Saints averaged a whopping 4.31 yards of separation on targeted passes (2 Viewers)

Which is absolutely ridiculous on every level lol
It's like the nonsense about Belichick's success being because of Brady. They complemented the hell out of each other. Same for Brees and Payton. Belichick was best with Brady, no doubt, but he also had a great season with Matt Cassell who wasn't very good with KC.

Dunno - it seems that Brees haters from the getgo have made up any and all excuses to diminish his accomplishments.

Look at his number of MVP's...
true. and don't get me started on Brees' lack of MVPs. It seems like every time he had an "MVP caliber" season, the metric changed to disqualify him. But with that said, the argument you demonstrated is that Brees' legacy has already been mitigated by "haters".

If the success of JW2 somehow makes those arguments "stick" and diminishes Brees' legacy, it will be a first. But us Saints fans know what it's like to experience "firsts". How many times have we been on the short end of the stick for crappy things that have NEVER happened before?

If Jamies balls out, everyone needs to be prepared that this will be the narrative in the media and Brees’ rep will absolutely take a hit.
Well CSP is 9-3 in meaningful games that DB9 does not start( I’m not counting wk 17 games when HFA was clinched), but DB9 went 7-9 when CSP was suspended.

Too bad SP didn't address that problem throughout his tenure.

Just think what Drew's rep would have been...
Most definitely, and I'm not jumping on a Drew vs Jameis conversation, but the narrative (especially here) is that Drew made Sean look better than he actually is.
I think it's more that Sean took what Drew liked and molded an offense around him and the two went on to conquer the league.

Sean's only real failing is that it took him all of Drew's prime to finally get a legit defense figured out.

I think Juwan Johnson being open in the endzone by 10 yards helped that stat too. Even one of Trautman's drops he was open by 6 yards.

Well CSP is 9-3 in meaningful games that DB9 does not start( I’m not counting wk 17 games when HFA was clinched), but DB9 went 7-9 when CSP was suspended.
Not really even comparable. Different rosters, coaches, etc

Although it is really nice to see Payton when he doesn’t have Brees to rely on, he is forced to truly be strategic and we get to see him really do his thing.

They both are partially responsible for each other’s success.

I’ve heard great coaches say the best players ever make the people around them better. There’s no argument Drew did that. He even did that tremendously for Winston.

What you're finally seeing is normal spacing. We've been playing in a compressed 20 yard box for the last 5 years. The fact that we've still consistently demolished the regular season while playing like this is simply astounding and a testament to the quality of our o-line and Kamara. If you watch other teams play, they consistently hit what look to be ridiculously easy 20-30 yard completions and we sit there with our hands up asking What the Fork! because we never get those easy yards. Once the safeties actually have to stay on top of the receivers and the LB have to stay in close to prevent Kamara then the entire intermediary zone of come backs, in routes, drags etc become easy.
The fact that Drew Brees statistically played his best football the last 3 years is beyond remarkable given his absence of a threat of the deep ball.

He had a QB Rating of 113 between 2018-2020. It's the greatest 3-year run of any quarterback in NFL history. His career QB rating was 97 up to that point.

That's mind blowing.

Maybe.

But Montana's rep didn't suffer when Steve Young balled. Favre's rep didn't take a hit when Rodgers balled. Manning's rep wasn't diminished when Luck balled. So I kinda doubt Brees' rep will take a hit if JW2 balls out. Maybe....but history says its not likely.
This. This years team very different from last years team. Same as with other QB legends you listed and thier replacements.

Too bad SP didn't address that problem throughout his tenure.

Just think what Drew's rep would have been...

Translation - too bad we didn't hire Jeff Ireland 10 years earlier....

He also had some overthrows that his WRs touched the sky and bailed him out on, so that balanced out.

Yeah, it's almost if they actually practiced high pointing throws/catches in the offseason....or something.

If we can get Stills in the game at the same time as Callaway, defenses won't be able to cover everyone. Stills, Callaway, Hill, JJ, AK...

If we can get Stills in the game at the same time as Callaway, defenses won't be able to cover everyone. Stills, Callaway, Hill, JJ, AK...
I don't think we will cause the type of problem you're describing until MT13 returns to his 2019 form.

Then the sky is the limit for Jameis and this offense.

Maybe.

But Montana's rep didn't suffer when Steve Young balled. Favre's rep didn't take a hit when Rodgers balled. Manning's rep wasn't diminished when Luck balled. So I kinda doubt Brees' rep will take a hit if JW2 balls out. Maybe....but history says its not likely.
The media loved the QB’s you listed above. They also have always been reluctant on Drew bc of his lack of tangibles….while I’d argue he deserves more credit bc of what he accomplished without the same tangibles as the QB’s listed above.

I think they’re waiting for a reason to discredit what he’s done. If Jameis plays great, this will be their opportunity to say it was more system than Brees’ talent….it’ll be especially easy bc a lot of the media also likes to mock Jameis and won’t want to give him his credit, if deserved.

Itll suck having to hear it, but I think we will have to hear it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom