Saints being officiated differently from opponents (1 Viewer)

All solid points.

The other penalty that frustrated me Sunday was Marcus Williams (who has had a strong season otherwise) committing PI in the endzone because he didn't turn around to look for the ball. I understand that in the middle of the field DBs don't look back for the ball because that can result in the WR going deep and burning them for a TD. But Marcus knew he was in the back of the endzone...There was no danger of being torched deep. You can turn your head there!

The enigmatic play of Marcus Williams is another thread in itself.

Whether it's shoddy tackling which continues to be an issue even after it cost the team a game or details such as the one you articulated above...it is maddening how he can play lights out in one quarter or play and be so Busch League the next.

Just when you think he continues to trend upward he will display putrid tackling which allows a touchdown or miss all together to permit yards after the catch.

I guess that is the difference between being slightly above average and All-Pro.

I would say, it might keep getting worse because we are 9-2. They've tried so hard to screw us but we keep winning!

Because it's all circumstantial...there are seven other teams more penalized than the Saints.

Thanks for looking up the stats. imho, what many of us Who Dats are seeing is that the penalties being called on the Saints are costing us more 1st downs, points scored and defensive stops than any other team. I wish there were some comparative stats to prove this.

It doesn't take a scientific study to know this; anyone paying attention to our games can see it. Still, I found this tweet very interesting:

I knew it.

Great analysis. Didn’t know where to find that data.

Someone send that to Goodell and Riveron and tell them we are on to it.

Not that it will matter.

Think I’ll put it on the NFL Twitter.

These calls will de-sensitize the masses so that by the time the Saints get that game-changing penalty called on them in the playoffs, the masses will just credit it to the Saints being an undisciplined team that always shoots themselves in the foot.
I think it’s called a “long con”

I'll take it from another angle - not saying I disagree - but offer up a different perspective. The other teams know that to beat the teams they cannot beat themselves so they have to play penalty free to give themselves any real shot. It's something all coaches preach throughout the season.

When you have the owners rolling over like Jerry did in the Dallas lost then there will be little change. It is "one of the things you have to live with." If that does not scream apathetic then I do not know what does, and if the owners do not perceive it as a problem because money continues to flow in through TV contracts and other avenues then do not expect a drastic change.

If anything, the attention will call into question the future referee teams and I'd expect the number of penalties to decrease against the Saints.

With that said, the Saints need to stop with the dumb "hands to the face" penalties and plays like Cam Jordan's from Sunday when the QB was already being sacked and the whistle was being blown right in his ear.

Brave stance to take here on our dumb penalties. I don't completely agree with you but I also can't disagree with you. I do very much respect you for this post!

These calls will de-sensitize the masses so that by the time the Saints get that game-changing penalty called on them in the playoffs, the masses will just credit it to the Saints being an undisciplined team that always shoots themselves in the foot.

That's really scary Latt! Thanks much for the post

Brave stance to take here on our dumb penalties. I don't completely agree with you but I also can't disagree with you. I do very much respect you for this post!

I'm just as emotionally charged about the calls than any one Swimmer. I was screaming things at my TV my kids have not heard in years, but I only hope to offer up a perspective through critical thinking. One tied to logic and reason rather than hyperbole.

You cannot affect what others do but you can affect what you do...Coach Payton has an awesome teaching and motivational tool in the open if he cares to use it.

Straight from the propaganda playbook.

They already think that.

Watch other games. Watch how other teams DB's can put their hands on opposing WR, or grab them around the waist and knock the ball away without being called for holding. (we get called EVERY time). Watch how other teams can run pick plays, or hold on offense and NEVER get called. And I haven't seen offensive Pass interference called WITHOUT the offensive player extending their arm or INITIATING contact.

The networks have STOPPED replaying penalties called against us because it is just TOO OBVIOUS.

It doesn't take a scientific study to know this; anyone paying attention to our games can see it. Still, I found this tweet very interesting:

So the implied conclusion would be it is intentional and being managed by someone or group? If so, how would this work? An instruction to refs would come down from above saying to tilt calls against Saints? A conspiracy like that would involve many people, and all knowing it is corrupt and I am guessing illegal (due to gambling legalities now if nothing else). Just seems something like that would leak out with so many having to be involved. Also, think about the leverage that would give the refs in negotiations with NFL for pay and benefits. Give us what we want or we're going public.

If it is not being managed from above, then it is just individual refs or ref groups applying bias on their own? That would be more likely, but it probably be more inconsistent as different ref groups cover the Saints. Guess the worst case is all refs are POed at us because of noise made after Ram game last year.

So the implied conclusion would be it is intentional and being managed by someone or group? If so, how would this work? An instruction to refs would come down from above saying to tilt calls against Saints? A conspiracy like that would involve many people, and all knowing it is corrupt and I am guessing illegal (due to gambling legalities now if nothing else). Just seems something like that would leak out with so many having to be involved. Also, think about the leverage that would give the refs in negotiations with NFL for pay and benefits. Give us what we want or we're going public.

If it is not being managed from above, then it is just individual refs or ref groups applying bias on their own? That would be more likely, but it probably be more inconsistent as different ref groups cover the Saints. Guess the worst case is all refs are POed at us because of noise made after Ram game last year.
No for the gazzilioonth time.

It doens't have to be managed.

It just has to be bias on the part of the human refs who dislike or have a grudge against Payton and the Saints. It influences decisions, consciously or unconsciously but I am sure at times quite consciously.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom