Saints averaged a whopping 4.31 yards of separation on targeted passes (1 Viewer)

What you're finally seeing is normal spacing. We've been playing in a compressed 20 yard box for the last 5 years. The fact that we've still consistently demolished the regular season while playing like this is simply astounding and a testament to the quality of our o-line and Kamara. If you watch other teams play, they consistently hit what look to be ridiculously easy 20-30 yard completions and we sit there with our hands up asking What the Fork! because we never get those easy yards. Once the safeties actually have to stay on top of the receivers and the LB have to stay in close to prevent Kamara then the entire intermediary zone of come backs, in routes, drags etc become easy.

Well said, as great as Drew was he was holding the offense back to some degree, in some ways. The talent on the O-line and Kamara definitely helped. If You don't put as much emphasis on the oline starting in 2016 + land Kamara even with Drew that offense isn't as good.

Jameis had all week to throw.

It's a team sport, but if there was ever a need to say one group won the game over another, it's the O-line.

Jameis had all week to throw.

It's a team sport, but if there was ever a need to say one group won the game over another, it's the O-line.
Oline job hasnt been this easy since 2016. They werent flooded with 10 in the box coming at them, like prior years. With Jameis making them play fair, pulling the safeties and LBers back....our OL were probably pleasantly surprised how easy it is to do their job, when DBs and LBers have other assignments.

What you're finally seeing is normal spacing. We've been playing in a compressed 20 yard box for the last 5 years. The fact that we've still consistently demolished the regular season while playing like this is simply astounding and a testament to the quality of our o-line and Kamara. If you watch other teams play, they consistently hit what look to be ridiculously easy 20-30 yard completions and we sit there with our hands up asking What the Fork! because we never get those easy yards. Once the safeties actually have to stay on top of the receivers and the LB have to stay in close to prevent Kamara then the entire intermediary zone of come backs, in routes, drags etc become easy.
This. 100% this. The past few years you watch any other game and teams were making those intermediate to deep passes look routine. And I guess for most offenses those passes were routine. But then you watch the Saints and the field seemed to shrink. It was like the defense was playing with 14 dudes.

Drew had to throw into the tightest windows in the league. Guys had to make catches with defenders draped all over them. Screens were instantly sniffed out. There was very little room to run after the catch. AK didn't have very much room to operate. Despite all of that SP was still able to finish in the top 10 in both points and yards every year except last season. Last year they finished 5th in points but only 12th in yards. That's incredible.

And now SP gets to use the entire field again. This is going to be fun to watch.

I'm just happy we have another WR who defenses feel the need to double. When MT returns that will present some interesting dilemmas for Secondaries. Callaway should see some more favorable coverage looks.
I'll bet Harris starts drawing more attention. He's always been a speedy deep threat, but quickly outran his QBs range, nullifying his threat. Not anymore. According to videos JW2 posted, Winston spent a lot of time developing off-season chemistry with Harris. Including the now semi-famous clip where JW2 tells Harris "keep running", or something to that effect. The Packers saw it Sunday. And now the entire NFL has seen it too.

I'm not sure teams "feared" the Saints anymore. DB9 was still a technician, but not the assassin QB he once was. While opponents didn't look forward to playing the Saints, they didn't fear it either. Probably breathed a sigh of relief when DB9 retired, and thought "they'll regress a little."

But after Sunday's game, probably looking at their schedules with unease, thinking "jeezus...how do we defend THIS?"

Imagine if we had actual X and Y threats to push the envelope. Right now we just have Z. It's always been strange watching other teams executing with just 4 defensive players in camera view of the QB.

They had nightmares of seeing Jameis to Callaway, 40 to 50 yards, all game....so they locked that down. But forgot that we actually had other players on the field. Undrafted Free Agent Players.....but players none-the-less.....and Kamara.
My post when Jameis hit Harris on the bomb:

SP: "You Like that!!!"​
"Just putting that on film for the rest of our scheduled foes..."​

I know trautman had 2 drops. He better shore that up. Kevin White had 2 drops and that landed him on the practice squad.
Trautman really only dropped 1 pass. The other you’re referring to was too far in front of him. I think he might’ve gotten his fingers on it, but I think it was almost uncatchable.

I agree about things opening up even more once MT returns, but I think that Calloway will get his before that happens. I have confidence that SP is scheming for it - he is a tricky coach. I remember there were games where Colston would be pretty quiet and then explode the following week based on game planning and I feel that was by design. It’s coming.

Trautman really only dropped 1 pass. The other you’re referring to was too far in front of him. I think he might’ve gotten his fingers on it, but I think it was almost uncatchable.
I think Trautman will be fine. Hell, I saw Waller drop a few easy catches last night, though he's a proven commodity and Trautman is not.

And to the point above, that bomb to Harris was a clear message sent. I was shocked when they showed Winston was still under 100 yards prior to that pass. Good running game and efficient passing game.

The play that impressed me the most from Winston was the fourth down pass to Ju. First for throwing the ball at all while being drug down - on fourth you can force a throw even if it gets picked at the back of the endzone (don't want to throw a short pick that can be returned). Second for putting it in a place that only Juwan could get to it - again while being drug down. Taking a sack does no good there. I'll admit that I wasn't in agreement with Payton on going for it on those two fourth downs on the drive. But by gambling and succeeding, he sent a clear message and put GB catch up mode early.

Stills is going to draw coverage away from Harris/Callaway.
I also like Johnson and Hogan being reliable bodies down near the goal line.

Like everyone has mentioned, our WR's have been asked to run 20 yards and cut in for far too long. We will finally see what they are actually capable of and probably why the FO hasn't been that worried about drafting a top flight WR for a while.

Lol, they need more drafted receivers though. Would be that much easier.

LOL indeed. I think the Saints coaching staff knew all along what we had in Calloway and Harris. I honestly hope we can find another return guy because I think Harris is becoming to valuable as a WR to return kicks/punts....

I agree about things opening up even more once MT returns, but I think that Calloway will get his before that happens. I have confidence that SP is scheming for it - he is a tricky coach. I remember there were games where Colston would be pretty quiet and then explode the following week based on game planning and I feel that was by design. It’s coming.

It could come as early as this Sunday if Carolina loads up the box to stop the run.....

Well said, as great as Drew was he was holding the offense back to some degree, in some ways. The talent on the O-line and Kamara definitely helped. If You don't put as much emphasis on the oline starting in 2016 + land Kamara even with Drew that offense isn't as good.

I do hope Callaway gets to eat eventually. Seems like he’s come too far to become an afterthought.
Callaway will eat this Sunday! I had him projected at 1-2 catches against Jaire Alexander and the Packers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom