Saints are willing to look past warning signs with Rob Ryan (1 Viewer)

"The knock on Ryan in previous stops was that he didn't have very sound principles, and that he didn't always find the right balance between when to blitz and when to cover."

This is the biggest thing you all should be concerned with outside of personnel. Don't worry about his personality... that doesn't seem to be much of an issue.

Ryan seems to try to outsmart everyone, but in doing so over thinks. He doesn't appear to have a good feel of how to game plan. He was able to dial up some nice plays toward the end of the year, so he has the ability, but I don't know how many times I saw our best pass rushers drop back into coverage and rush three down lineman (none of them being particularly good pass rushers). More than one occasion, you could find DeMarcus Ware playing a safety type role after the ball was snapped.

He has a lot of exotic and unsuccessful schemes that will make you want to tear your hair out.
This also worries me. I'm hoping for Grantham. We can't afford another bad or even so-so DC hire.

Ryan stiked me as a guy who got gifted a career due to family connections.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I found this interesting:

"Former Saints and Cleveland Browns linebacker Scott Fujita said last week while discussing the 3-4 defense that he enjoyed the freedom and input Ryan gave him during their two years together in Cleveland (2009-2010)."

I wonder if Payton and/or Loomis, who I think respect Fujita, spoke to him about Ryan as a culture fit for the team?

I find it interesting that Fujita was in Cleveland in 2009. :idunno:

I think the Rooney rule only applies to head coach vacancies.

Exactly. Then why even interview Grantham, and waste the man's time, if a decision has already been made? I think Grantham has a legit shot, and it rides largely on his interview tomorrow. If he nails it, he'll get the job IMO.

SMOKESCREEN

Grantham will be hired by Monday. Book it.

A previous thread mentioned Grantham's less-than-stellar defensive statistical achievements. Is everyone married to this guy just because he's got a bunch of talent coming out in this year's draft? And I did see his explanation of the 3-4 scheme, but wasn't particularly wowed by his brilliance like some others seem to be. I'm not trolling, just interested to hear why everyone is on his bandwagon.

I'm a big fan of Dick LeBeau, and i'd love to see someone that's come up in his system get a shot. His LB coach (Butler?) might be available, and i'd hope we'd at least give him an interview.

Of course, if the '9ers let us talk to Tomsula i'd love to see us gain him, and subtract from those morons at the same time.

A previous thread mentioned Grantham's less-than-stellar defensive statistical achievements. Is everyone married to this guy just because he's got a bunch of talent coming out in this year's draft? And I did see his explanation of the 3-4 scheme, but wasn't particularly wowed by his brilliance like some others seem to be. I'm not trolling, just interested to hear why everyone is on his bandwagon.

I'm a big fan of Dick LeBeau, and i'd love to see someone that's come up in his system get a shot. His LB coach (Butler?) might be available, and i'd hope we'd at least give him an interview.

Of course, if the '9ers let us talk to Tomsula i'd love to see us gain him, and subtract from those morons at the same time.

I agree. "Developing" talent at Georgia means that you have a bunch of blue chippers who dominate lesser teams 8 out of 12 weeks. I want a proven NFL coach. I like Crennel...

This also worries me. I'm hoping for Grantham. We can't afford another bad or even so-so DC hire.

Grantham is a guarantee?

In 2004, prior to Grantham, Cleveland's defense was ranked 15th.
In 2005, with Grantham, Cleveland's defense was ranked 16th.
In 2006, with Grantham, Cleveland's defense was ranked 27th.
In 2007, with Grantham, Cleveland's defense was ranked 30th.
Then, rumor has it, Grantham may have back-stabbed Crennel.

We need that?

Whoever it is I'll happily roll with it. I prefer an aggressive coach to Spags so I just hope for aggressive.

I agree. "Developing" talent at Georgia means that you have a bunch of blue chippers who dominate lesser teams 8 out of 12 weeks. I want a proven NFL coach. I like Crennel...

He also has been coaching against a lot of the talent thats is being ushered into the NFL with success.

Guys like Newton,Wilson,Griffin have been giving guys fits the last 2 years.

Im for Grantham for several reasons. He has an interesting mesh of philosophies. He combines the 1-2gap principles. HE has some Saban in him which means he comes from the Parcells tree. He preaches DISCIPLINE. Something that no one can say has been a strong part of any Rob Ryan defense.

IF your going to poke fun @ the fact that he has blue chippers..think about the guys who DONT develop said bluechippers...

Justin Houston went to the Chiefs after leaving Georgia. HEs been very good so not only did he help develop him but he was a legit NFL talent. Some of his work is scheme/some of it is talent.

We need that kind of mix here on top of the Discipline and Fundamentals issue.

Grantham is a guarantee?

In 2004, prior to Grantham, Cleveland's defense was ranked 15th.
In 2005, with Grantham, Cleveland's defense was ranked 16th.
In 2006, with Grantham, Cleveland's defense was ranked 27th.
In 2007, with Grantham, Cleveland's defense was ranked 30th.
Then, rumor has it, Grantham may have back-stabbed Crennel.

We need that?

Whoever it is I'll happily roll with it. I prefer an aggressive coach to Spags so I just hope for aggressive.

Cleveland is a poor example. Look what he did with the Colts and Texans before that. Even with the Cowboys. The guy improved defenses everywhere he went except Cleveland and Cleveland has always been a toilet bowl of inevitable failure. Even Belichick failed there (with Saban as his DC, no less!).

Rex might be a good coach...but how good is he@ developing the players hes coaching?

Grantham has several Georgia defenders going in the 1st round and several more going in the next 6. He must be at least decent @ developing talent right. He has guys going from every level of the Defense. Dline, Safety, LB, CB. He has guys from every position what will be looked@ during this draft.

I don't follow uga football but was grantham successful there or what? Multiple first rounders on one team should be a special group if coached well.

I don't follow uga football but was grantham successful there or what? Multiple first rounders on one team should be a special group if coached well.

The defense slumped from i think 8th overall last year to way higher 16-20 or so. However the scoring defense was still about 18ppg AND they had a 5 game stretch where opponents scored 8ppg.

Grantham figured out he was a 3-4 guy during a stint with the Indianapolis Colts from 1999-2001. At the time, Peyton Manning was maturing into one of the best quarterbacks in NFL history. In practice every week, Grantham watched Manning diagnose and pick apart even-front defenses. As soon as the defenders lined up, Manning recognized the coverage and could spot any weaknesses. That wasn't the case in 2000 when the Colts faced the New England Patriots and first-year coach Bill Belichick. "When [Manning] went against an even front, he knew the coverage and what you were doing based on the alignment on the front," Grantham said. "But when he went against the New England Patriots and everything was balanced, he had a much tougher time. You could mentally and physically see the stress during practice of where the fourth rusher was coming from."

What bothered Manning -- and what bothers the quarterbacks who play Alabama and Georgia -- is that a 3-4 defense only declares three rushers in a non-blitz situation. A 4-3 declares all four. Against a 4-3, a quarterback can face unexpected pressure when the opponent blitzes. Against a 3-4, he can face unexpected pressure on every play. And because he doesn't know exactly who is rushing, he also doesn't know who is dropping into coverage. That makes it easier to throw an interception.

Georgia's defense, led by former Saban assistant Todd Grantham, doesn't rate as high statistically because of a rough patch early in the season, but the Bulldogs have allowed only 43 points in their last five games.

Read More: Alabama, Georgia pit 3-4 defenses in SEC title game for BCS berth - Andy Staples - SI.com

Only thing i can say is Chip Kelly didn't say he wanted a coordinator with shutoutability and then mention Grantham on accident.

We can knock off Matt Ryan by confusing him and Cam Newton by being disciplined all with one coach. He has had success against both types of QB's

Cleveland is a poor example. Look what he did with the Colts and Texans before that. Even with the Cowboys. The guy improved defenses everywhere he went except Cleveland and Cleveland has always been a toilet bowl of inevitable failure. Even Belichick failed there (with Saban as his DC, no less!).

If we can hold Cleveland against Ryan then we can hold Cleveland against Grantham.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom