Saints being officiated differently from opponents (1 Viewer)

BoNcHiE

Every team's Elixor
Reaction score
More data:

These penalties always seem to happen on critical downs too, especially late in the play once the play's result is virtually determined.

We were one of the least penalized teams in the NFL last year, and now all of a sudden, we're one of the worst in the NFL?
Holy crap...

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
More data:

These penalties always seem to happen on critical downs too, especially late in the play once the play's result is virtually determined.

We were one of the least penalized teams in the NFL last year, and now all of a sudden, we're one of the worst in the NFL?
This is just pure insanity. The gap between us and the second largest differential is huge! There isn't a larger gap between any other team. This is clear evidence that the Saints are being officiated differently, and by a massive margin. This is bananas! If these stats are accurate, this needs to be sent out to Florio or anyone who can expand and point out the obvious to a large audience.

mdharper

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Referees have always had "unconscious" biased towards one team over another. They go into a game expecting one team to win and that influences how they call the game. This has been known for a long time but never really discussed among polite circles.

Then it obviously effected the outcome of an important game and brought increase scrutiny on their profession. We noticed it happen in the past in a couple of occasions in quick succession and the resulting outcry brought us instant replay. Referees really, really hated it, but had no choice but to suck it up and put up with it.

Now, unlike after instant replay, many of the referees have a specific target to take their frustrations out upon.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
1574902895375.jpeg

both teams after the win last Sunday. Even the panthers know we’re being forked by the league
To be fair, a lot of players participate in cross-team prayer after the games. This doesn't have anything to do with protesting the league.

Super44

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
A single curve doesn't mean much of anything without comparing it to the NFL average.
I think the most telling aspect of a more accurate curve, would be a variance from year to year under Payton. If a curve was put together (combined) indicating the total penalties this year against the Saints, the average amount per year against the Saints , the average amount per year called against all teams combined and the average called against all teams combined this year, you would have a better and more comprehensive curve.

EvilMike

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
My rant as always, no electricity in the refs locker room, no heat or AC, gas station sandwhiches to eat, book them at the Motel 6, blame it all on mechanical problems.

EvilMike

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
No one has mentioned our final drive, where the refs blew 2 obvious calls. First there was the helmet to helmet hit on Kamara and then the late shove down 10 yards out of bounds. I guarantee this would've been called on the Saints.

guillermo

Visible minority
Reaction score
A single curve doesn't mean much of anything without comparing it to the NFL average.
To be honest, I think the officiating has been pathetic all around the league. I don't have any conspiracy theories. I just think that league was not prepared for the retirement of many refs, and more importantly, have not shown any interest in the importance of refereeing for the game.

Mike Pereira left on a power conflict, Dean Blandino left for higher salaries on TV, and Al Riveron is to say at least, incompetent.

dutar76

4th Year Vet
Reaction score
To be honest, I think the officiating has been pathetic all around the league. I don't have any conspiracy theories. I just think that league was not prepared for the retirement of many refs, and more importantly, have not shown any interest in the importance of refereeing for the game.

Mike Pereira left on a power conflict, Dean Blandino left for higher salaries on TV, and Al Riveron is to say at least, incompetent.
Inexperienced refs is one theory and it has merit. But I tend to lean a different way. I think the current situation isn't really any different than it's always been. It's just that there's more information and views readily available to the average fan now days.

Not too many years ago, if you wanted to figure out the penalty count for and against a team, you pretty much had to hope one of the announcers mentioned it, or you had to save newspaper clippings of box scores and use a calculator. Now days, with just a few clicks of the mouse, you can put calculate whether or not the numbers add-up, so to speak.

In game, fans have cried foul ever since football (and other sports) first began. But there was no definitive proof that you could point at as well... as proof. You can google and/or youtube any play and watch and rewatch it as many times is you want to now days. Back in the day, you had to hope they showed a replay of the play during the game itself.

Maybe reffing hasn't actually changed? Maybe it's just that today's technology allows all of us to put reffing under the microscope.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom