Saints being officiated differently from opponents (1 Viewer)

efil4stnias

one lonely Beastie i be...
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Mich - I respect your point very much. And it's likely spot-on.

But I am just going to throw this up in case it has some validity. Earlier in my career, I was an exec at Fortune 15 Valero Energy, 28,000 employees. A huge company. It was an eye-opener for me to see how many perceived problems of the very senior execs were handled. We would sit in 2-hour meetings with the leadership team listening to the plan and how it would be implemented. Most plans seemed somewhat reasonable. Then I would get a call for a private meeting with my boss, where I am being told, "Forget what you learned in the meeting. 'The Word' from above is saying to tear the leader of that project to pieces. Give them no support at all and be a roadblock when you can do it without being caught!"

And "The Word"got implemented even though it was totally against the agreed upon plan by the leadership plan.

Valero = Big Money.

NFL = Big Money.

there are ONLY 32 owners in the entire WORLD who, at the end of the day, are looking to protect and maximize their investment.

Green-Ghost

Green-Ghost
Reaction score
Until recent times, people accepted the fact that official calls are judgmental. People understood human error is a fact of life. Official calls were accepted as long as they were non-biased.

The blatant no call last year, changed all that. This year, there is more pressure on the referees. Fans from all teams are questioning all calls.

Whether they realize or not, I think referees are, "Taking their frustrations out on the Saints".

ilvdsnts

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
If it is not being managed from above, then it is just individual refs or ref groups applying bias on their own? That would be more likely, but it probably be more inconsistent as different ref groups cover the Saints. Guess the worst case is all refs are POed at us because of noise made after Ram game last year.
After a few lopsided called games early in the season, we had a few that were called fairly, then since the bye its been lopsided again. Maybe they thought with Teddy @ QB they didn't need to assist the other teams or maybe its only some of the crews. In our 11 games we have had 10 of the 17 crews, we had Brad Allen twice. Only one of the crews had an official from the no call game.
The 7 officials on the field for the no call came from 5 different crews. Of those 7 officials only one has had a Saints game and none in the Dome. The Line Judge who was at the Line of Scrimmage on the opposite side of the field was in our game @ Jacksonville.

HoustonCajun

Veteran Starter
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I can't enjoy the Saints games like I should be able to, especially the close ones. Every time we make a big stop on D or have an explosive play on O, I'm caught in fan purgatory for about 5 - 10 seconds to make sure a flag isn't thrown. That's not what watching football should be like; takes away instant celebrations with who I'm watching the game with. Complete bs
Feel the exact same way. After every big plan I'm looking for, and expecting, a flag. That's not enjoyable.

Bayouboy

Football Genius
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I still don't totally believe there is a conspiracy against the Saints in regards to officials/penalties/etc., but the circumstantial evidence is starting to pile up. The no call last year was an obvious gaffe......but the game this past Sunday as a whole really had me scratching my head. It's a small miracle the Saints were able to win that contest.

Saint Spud

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I still don't totally believe there is a conspiracy against the Saints in regards to officials/penalties/etc., but the circumstantial evidence is starting to pile up. The no call last year was an obvious gaffe......but the game this past Sunday as a whole really had me scratching my head. It's a small miracle the Saints were able to win that contest.
Yeah, I think there’s nuance to it.

I don’t think Al Riveron called a meeting or sent out a memo to stack things against the Saints.

But I do think Riveron wasn’t happy Payton went public with his admission and I do think officials, in general, don’t like Payton spearheading am extra level of accountability with review.

So it may not be intentional, but I certainly think there’s extreme bias.

Reaction score
Did you know...?
In the last three games, counting the penalties and the big plays wiped out, the Saints started the game with an average handicap of 80 yards.
Against the Panthers they were also robbed of a 40 yard pass to Ginn and of an OPI committed by Olson. That’s an handicap of 130 yards.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom