vs FA. (all of this depends on what you call Hyde though)

Hyde is interesting. Similar to Vaccaro, except more of a FS/CB than a SS/LB. Both are good nickel corners and of course Hyde is a good return man. Smaller/faster than Kenny, but both are very versatile.

I don't know about everyone else, but im excited about this years draft more than ive been in a long time. For one we finally have cap money to play with, and we are sitting at a nice spot with pick 11. It's almost impossible to mess this pick up lol

Hyde is interesting. Similar to Vaccaro, except more of a FS/CB than a SS/LB. Both are good nickel corners and of course Hyde is a good return man. Smaller/faster than Kenny, but both are very versatile.

I like Hydes's all around game. He's def scrappy, but w/Kenny, Bell, and Byrd(for the moment) already in house, we dont really need him. Plus Hyde is a way better S, than CB. He was thrust into the NCB role, cause of all of GBs injuries. He was basically GBs version of Ken Crawley, minus the UDFA factor. Hyde has nice stats, but he got abused a ton and got totally bombed on against the SB losers. There's way better talent in the draft at that hybrid DB position. If we got him, he'd be depth and a STs players. I'd rather see us target guys who are starter-type talents.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom